Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Folks:

I was wondering what the sense was about Play Balance in the game. The two sides each start with 33 units on the map, and draw 9 towns/cities initially. Before Cabinda falls, the FNLA/UNITA are drawing 6 + 2 off map, while FAPLA/MPLA are drawing 3 + 1. After Cabinda falls, the ration smmoths to 8 vs 3.

It doesn't seem to be a foregone conclusion that FAPLA/MPLA are in a position to push FNLA/UNITA around from the start. If not, then it seems that FNLA/UNITA is heavily favored.

Any opinions?

I really enjoy this game and am glad that MMP decided to republish it!

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm looking forward to someone buying this so I can try it out before I buy it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Angola once. Based on that play, my assessment is that FNLA/UNITA's force advantage is offset by the fact that their reinforcements start far away from contested areas and have to spend a lot of time moving toward the action, whereas the MPLA/FAPLA forces are introduced directly into areas where they are needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Angola manifold times since the last five years, and have seen several other games played around. Near always the game was finely balanced, specially if all 4 players have mastered the game at the same level. Most times the final victory was decided at the last action of the last turn (10). I do not have any records but I dare to say that the victory was around 50%-50% for both sides. Few times victory was decided by sudden death conditions, but this can really happen... but both sides having options. I'm talking of about 15-20 games played or seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Central position, reinforcement mainly in units rather in equipment, more tanks, armored cars and planes as an average reinforcement gives the Communist a real advantage in my opinion.

Their only problem is infantry, but even that can be managed by conquering more towns.

In addition they have great direct aid, Cuban tanks, Katyusha, that look more powerful than their opponent direct aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.