Subject: Divided Republic - a fun game with major strengths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boudicca Of the Iceni
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had previously hesitated to rate this game because I am, after all, the designer's wife. But after giving it some thought, I think it is appropriate that I post my rating (which is an 8.8). First, as an avid gamer myself, I think my views are as valid as anyone's. Second, as many of you married men can attest, wives are often the first to tell you when an idea you have is a bad one. No different here - although I do try to be nice about it . So bottom line is, I helped Alex play test, made the Kickstarter video, etc., because in my view it was - and is - an excellent game.

Divided Republic has been compared to Twilight Struggle. I love TS; it is one of my all time favorites. But one aspect of TS/1989 that I am not crazy about is the fact that there are mandatory events. To me that increases the chance element and decreases the choice element. I like that DR does not force you to play events that are harmful to you.

As far as the deck size, I appreciate that there are so many cards because it enhances replayability. You don't know that a certain card will come up during a game, and in my view, that's a good thing. In addition to promoting variety, it helps level the playing field a bit between new players and experienced players, who can't count on their favorite card coming up at some point.

I've seen some refer to the game as chaotic - yes it definitely is. It is not as "structured" as many of the games we've become accustomed to. (For example, the card size which lessens predictability in terms of what resources your campaign has at its disposal, the fact that "cutting side deals" is a valid strategy and has been implemented well in many of the games I've played although there is no formal "negotiations phase," etc.). It is, by design, very open-ended. And I view that as a strength. I think it makes for a fun game, and that it also accurately reflects the chaos of politics at the time. I also suspect that the open-ended nature of the game is why even someone who couldn't stand Twilight Struggle and 1960 found this game to be at least somewhat entertaining.

- Jen aka Boudicca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, are these side deals that are cut considered binding? Or could the other party renege?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect one could play either way...but I won't deal with you again if you break a deal...:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
I expect one could play either way...but I won't deal with you again if you break a deal...:-)

Certainly Just curious as different games specify what is binding and what isn't in these types of deals (Here I Stand comes to mind...). Especially since I've since picked up a copy of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerGirl33 wrote:
I had previously hesitated to rate this game because I am, after all, the designer's wife.

And they say review copies are an incentive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
GamerGirl33 wrote:
I had previously hesitated to rate this game because I am, after all, the designer's wife.

And they say review copies are an incentive! :D

She came in mint condition packaging and everything. Very rare edition, believe me.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By 1989, did you mean 1960?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boudicca Of the Iceni
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
By 1989, did you mean 1960?

I meant 1989: Dawn of Freedom, the "sequel" to Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boudicca Of the Iceni
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
larryjrice wrote:

Certainly Just curious as different games specify what is binding and what isn't in these types of deals (Here I Stand comes to mind...). Especially since I've since picked up a copy of the game

There is no mechanism in the rules to make deals binding - typically when I've played, the deals have been something to the effect of "Let's leave each other alone and go after *that* guy..." but if you betray me, watch out next time! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.