Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions from our first play through of the learning scenario:

Per 6.1 you can increase the RR of any one controlled Power by 1 for that turn only. Does this allow the Crusaders to gain replacements? What about the Byzantium?

A cavalry army moves three spaces and picks up a non-cavalry unit, how many MP do they have left?

When entering a space with an enemy stronghold, is the siege optional? Can an army stop in a location with an enemy stronghold and NOT be in siege on the stronghold?

Thanks,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Per 6.1 you can increase the RR of any one controlled Power by 1 for that turn only. Does this allow the Crusaders to gain replacements? What about the Byzantium?

Just because a Power doesn't get any regular replacements for a scenario doesn't mean it can't earn replacements by other means, including spending the Diplomatic Advantage.

Quote:
A cavalry army moves three spaces and picks up a non-cavalry unit, how many MP do they have left?

As 10.2 indicates, MP is calculated by unit, not by stack. The cavalry units will have moved three spaces, so will have 3 MP left. The infantry unit will have 4 MP left, since it hasn't moved yet. Assuming the stack has a leader (needed to pick up the infantry), he has 6 MP also, and has also spent 3 MP, so has three left. So the infantry unit will be able to move 3 spaces with the other units, but won't be able to continue on its own (same goes if it were a cavalry unit), since a unit activated by a leader needs to stay with that leader while it is moving

In theory it could get rather complex, although in practice you are either picking up or dropping off units, rarely both.

(That seems like a rather involved answer, but I wasn't sure what your question was getting at).

Quote:

When entering a space with an enemy stronghold, is the siege optional? Can an army stop in a location with an enemy stronghold and NOT be in siege on the stronghold?

Per 17.6, a siege can be initiated by an active army in a space with an enemy stronghold, which ends that army's move. That is certainly optional; you can move through the space, or stop there, without starting a siege. Note that as a siege can only be initiated by an active army, if you decide not to besiege, and you change your mind, you will have to play a card to activate the army, even if it doesn't physically move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott.

This game looks great, by the way. You should be proud! An amazing amount of scenarios and replay-ability packed in this thing.

I was just over-thinking it with the pick up and move thing and the siege thing. I would have assumed just like you said, but wanted confirmation.

The thing that confused me with the Crusaders getting replacements is the restriction in 6.1: "Crusaders only gain replacements via event."

I guess you could add - "or by use of the Diplomatic Advantage marker" - to that sentence. (to avoid confusing other over-thinking minds out there like mine).

:)

Thanks for the answers!

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I forgot the statement in 6.1. To simplify things, then, perhaps it is best if Crusaders can't use the Advantage for replacements. I would prefer that to creating errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the multiple posts -- this is what I get for being in Rome and trying to answer questions in snippets of time between other activities. I see now you were asking about Scenario A (The First Crusade). The answer is even simpler in that case: since there is no diplomacy in the scenario, the Diplomatic Advantage rule can and should be ignored for this scenario. There is really no use for it for the Christians and the Free Passage rule is inappropriate for either side in the historical circumstances.

You may consider this an official clarification. Otherwise, the ruling above that the Diplomatic Advantage chit cannot give RP to Crusaders still applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm confused now. I'm fine with a blanket statement that the Diplomatic Advantage counter is not relevant in the first scenario. Point made.

When we were playing and discussing this, though, it seemed to me that other aspects of diplomacy were still in play -- the "Fatimid Invasion" result for the Fatimid Diplomacy card states: "The Fatimids keep their diplomatic orientation," and if you enter Fatimid territories (including Jerusalem -- a necessary spot for the Crusaders -- after Fatimid Invasion), the Fatimids shift allegiance to your opponent.

That's one reason we (or at least I) thought the Diplomatic Advantage counter would still be relevant even if it didn't modify rolls. I didn't think it was going to do much -- I couldn't find the passage about RPs while we were playing -- but I could imagine one or another convoluted scenarios where the somebody wants to cut through Fatimid territory without starting a war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that section 9 is entirely moot. The Crusaders can violate Fatimid neutrality if they enter Egypt, Dispute With Byzantium will result in Byzantium going neutral, etc.

What I was getting at is that the Diplomatic Advantage marker was intended to go hand in hand with the full panoply of Diplomacy rules. So with no Diplomatic influence rolls best to leave the marker out of it.

It is true that there could be some use for the marker, but the simplest thing is to leave it out for that scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Scott. We're playing again, tonight. Hopefully more smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.