Hide
13 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Bits in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
There is a lot to keep track of. Are there goinig to be bits, for the different tags, damage etc? What are other LCG games like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Manuel García García
Spain
Madrid
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Fantasy Flight Games is usually VERY good when it comes to tokens, boards, etc. (With a few exceptions) so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure tokens will be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can be fairly sure that if there is something that needs to be tracked they will provide a method to track it. The other LCGs are loaded with different counters and spin dials and figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an FFG game... Expect you box to literally explode with millions of markers, chits, and tiny cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... or get the travel version of:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1038/tantrix
and use the pieces for A:NR too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I remember from the original that needed be traced was bits and tags. Lord knows they're probably make tags into that wheel format (to use up their warehouse full of grommets), but otherwise I can't think of other counters you'd need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkard
msg tools
mbmb
I love FFG dials! My fave is probably the one in Civ. Dials on top of dials!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
The only thing I remember from the original that needed be traced was bits and tags. Lord knows they're probably make tags into that wheel format (to use up their warehouse full of grommets), but otherwise I can't think of other counters you'd need.

Bits
Advancement tokens (though everyone I know just put bits on cards to represent this)
Tags
Available/Used MU
Viruses
Bad Publicity
Brain Damage/Hand Size
"Banned IP" effects (such as "must spend 2 bits before Runner may Run again")
Agenda Points (because some effects let you spend them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
Bits
Advancement tokens (though everyone I know just put bits on cards to represent this)
Tags
Available/Used MU
Viruses
Bad Publicity
Brain Damage/Hand Size

I follow all those except available/used MU, which I thought you could always determine from counting up used/granted MU from cards in play. Were there cards that gave or used MU (beyond the base 4) that didn't stay in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget a click (action) tracker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In practice, if you have the typical gamers collection of dice and some bit counters you have what you need for NR.

It won't hurt if FFG include stuff in the Core Sets - it might attract a few new gamers. But I'd rather see 3 copies of every card than different specialized counters for all the different things you might want to track. Most of the time you can use "bits" or dice for the specialized counters (virus, tags, BP, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Bits
Tags
Available/Used MU
Viruses
Bad Publicity
Brain Damage/Hand Size

I follow all those except available/used MU, which I thought you could always determine from counting up used/granted MU from cards in play. Were there cards that gave or used MU (beyond the base 4) that didn't stay in play?

Detailed them all in case others weren't sure and didn't know the terms.

See below for the 'MU' concept. Not technically required.

Bits: Currency
Advancement Tokens: Played on Advanceable cards (Agenda, Some Nodes) -- usually represented by putting a Bit on the card
Tags: Clues to the Runner's Identity
Available/Used MU: In the group I played with, you had a number of chips equal to your MU. You started with 4, got more from Decks and Chips and used them on programs. It was a fast way to see remaining available memory. Yes, you could instead choose to add/subtract every time, but with 2 MU programs, this was a fast visual. Not technically required.
Viruses: Each different virus requires a token type, especially if the Runner is running a virus heavy deck. Viruses were installed in specific forts and you could have many running at once. Viruses are obviously in the game as they are mentioned on Noise
Bad Publicity: Bad Publicity was introduced in Proteus and gave the Runner an alternate path to victory - which was if the Corp got 7 Bad Publicity they lost. Lead to degenerate, non-interactive decks where the Runner never actually 'Ran', and instead tried to set up a situation that made it look like the Corp was being evil by poisoning the water supply and putting out hits. Bad Publicity is obviously in the game as it is mentioned in Posted Bounty
Brain Damage/Hand Size: When the Runner experiences Brain Damage, their hand limit is permanently reduced. When they play certain hardware (chips), their hand limit is increased. Because Brain Damage isn't represented by a card, a way to record Brain Damage is needed.
"Banned IP" effects: Some subroutines caused the Runner to pay a penalty in order to Run again. These are typically called 'banned IP' effects because they simulate the Runner having to change their signature to avoid (usually) a big scary Dog ICE.
Agenda Points: When either side scores Agenda, you cannot simply give them the Agenda card for score, because there are some cards which permitted the Runner to spend Agenda Points. Two immediately come to mind: Data Broker, which turned an Agenda Point into 10 bits and one of the really nice decks which cost a ton of bits in addition to an Agenda Point.
Actions: As pointed out, some will want 'action' tokens to form a pool of 'spend' and 'available', and there are effects which increase the number of actions you can get in your Pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.