Hide
13 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing Train Car cards ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a player choose to draw 2 cards directly from the Train Car deck instead of choosing from the face up cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Pond
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
yes. and better yet, the "if you draw a train you can only draw one card"-rule doesn't apply there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
odo1982 wrote:
yes. and better yet, the "if you draw a train you can only draw one card"-rule doesn't apply there

Yes, this is correct, but I think you mean the "only draw one engine card" rule.

A player draws two cards on his turn unless he takes a face-up engine. Otherwise, a player is free to choose any two cards he would like, including two facedown cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the clarification.

My wife and I played for the 1st time last night and we didnt know since the directions didn't mention that you could choose 2 cards from the deck.

We would always choose a face up card and replace it then either choose another face up card or a card from the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:
Quote:
Draw Train Car Cards – The player may draw 2 Train Car cards. He may take any one of the face-up cards or he may draw the top card from the deck (this is a blind draw). If he draws a face up card, he immediately turns a replacement card face-up from the deck. He then draws his second card, either from the face up cards or from the top of the deck. (See Train Car Cards for special rules for Locomotive cards)

That is, you actually don't draw two cards from the deck or from anywhere: you draw first one card and then another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard L
Australia
Woy Woy
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:

That is, you actually don't draw two cards from the deck or from anywhere: you draw first one card and then another one.

That is a very nice clarification of the rule, Sven.

My family still thinks of this action as 'Draw 2 cards', even as we do the immediate replacement for face-up cards.

The rule is actually saying draw one card, twice. (Unless it is a face-up locomotive).

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonKrumm wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:

That is a very nice clarification of the rule, Sven.

My family still thinks of this action as 'Draw 2 cards', even as we do the immediate replacement for face-up cards.

The rule is actually saying draw one card, twice. (Unless it is a face-up locomotive).

Thanks.

Actually, we house rule on ANY map (including the ones I made) that the player can choose whether he draws the 2 cards at once or one after the other. This adds a little bit of choices to the player without slowing the game.

- Most of the time I would rather take one, wait until I know either what I received (from the face-down deck) or what is the new revealed card (if I took a face-up one);
- But if there is 2 engines and 2 orange among the face-up cards and I really need those two oranges, I would take them together to avoid the first one being replaced by a third engine (and therefore seeing the second orange be discarded before I can take it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
- But if there is 2 engines and 2 orange among the face-up cards and I really need those two oranges, I would take them together to avoid the first one being replaced by a third engine (and therefore seeing the second orange be discarded before I can take it).

That's the reason you might want to do it, but it's still cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Frencois wrote:

Hum, I would argue that cheating is by definition not respecting the rules, and that the whole purpose of house rules (providing of course they are agreed by every player before the game) is to be able to play a variant without cheating - hence the name.

... or it's just me being french.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolter schaap
Netherlands
Arnhem
gelderland
flag msg tools
good argument, can`t it be both ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
Since Francois explicitly stated that it's a house-rule, it's not "cheating" so much as "they changed the rules."

(That being said, as long as Francois is cognizant of the fact that those are not the rules as published, and if he attempted that in an outside game he would almost definitely be called on it, it's all good. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
Frencois wrote:

Hum, I would argue that cheating is by definition not respecting the rules, and that the whole purpose of house rules (providing of course they are agreed by every player before the game) is to be able to play a variant without cheating - hence the name.

No.

It's him being Canadian!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Frencois wrote:

No.

It's him being Canadian!

shake

Hehe... now we definitively have to get TTR to be accepted as an Olympics' game. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.