8 Posts

Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Real-time version of Settlers board game? Speed Settlers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny is not so simple
United States
flag msg tools
Has anyone developed a way to play the Settlers board game in real-time, without taking turns?

One thought I had was to have a timer go off every 3 minutes which meant someone rolled the dice and people grabbed any resources earned. Otherwise, there would be no turns, but a general free-for-all instead.

Anything exist like this? Or any other Speed Settlers variants?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
jyph wrote:
Has anyone developed a way to play the Settlers board game in real-time, without taking turns?

One thought I had was to have a timer go off every 3 minutes which meant someone rolled the dice and people grabbed any resources earned. Otherwise, there would be no turns, but a general free-for-all instead.

Thanks!

Real Time? You mean the four of you actually have to land on an island, build a settlement and some roads, mine the ore, chop down trees etc? Wow, I guess that would extend the playing time by a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cornelius
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Co-Founder & Owner of Cosmic Wombat Games
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
Real Time? You mean the four of you actually have to land on an island, build a settlement and some roads, mine the ore, chop down trees etc? Wow, I guess that would extend the playing time by a bit...
Wow, I hope you're being sarcastic (sometimes tough to tell in text and when you don't know the person).

jyph wrote:

Kenny, this sounds like a very interesting idea. I've tried a lot of variations but haven't done this yet. In essence it's combining the concept of Pit with Catan - quite intriguing. I'll have to give it a try and let you know how it goes.

The catch is finding people to play with who are alert enough to pay attention to what resources they get and when. It might help to have a non-player (sort of moderator) being the one rolling the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyph wrote:

Thanks!

So you'd only roll the dice, once every 3 minutes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

I presume jyph means roll 4 sets of dice (or roll 4 times) every 3 minutes. Thus the players are all taking their turns at the same time. I can't see how it would work without a moderator to roll and dole out resources. Even then it feels like it would descend into chaos with arguments about who got their road down first and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chardir wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

I presume jyph means roll 4 sets of dice (or roll 4 times) every 3 minutes. Thus the players are all taking their turns at the same time. I can't see how it would work without a moderator to roll and dole out resources. Even then it feels like it would descend into chaos with arguments about who got their road down first and so on.

Ah, okay. I guess that would be interesting. If there each player had their own set of coloured dice which matched their pieces, it might be possible.

At the dice rolling step, everyone throw their dice into a bowl. That way no one can accidentally alter the results of the dice and everyone can see the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a chaotic real time system, I have thought about a "everyone can build every turn system".

rules:
start the game as normal but now you have rounds instead of separate turns.

The guy who starts the game is the first round starter.

After rolling for production and resolving robber (or my robber variant the marketplace), everyone can now trade.

Everyone can trade with everyone, not only the round starter.

Then building can happen. Round starter builds all his stuff first. Then the around the table to the left until everyone has had a chance to build. For example. Round starter builds two roads, next guy builds a city and a settlement and a road, and the last guy buys a dev card.

Dev cards bought in one round can't be used until the next round.

Then pretty much, round/turn is over and next guy becomes the round starter.

To avoid timing conflicts, only the round starter may play a knight before the dice roll. Otherwise you play your dev cards when you have your chance to build.

That variant should speed up the game noticeably, primarily because less cards will be taken by the robber. Also because you will get your cities and settlements out possibly turns ahead of before, potentially getting more resources sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Romasanta
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyph wrote:

Thanks!

My gaming group has tried a version of speed settlers where each player's turn lasted only 1 minute from die roll to passing the die to the next player (a stopwatch was used to maintain this rule).

Our initial set up was played at the normal speed, but afterwards, each player's turn lasted only 1 minute. We had a dedicated spotter to look on the board for which number rolled, a dedicated banker who distributed the resources based on what the spotter announced, and a dedicated time keeper who started a 10 second countdown near the end of each person's turn. Each of the games lasted less than 30 minutes.

The games were fast and furious, with each player making sometimes insane mistakes. The robber was devastating - we were collecting so many resources, but not able to spend them all in our turns!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.