Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what are abstract games. I always considered Chess, and Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Go etc as abstract games. One abstract game I do like is Ingenious. I noticed that there is some kind of reference to games that are abstract with pasted on themes What are some of those games? Maybe I might like more abstracts than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder is a prime example.
Replace the different landscapes with colors and you have an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poison, Dominion... almost everything Knizia does, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I wouldn't call the previous two suggestions abstracts. Instead, consider:

Through the Desert
Hey, That's My Fish!
Terra Nova
Mexica
Torres

There must be a geeklist on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fall too far into the myth of the "pasted on theme". As some have said, this is true of some games; however, it is demonstrably false in others.

As somebody has pointed out, Knizia's games are pretty abstract; one prime example is Tigris & Euphrates. But the line between "pasted on" and "tied to" is often quite vague; it is a matter of record (or at least was) that Reiner Knizia at least started with a theme here. The presence of the two rivers is testament to this. However, one cannot deny the highly abstract nature of the game.

Other games which come to mind are Torres and Java, from the Kramer/Kiesling teaming; whether they started with a theme or not, they are both fairly abstract.

Abstract purists would probably cringe at the mere thought that they would have to play cards as part of the game, however deterministic. That means Torres is probably out, despite its clear abstract qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess has a pasted-on theme if ever I saw one! Check out most games by Michael Schacht or Leo Colovini, they are usually quite light on theme with strong mechanics. I recommend Alexandros, Hansa, The Bridges of Shangri-La, Carolus Magnus, Fae, Masons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Abstract purists would probably cringe at the mere thought that they would have to play cards as part of the game, however deterministic. That means Torres is probably out, despite its clear abstract qualities.

Ah, I play by the advanced rules that give all action cards to players at the start of the game. This variant turns Torres into a perfect information game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:

Ah, I play by the advanced rules that give all action cards to players at the start of the game. This variant turns Torres into a perfect information game.

Me too (when I play it); but the abstract purists tend not to like this hidden information aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
But it's not really hidden, is it? You could just leave the cards out displayed in front of each player and flip them when used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
But it's not really hidden, is it?

No, but then again, you don't see many pure abstracts which use cards. And I don't need convincing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Battle Line. The tactics cards do give it a tiny bit more theme, but in actuality it is a semi-climbing trick-taking card game influenced somewhat by Poker hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I noticed that there is some kind of reference to games that are abstract with pasted on themes What are some of those games? Maybe I might like more abstracts than I thought.

Euros.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
palmerkun wrote:

That! Knizia=abstract+pasted theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates is Knizia's best attempt at mechanics and theme. He does at least gets creating games that are easy to learn but offer lots of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designation "pure abstract" is both pretentious and unhelpful. I'm working on a project to better define abstracts at the moment. Watch this space.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think the idea of a "pasted on theme" comes down to personal preference. Some games are themeless (Chinese Checkers fits into this category), but most have a theme of some sort - even Chess.

And if you boil any game down far enough, it's all just dice rolls and cubes. Take, for example, Dungeon Petz. The game is very thematic. The Petz all have unique back stories. When they die, meat gets added to the meat pile. You have to clean cages. Your imps can get hurt dealing with the petz. Etc. Etc. There are tons of rules put there simply for thematic purposes (like the adding of meat when a pet is not purchased).

But, if you strip away the theme, you are still using resources (gold) to acquire items (the Petz) which cost other resources (the needs) and will give points based on the resources met (through exhibitions or sales). Any game has a mechanical, themeless core.

One person's "pasted on theme" is another person's "highly thematic experience."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
The designation "pure abstract" is both pretentious and unhelpful.

I disagree; it draws a clear distinction between something abstracted and something wholly abstract. You can substitute the word "pure" with a number of alternatives, but that won't lessen the significance of the designation. Furthermore, by definition an abstract can never be "pretentious"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
There must be a geeklist on this.

Of course, complete with the requisite arguments about what is or is not "pasted on": My favorite games with pasted-on themes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Tigris & Euphrates is Knizia's best attempt at mechanics and theme. He does at least gets creating games that are easy to learn but offer lots of depth.
I'd put forward Lord of the Rings as a candidate for that title as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

One person's "pasted on theme" is another person's "highly thematic experience."

I disagree. A game with a pasted on theme is easily identifiable because one major mechanic or many minor mechanics (or a combination) don't make sense from a thematic standpoint to the point where you can tell the designer didn't care about the theme. Someone like Martin Wallace (with minor exceptions, like coal vs iron in Brass) generally prefers the game fits well within the theme and though his great games are wonderful designs and are by no means Ameritrash, noone can say they have pasted on themes. Uwe Rosenberg, on the other hand, is arguable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
thepackrat wrote:
I'm working on a project to better define abstracts at the moment. Watch this space.

More power to you, Bruce, but I wonder whether this will ever be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

Furthermore, by definition an abstract can never be "pretentious"!

The designation was called pretentious, not the abstract game. Furthermore, I could understand someone perceiving that designation as pretentious.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

I disagree; it draws a clear distinction between something abstracted and something wholly abstract. You can substitute the word "pure" with a number of alternatives, but that won't lessen the significance of the designation. Furthermore, by definition an abstract can never be "pretentious"!

Wholly abstract? Themeless? Luckless? No hidden information? No pictures on the pieces. Different people seem to answer this differently.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.