Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Obstacles and Pushing
Ships may not move through islands, reefs, other ships or off edges of the map. When a ship collides with a map
obstacle (island, reef, or map edge), the ship stops. When a ship collides with another ship, the other ship is pushed
along until the first ship’s movement is completed, or until the pushed ship collides with an obstacle that prevents
either ship from moving further.

If a ship pushes another ship that then hits another ship, do all ships get shunted along? Is there a limit (e.g. up to two ships only can be moved by the pushing ship)?

Quote:
Q4) If a wind pushes me into another player, causing them to be pushed onto a wind or whirlpool themselves, do
they move afterwards?
A4) No. Map effects happen simultaneously, and if a player was not on a wind location when the wind began to
move ships, then it will not be moved by wind.

I see how wind can come and go but surely whirlpools just keep on whirling, and so any ship pushed on to one would suffer the consequences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions -- thanks!

inuitmyth909 wrote:
Quote:
Obstacles and Pushing
Ships may not move through islands, reefs, other ships or off edges of the map. When a ship collides with a map
obstacle (island, reef, or map edge), the ship stops. When a ship collides with another ship, the other ship is pushed
along until the first ship’s movement is completed, or until the pushed ship collides with an obstacle that prevents
either ship from moving further.

If a ship pushes another ship that then hits another ship, do all ships get shunted along? Is there a limit (e.g. up to two ships only can be moved by the pushing ship)?

No limit, no. In actual play, it's very rare that more than 1 or 2 ships are ever pushed, and I didn't want to clutter up the rulebook with such special-case rules.

inuitmyth909 wrote:
Quote:
Q4) If a wind pushes me into another player, causing them to be pushed onto a wind or whirlpool themselves, do
they move afterwards?
A4) No. Map effects happen simultaneously, and if a player was not on a wind location when the wind began to
move ships, then it will not be moved by wind.

I see how wind can come and go but surely whirlpools just keep on whirling, and so any ship pushed on to one would suffer the consequences?

Thematically, I see your point. We wanted to keep things simple, and did it this way so that ships are only affected by a maximum of one map element per Bell. Perhaps the most thematic interpretation of this that I can offer is that -- while the ship is being pushed by the straight wind, the sailors are prepping for the next movement order, and when they get to the whirlpool, they're already moving quickly enough through it that they can pass through fairly unhindered (similar to charging through a whirlpool or wind with a multi-move).

Thanks for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RL answer to the Whirlpool.
Ships caught in one or see it coming and can prepare can slingshot out by speeding along the track of the vortex.

So as Clint pointed out above, wind blows you into one but the crew see it looming and prepare. Whereas if you hit it first then you didnt have time to prepare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, very cool responses. And apologies if I sounded negative, at most I was thoughtful.

It would be so chaotic if these pools just kept chucking people here and there ala Fast Flowing Forest Fellers and that a stop-start nature like the conveyors in Roborally is needed.

So excited about this game : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.