Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I just an iPhone from my company (poor me). I like to keep my phone in my pocket, not attached to my belt. My old phone was a blackberry clone and while the screen got some fine scratches, it never affected use.

I don't want to have to fiddle with screen protectors but want to know if scratches will affect the use of the touchscreen and to what degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do yourself a huge favor and get an Otterbox Defender case.

The iPhone screen doesn't scratch *super* easy but they still scratch, and no, no affect on the touch screen that I've seen.

The Otterbox has a screen protector built in and makes very little difference to me in the sensitivity either. Protects my iPhone like a damn. I'll never buy another style of case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thing about Otterbox is that you can disassemble the case, wash it, let it dry and put it back on.

I wouldn't have a phone without an otterbox.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-/-4S-Defender-Series-Case/A...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Great thing about Otterbox is that you can disassemble the case, wash it, let it dry and put it back on.

This is also true of a sock.

Let me rephrase: I want a reason to not buy any protection for my iPhone - I just want to be able to plunk it in my pocket and not worry about it.

If minor scratches are nothing to be concerned about, I'm going to just go for it. I'll report back any humorous disasters that may occur as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my iPhone for about 5 months. It's been in my pocket most of the time with no screen protector. Although I have a couple of small, shallow scratches, I haven't noticed any issues at all with the touchscreen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As a gamer, I'm surprised you haven't thought of a 3"x5" zip-lock bag!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: Don't leave it in your pocket and leave your pants on the floor.
Because your wife will wash the pants and the phone, and give you hell for not emptying the pockets and leaving them on the floor in the first place.

True story. And still a little too fresh in my memory, truth be told.
The new replacement phone is going to cost $160. Professional repair was attempted but it didn't work. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
... Because your wife will wash the pants ...

Never gonna happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iphone screens shatter when the wind changes direction at an alarmingly high rate.

Otterboxes are your best bet but still not perfect.

Despite what people say, iPhones are not perfect and if you have to replace it you are going to get financially plundered regardless of protection options.

Anyone who tells you different is a liar.

Signed, someone who used to work with iPhones on a daily basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my iphone 3GS to Afghanistan in 2009-2010. It still has a tiny bit of dirt in the cracks. I treat it like absolute shit and the screen is fine. The buttons on the top and side don't work properly, but the screen is fine. I am typing this on my 3GS and I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I can only speak for this one phone, but I don't think it is necessary to pay for a case.

My wife did break her 4S screen by stepping on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped my 4S from the 4th floor stairwell all the way down, and other than a minor scratch on the screen, it's no worse for the wear - it just needed a reset, and off we go. It's worked for almost a year since that without a hitch.

I did, however, have it on a softcase. I believe that's what saved it :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a gelaskin (link) to protect my iphone. It weighs almost nothing, comes off without any trouble, and provides a more "grippy" grip when holding the otherwise slippery (to me) phone.

And I use a screen protector to, well, protect the screen. Again, no real increase in weight, the screen doesn't get scratched to hell, and I can slip the phone into my pocket without fear.

I used to do the fancy, heavy cases, but now I like to go as minimal as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't understand why people put their phones through so much abuse.

In the morning, I pick my phone up from its resting place on my dresser and put it in my pocket. At any point during the day, if I need to use it, I take it out of my pocket and use it. When I'm done, I put it back in my pocket. At the end of the day, I put it back on my dresser. At no time is there ever any danger of destroying the phone.

What's so hard about that? It seems like some people go around bashing their phones against brick walls just for fun.

Use your phone in a reasonable manner and you won't have any need to ensconce it in an enchanted suit of +10 armor, forged of adamantium in the fires of Mount Doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A week and a half later.

I've decided that for all the praise that people heap upon the iPhone, it is in no way perfect.

Hardware: Battery! Why you no last more than 3 hours!? Really Apple? I can't go more than 3 hours without finding a damn plug? yes, I can turn off locations and email push and wifi and bluetooth and you might last a whole day. But why the fuck do you have these features if they are completely unusable because of shitty battery life?

On the software side, the apps are dandy but the interface still doesn't seem meet my needs. At a very basic level, if I turn the iPhone sideways, I expect the screen to follow -- with some apps this happens but with basic iPhone navigation it does not.

Design. I decided to start off with no case or protector. This is a product that is supposed to be a beloved example of beauty and seamless design. My thinking is, if Apple wanted your phone to be encased in 18 layers of kevlar, they would have encased it in 18 layers of kevlar. Who else produces a product that is used every day and hasn't designed it to withstand everyday use? So I decided to ride my phone barebacked.

Sadly, this is entirely impractical - not from a protection stand point but from a usability one. The phone is so damn slippery I can only set it down on a flat, hard surface. Arm of the couch? nope. On my leg? nope. Last weekend, I decided I had to compromise on design and usability. I cut out pads from black 3M No-Slip adhesive and did a fairly amateur job of making the phone slip free - very slip free.

Also, softkeys suck. I love the big screen but softkeys seriously suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: battery life

Turn off bluetooth, wifi and personal hotspot.
Turn off Facebook Notifications (or get rid of it altogether!). Such a battery suck.
Set any other notifications to never/low.
Turn off vibrate if possible.
Close any apps you're not using.
Poll for email every 30-60 minutes instead of 15.
Turn off cell data if you're not needing it constantly.

Occasionally (about every 6 months or so) I will fully wipe/reset my phone. Helps a LOT.

Those helped me go from one day battery life to almost 2. YMMV depending on what else you've got going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
puggeroni wrote:

Turn off Facebook Notifications (or get rid of it altogether!). Such a battery suck.

Occasionally (about every 6 months or so) I will fully wipe/reset my phone. Helps a LOT.

Those helped me go from one day battery life to almost 2. YMMV depending on what else you've got going on.

In other words disable all the features that make your smartphone smart.

Lamephone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
CrankyPants wrote:
Let me rephrase: I want a reason to not buy any protection for my iPhone
Do you really want to take that chance?
SAFE AND AFFORDABLE:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puggeroni wrote:

I have no idea how you guys' phones run out of battery so fast...
I have a iPhone 4

I've got wifi on at all times, even when I'm not near a wifi hotspot.
Every single program has notifications on, except for facebook.
Vibration is off, but that's only because the notifications wake me up at night...
Cell data is on, and my phone pulls email and so on as often as possible.
I almost never turn off programs, and play games for at least an hour a day, combined. And that's a slow day

Still, my phone goes days without needing a charge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.