Subject: Runewars Vs. A Game of Thrones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Strattanville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking into Runewars and A game of thrones and I was trying to get some input from those of you that have played both and wanted to see if you could tip me in one direction or the other? What are the pro's and con's and what gives one an advantage over the other in your opinion?

thanks!

PS: I posted this in the game of thrones forum as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get both! he he

I know its not always possible. I like both for different reasons. Its hard for me to describe how vastly different these 2 games are. Basically it comes down to what you and your group like the most. Runewars shines with 4 players, is ok with 3 and adequate with 2, while GOT shines with 6 players, is pretty good with 5, 4 and 3 and less enjoyable. Both have a fair bit of randomness with events coming up each turn that affect every player. Both have blind bidding, both have secret orders, although they are revealed differently in each respective game. Runewars has a very random combat system that can be hard to predict. GOT combat is much more simple and favours outsmarting your opponent (although if you have limited cards left to play - not much you can do). They both have a lot of very cool mechanics.

So, for me it simply comes down to how many players I have determines which game we play, with 5-6 its GOT, with 4 its Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Runewars is more ameritrash-y. AGoT is more euro-y. I guess I prefer Runewars but It probably most depends on how many players you're going to have: 2-4 = Runewars, 5-6 = AGoT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars is an empire-building game mixed with a fantasy adventure game.

Game of Thrones is a strategy game mixed with a horrible bastard's game.

There's some overlap in these two formulars, but the biggest difference for me is that AGoT can be a gut-wrenching experience of betrayal and subterfuge. Which is a point to its credit; I love the terrible tension and excitement of a well-timed backstab, but some people just don't want to play a game as ruthless and conflict-driven as AGoT. Runewars is friendlier; while still featuring direct competition, it offers ways to win that aren't driven by conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition of AGoT is pretty terrible, pretty artwork aside. Yeah, you get some of the stuff that came later in expansions, but the 6 player board (which was an expansion that you added on originally) is now printed on the board. So if you have fewer than 6, you games will be pretty lopsided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games and take about the same amount of time to play. A Game of Thrones is more political, with faster battles. Runewars is epic but sometimes you can't get to another player to keep them from winning. I'd get Runewars if you want 2-4 players, I'd also highly recommend the expansion, or at least play with the Road to Victory variant. (In the base game as soon as you get enough Runes you just instantly win, the new rule is you have to hold those runes for 1 year past getting them. I'd get AGOT only if you can get 6 people together regularly. It really doesn't play well with less imho. 5 is ok, but lopsided towards house Baratheon. 3 and 4 are even more unbalanced unless you house rule some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkard
msg tools
mbmb
Which one did you end up getting?

I like the order mechanic in AGOT, where you're constantly guessing what the other players are doing. There's a tension there on almost every turn that isn't in Runewars.. which is more of a relaxed game at least in the start. Aside from that though, I feel Runewars has much more content than AGOT does. There's just more of everything and random crazy events happening, tactic cards played, the hero aspect, the variety of units etc and the resource management that is far more interesting than AGOT's supply & three influence tracks.

The house card thing that represents the major characters in AGOT is also very abstract and while it works as a gameplay element (where you're guessing what card the opponent is playing), it is thematically pretty weak that the characters aren't represented by miniatures or something.

AGOT is simpler and more focused on it's core gameplay, which is pretty good but certainly requires a high number of players. I haven't played it with under 5, but from what I've read, the map doesn't really work that well with a lesser number of players. I've only played Runewars with 2, which works great and you have a different map every time. It keeps it fresh. Runewars has a ton more stuff in it and feels to more like an epic, grand strategy with it's empire building and what not where as in AGOT feels more like a Risk-type of game with a fun social aspect and few random elements.

So yeah, get Runewars. Unless you play with a large six player group all the time, then AGOT. They'll probably answer AGOT in the AGOT forum, though! Nothing wrong with owning both, though. I feel they're different enough to justify it.

If I'd have to rank 'em (I'm a fanboy):
Runewars 10/10
AGOT 7½/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.