Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Should I skip the other expansions and go straight for this one?

I play mostly 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a different 'arc', so you wouldn't be 'skipping' anything.

This is intended to work with the base game only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not compatible with any of the other expansions, so it's definitely possible to not get the other ones but only this one.

Whether people suggest this, I don't think anybody can tell you, because the ones who have already played this expansion are probably bound by an NDA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And "go straight for" tends to involve a lot of doing nothing. Why not get the other expansions in the meantime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to get a reasonable answer for this when the game hasn't been released yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum the subscription gave me a warning and I was thinking new news finally !!!

Impossible to say Nidale, no one knows exactly how will be the new expansion, but you can definitely do it.

In my games I play with the two first expansion by default, but if anyone new appears I could quit the second but never the first, for my its like the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
Should I skip the other expansions and go straight for this one?

I play mostly 2 player games.
To reiterate what's mentioned....

COMPATIBILITY:
This can NOT be mixed with any of the first 3 exp

GAMEPLAY:
We have no info on the components nor the rules, so who knows just what the 4th exp * entails beyond some screenshots and designer comments of exploring that Alien Orb and plopping tiles/cards to represent that.

AFAIK, the differences seem to be more subtle than game comparisons like Tivcket To Ride vs. Ticket To Ride Europe, or Ra vs. Priests Of Ra.

* and even then, I've got some remarks from others that it's technically not right to call this an exp, but even Tom mentioned "it's too late at this point".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I've got some remarks from others that it's technically not right to call this an exp, but even Tom mentioned "it's too late at this point".

Hm, what is it then if not an expansion? Does it play standalone without the RftG base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends -- do you want to wait the next few months without any Race for the Galaxy? I'd say get the game and the expansions and have a blast playing it for a few months. Then when Alien Artifacts (eventually?) comes out jump on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I've got some remarks from others that it's technically not right to call this an exp, but even Tom mentioned "it's too late at this point".

Hm, what is it then if not an expansion? Does it play standalone without the RftG base game?
It's its own "arc" I guess. And no, of course it's not a standalone exp.

I guess this is akin to not calling Carc: The Castle an exp to Carc., and not just b/c Carc: The Castle is standalone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D J R
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get an expansion right now, I'd go ahead and pick up The Gathering Storm. If you don't need an expansion right now, or have limited funds, you could wait until the reviews for this new one come out and decide at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

We have no info on the components nor the rules, so who knows just what the 4th exp * entails beyond some screenshots...

Screenshots? You mean the box cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside the fact we know very little about AA, i think the correct answer is probly closer to "you need to tell us more about what you like". You've given us almost nothing to go on. The game is equally great in 2p/2pa no matter base or with any combination of expansions.

How long have you been playing?
How many plays do you have?
Are you at all tired of the base game?
Do you play 2p or 2pa (2 phases each)?
Do you feel like you need more cards?
Do you care about solo play?
Do you feel like you need more "other" stuff?
Would you like to be able to attack your opponent?
Does RFTG on steroids sound fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

We have no info on the components nor the rules, so who knows just what the 4th exp * entails beyond some screenshots...

Screenshots? You mean the box cover?
I thought I saw a mockup at some earlier point. Even if we could find it, it was low res.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I guess this is akin to not calling Carc: The Castle an exp to Carc., and not just b/c Carc: The Castle is standalone.

It really is an expansion to the base game though - that it also happens to be a complete arc of expansions makes it special, of course, but it's still an expansion to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that this isn't out yet, and The Gathering Storm is awesome, I'd say, no, definitely don't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

It really is an expansion to the base game though - that it also happens to be a complete arc of expansions makes it special, of course, but it's still an expansion to me...
[shrug] That's my thought too, but some of others want to use this "arc" thing more prominently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
Should I skip the other expansions?
Out of 600+ games that I've played, RFTG is 2nd best after through the ages.

If you like the base game, do not skip the other expansions. They are extremely well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

[shrug] That's my thought too, but some of others want to use this "arc" thing more prominently.

Rio Grande call it the "fourth expansion" on the About Us page of their website "which will begin a new arc for the game".
Fourth expansion to the base game.
1st (and only?) expansion for the second arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I assume he mean doesn't play like the old game.

The Alien Orb part I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame the expansions are not compatible. Now you need to fiddle with the cards back and forth depending on if you want to play with the old 3 expansions or just base+aa....

Alternative is to buy a new basegame of course.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Acenoid wrote:
Alternative is to buy a new basegame of course.....

I definitely plan to buy a new copy of the base game. My existing copy and the cards from Gathering Storm is evenly worn so I wouldn't want to add a bunch of brand new cards anyway.

Then it's like having two games instead of one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried to shuffle the game with the 3 expansions included? It's pretty damn hard. The best solution is not always "add more stuff."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried shuffling all expansions at once sleeved?

I have - needs to be done in chunks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Have you tried shuffling all expansions at once sleeved?

I have - needs to be done in chunks.

You still have to do it in chunks without sleeves. It's massive. Fortunately I have at least three copies of the base game still... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.