4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Honor Guards and clearing text boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
The question came up how to treat the Honor Guard's side switching effect when its text box has been cleared by some effect like Renly's Courtier or Milk of the Poppy. If this were Magic: the Gathering, removing the text would not stop the HG from changing sides when appropriate because the ability would exist independent of the text. Of course, this isn't MtG, and we figured it made more sense to say the card won't do anything that would rely on text, past or present. Still it seems kind of arbitrary, so I was curious to see what others might say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that the "take control" effect is created as a lasting effect once his ability it triggered from your hand. Thus, the effect that enables the owner to take control has already been created, and thus blanking would not affect anything.

(I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I think this is a textbook example of a 'lasting' effect.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
That would seem to be absolutely true, I didn't even know lasting effects were defined. Also when I search the FAQ for "blank", 3.35 spells it out: "When a card gains an ability or additional card text from a triggered effect, it retains that ability throughout the duration of the effect, even if the original source of the triggered effect is blanked or leaves play. This rule holds true when a card provides itself with additional text through one of its own triggered effects."

I think perhaps even the game owner needs to get down to reading the manual here. Last night he played Motley on my Sansa Stark in order to draw a card. I pointed out that Motley then required me to pay him, which I couldn't, and of course didn't want to do anyway. We agreed that he counted as the one playing the ability so he'd effectively pay himself, but then looking at the FAQ afterwards I see that Sansa's ability can of course only be triggered by me in the first place. Omg haxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since you were the controller of Sansa, and Responses are optional, you were under no obligation to trigger her effect for his benefit (even if you wanted to. Which you didn't.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.