4 Posts

7 Wonders: Cities» Forums » General

Subject: Certain resources now out of balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason M
Canada
flag msg tools
The new two wonders have brick and stone as their starting resources. This means that there are now two wonders that have brick (Petras and Babylon) and two that have stone (Gizah and Byzantine) as their starting resource. I believe that this makes these wonders (slightly) less valuable relative to all the others since the resource they provide is in greater supply overall if both of those wonders are in play. In a five person game if Gizah, Byzantine, Petras, Babylon, and Alexandria are all in play (for example) then I believe the Alexandria player (with a unique resource) has a distinct advantage.

I know it might be a minor shift in power but nevertheless I am considering a house rule that if the one of the wonders with brick (for example) is chosen then the other wonder with brick cannot be picked. Does this make sense to anyone else or am I crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't think it matters. People are going to draft cards by what they need. So if they site between both Bricks, they won't be drafting brick cards and focus on other things. those cards will probably be picked by others not adjacent to the brick wonders. It all balances out.

The other thing to look at (which I haven't done) is see what the new City card require. We only have a few samples in the rules but a lot of them have the double brick and stone (makes sense to build this city on stable foundations). So there appears to be a need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pogoman59 wrote:
The new two wonders have brick and stone as their starting resources. This means that there are now two wonders that have brick (Petras and Babylon) and two that have stone (Gizah and Byzantine) as their starting resource. I believe that this makes these wonders (slightly) less valuable relative to all the others since the resource they provide is in greater supply overall if both of those wonders are in play. In a five person game if Gizah, Byzantine, Petras, Babylon, and Alexandria are all in play (for example) then I believe the Alexandria player (with a unique resource) has a distinct advantage.

I know it might be a minor shift in power but nevertheless I am considering a house rule that if the one of the wonders with brick (for example) is chosen then the other wonder with brick cannot be picked. Does this make sense to anyone else or am I crazy?

I think you might only be seeing this at the first level. The resources and their distribution and usage is really pretty complicated. See the resources sections of this fantastic post:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370/some-complex-strategi...

TL;DR version of the thread: Brick and Stone show up less on cards than other resources. But being shut out of larger quantities of brick and stone shuts you out of more cards than any other resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the worst ones are the Side A of wonders that produce and advanced resource (Halikarnassos, Babilonia and Olympia if I am not mistaken).

Those three produce one glass, cloth or papyrus, but they need 2 of those to get the third stage of their wonder. It is very rare for their neighbors to actually build the corresponding resource (since they can buy it from you).

No card requires you two copies of the same advanced resource, hence you either forget about building the third stage, or you must spend two turns tu build it...The only possible way of avoiding this is being lucky and getting the caravanserai (the card of the 2nd phase that gives you one advanced resource)

In my opinion this is way more unbalanced that there being slightly more stone over iron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.