New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

...Find, Discovery, etc.?

I'm revising the "Quests" and "Artifacts" in TactDecks to fall under one classification. I need a thematic, descriptive term that can cover both an "adventurous goal with reward" and an instantly unlocked "relic."

Ideas, anyone...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just "Quests" - You can be "questing" for a relic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you think there'd be any disconnect from the fact that a "Relic" would be instantly obtainable, but a "Quest" requires a few actions before the reward is claimed?

My concern is that by lumping both under the same category, the word "Quest" might be misleading since the "Relic" would be obtained immediately... there's no real journey or in-game narrative happening there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A random counter point -- maybe you can't find the right word because they *shouldn't* be lumped together? I have no clue how the game works, but I'd be bummed if I kept drawing Quests (that I had to work for) while my opponent got lucky and kept pulling Relics.

EDIT - As long as the benefits were commensurate with the costs, I guess it's not really a problem... a tough Quest should give a much better reward than the best Relic.

Having said that... how about "Rewards" or "Adventure"? Then it comes down to the wording... "Collect 3 Whatsits and turn them in at the Foobar to gain 10 gold!" for a quest versus "You venture into a cave and stumble across the Frobozinator!" for a relic.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"event"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Raids
Adventures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
etherton wrote:
[...]"You venture into a cave and stumble across the Frobozinator!" for a relic.

-Dave

Eric...You need a Frobozinator...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Do you think there'd be any disconnect from the fact that a "Relic" would be instantly obtainable, but a "Quest" requires a few actions before the reward is claimed?

My concern is that by lumping both under the same category, the word "Quest" might be misleading since the "Relic" would be obtained immediately... there's no real journey or in-game narrative happening there.

Do both types of cards result in the same type of reward (ie, a Relic), one just takes effort and the other is stumbled upon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "Spoils" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If not Adventure then Exploration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
levimote wrote:

Do both types of cards result in the same type of reward (ie, a Relic), one just takes effort and the other is stumbled upon?

This is precisely my problem - the reward is different for the "effort" action, though both are obtained the same way.

Both the "Relic" and the "Quest" are activated identically - you land on a square and pull a random card to see what you scored - either a "Relic" which is instantly useable, or a "Quest" which, if completed, leads to a more powerful game event (but not a relic), such as calling additional troops into battle.

Both the "Relic" and "Quest" remain secret until used or completed, and are equipped/assigned to the person who unlocks them.

For simplicity, elegance, what-have-you, it just makes sense to me to have both of these lumped together in the same deck, since they're unlocked and initiated the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounter (have someone give you the Quest or Relic...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
levimote wrote:

This is precisely my problem - the reward is different for the "effort" action, though both are obtained the same way.

Both the "Relic" and the "Quest" are activated identically - you land on a square and pull a random card to see what you scored - either a "Relic" which is instantly useable, or a "Quest" which, if completed, leads to a more powerful game event (but not a relic), such as calling additional troops into battle.

Both the "Relic" and "Quest" remain secret until used or completed, and are equipped/assigned to the person who unlocks them.

For simplicity, elegance, what-have-you, it just makes sense to me to have both of these lumped together in the same deck, since they're unlocked and initiated the same way.

For my money, this is a Relic Deck and the rulebook explains that minor relics can be found easily and major relics require more work to unearth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
you land on a square and pull a random card to see what you scored

The word you want here is

Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

This sounds like the action would be "Search" or "Explore" but that the "Quest" should be renamed "Clue" - you find a clue to where you can go/what you can do to find some power-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
you land on a square and pull a random card to see what you scored

The word you want here is

Discovery

Thanks, everyone! I think Jayson nailed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.