Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about activating and suggested printables rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mush Mush
msg tools
Hello! I have a couple questions about activating systems I want answered before my first game.

1. When retreating, when is the system retreated to to be activated? Must it be before combat even began? What about qhen concerning abilities or cards that allow retreating?

2. If you transfer between systems, can one system be activated before the action, or must they be activated at the same time always?

Also, could you suggest some printables that will help people who are not particularily versed in the rules to play more effectively and quickly?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When declaring a tactical you place the Command Counter at the time of the retreat declaration.
If it is a normal retreat then the system needs to have been activated previously in a previous turn .

In a transfer Action both systems are activated at the same time. If one was previously activated it cannot be used.


This tech checklist can help:
http://bgg.cc/filepage/78096/tech-checklist-with-units-v2-0
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madeofmush wrote:
1. When retreating, when is the system retreated to to be activated? Must it be before combat even began? What about qhen concerning abilities or cards that allow retreating?

In the base set, to retreat, the system must already be activated before the activation. The Shattered Empire expansion added an option for "Tactical Retreats" which allows you the opportunity to activate an adjacent system when declaring the retreat.

Quote:
2. If you transfer between systems, can one system be activated before the action, or must they be activated at the same time always?

To do a transfer action, you activate both systems with one action. If a system is already activated, it cannot be one of the two systems chosen for a Transfer action.


Alas, I'm not very familiar with the various printouts available; the file section has a few, but I don't know which ones are good or not.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say the only printouts you need are a tech tree and the distant sun tokens. It gets old passing the book around the table every few minutes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mush Mush
msg tools
Can I work Tactical Retreats in the base? What are the requirements?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madeofmush wrote:
Can I work Tactical Retreats in the base? What are the requirements?

Yes, you can. The only requirement is that the system you activate for a tactical retreat cannot have any enemy ships in it. Also, for Tactical Retreats, the Command Counter you place comes out of your Strategy Allocation section, NOT your Command Pool section.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
madeofmush wrote:
Can I work Tactical Retreats in the base? What are the requirements?

Yes, you can. The only requirement is that the system you activate for a tactical retreat cannot have any enemy ships in it. Also, for Tactical Retreats, the Command Counter you place comes out of your Strategy Allocation section, NOT your Command Pool section.


It can't contain any enemy UNITS, not just limited to ships.

OP - you can download all the expansion rules and FAQ from here (note, tactical retreats rule is updated in the FAQ from the original expansion rules)
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
madeofmush wrote:
Can I work Tactical Retreats in the base? What are the requirements?

Yes, you can. The only requirement is that the system you activate for a tactical retreat cannot have any enemy ships in it. Also, for Tactical Retreats, the Command Counter you place comes out of your Strategy Allocation section, NOT your Command Pool section.


It can't contain any enemy UNITS, not just limited to ships.

Ah, yes; I was going off memory, and forgot that part. (I think it's kinda silly, personally, but that's the rule. "Sorry, sir, we can't retreat to that sector, there is an army on that planet!")
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it helps prevent abusing tactical retreats to blockade space docks or avoid pds fire.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris JS
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
There is no indication that you didn't know already--but just in case--in a transfer action one of you command counters comes from your command pool but the other comes from your reinforcements
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.