Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm a total Dixit Noob, but I have been secretly wanting it for years. I am thinking of finally taking the plunge and getting my first (I say "first" because this might be the start of a rather obsessive hobby) Dixit game in the next couple of weeks.

I have been leaning toward Dixit: Odyssey for a couple of basic reasons:

1. 12-players are possible - Now, I am not saying that I will likely be playing with 12 players every time. In fact, I will probably have a hard time finding 12 players. But I know I will be playing this game with more than 6 fairly often.

2. I think I like the changes to the scoring track for D:O.

So there are the two reasons... now here is my question:

Can Dixit: Journey also support up to 12 players?

Now, before you tell me to just read the box cover for the answer, I do know that it is being published as to supporting up to 6. But my question is asking whether it is possible to play with 12 players anyway. In other words, what does D:O have that D:J does not that makes it so you can't play with more than 6 players in D:J?

Since all the cards are compatible with each other, is there any reason why I can't simply play by the D:O rules?

Because in the end, and I am sure a lot of Dixit fans will probably disagree with me on this, but I really kinda dig the Journey artwork more than the previous releases. Please don't hit me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Journey, just like the original game, only comes with 6x6 voting tokens. Odyssey comes with those voting boards that not only allows 12 voters but also conveniently allows each voter to vote for two cards.

So the short answer is the same as the answer for the base game - you can easily play with the 12p Odyssey rules, but you'll need to provide your own alternate voting mechanism. I like the mini-dry-erase-boards a la Wits&Wagers, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. So as I had guessed, it's mainly the little bits that I would be missing for playing with 7+ players.

I wish I could see a PDF of the rules for this game so I can see what the components look like.

I think I might still run down to Target and grab this as 6 players will probably be the norm for us. Eventually, if the game sticks, I would probably invest in Odyssey to get more cards and the 7+ components.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.