Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Entry Thread for '2013: An Apocalyptic Survival Game' – Contest Ready

Designed for the 2012 Solitaire-print-and-play-contest
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/798184/2012-solitaire-print-...

2013 is a team manager style survival game, set in a post apolaylptic version of the real world. The player takes the role of a group of Survivors, a rag tag bunch of people, young and old and leads them in the search for food, water, and other useful items.

Components Needed -
The player will need,
2x Ten Sided dice, 1x Six Sided dice
Tape Measure (in centimetres)

Printed Components
Unless playing a specific Scenario, which has its own game board set-up. The player will need to print any number of game boards based on the size of the map they would like to use. At least 7 sections are recommended for a good game.

To save space, all links for the Rules, Tokens, and Game Boards can be found here -

http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-apocalyp...

Playing Time: 45+ minutes

2013: An Apocalyptic Survival Game

On December 21, 2012 the world ended. Trouble is, it didn’t end for all us...

2013 is a team manager style survival game, set in post apocalyptic version of the real world. The player takes the role of a group of survivors, a rag tag bunch of people, young and old and leads them in the search for food, water, and other useful items.

What makes 2013 unique is its attention to detail. All maps are to scale and based on real everyday locations. A street isn’t just a bunch of houses in a row, its a scavenge hunt through actual rooms. Looking for food means hitting the kitchen and dining areas, new clothes and bed sheets means taking the stairs to the next floor and searching the wardrobes.

Easy enough. But that’s only half the story... aside from run ins with other scavengers in this dog eat dog new world, there lurks something 'else'... people have changed... they call them the 'Diseased'.. and they are hungry for flesh...

This isn’t some gun toting Zombie shooting apocalypse. This is real. This is Sarah Wilkings, 27, Office Assistant, Survivor. This is Stanley Jefferies, 64, retired Geography Teacher, Survivor. This is Claire Smith, this is Scott Bond, this is you. This is the end of the world.

How long will you survive?
How long can you survive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - '2013 An Apocalyptic Survival Game' for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Desgin Contest
Cool. When can we expect a rules document?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Re: WIP - '2013 An Apocalyptic Survival Game' for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Desgin Contest
Thanks for the interest.

I have the base mechanics 1st draft finished, and in the process of writing up the rules, making occasional small changes as I go.

Plan is to have a rough draft finished and uploaded here by the end of the week. Print off and play test this weekend and revamp at the start of next week.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Howdy folks,

I am really excited about this contest!

I have been working hard on my entry '2013' and have a few 'sneak peek' photos and info on my blog -

http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-designin...

The apocalypse is coming!
Keep gaming!

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hey folks,

Part 2 is up.
Brief new map, but the first look at character generation (briefly), my thoughts on Movement and on Combat.

Link - http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-designin...

I am hoping to have the first draft basic rules for the 3 categories posted by the end of the day, for people to playtest and give their opinions on.

Thanks all!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Fingers crossed this works...
My first attempt at using Google Documents, hopefully people can access ok.

http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-first-dr...

I am so nervous, but excited about recieving feedback!

Please read, and let me know any and all thoughts.

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Google Doc link works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Re: WIP - '2013 An Apocalyptic Survival Game' for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Desgin Contest (Components Ready for Public Playtesting)
New update and a new map added!

I dont want to update the rules edition yet, as I want to give people chance to try out this version before I change things.

However I have added a new update to the Desgin Blog, with a little brief on how I work new maps.

The post also contains a link to this new map so players can print it off and use it in the playtest now.

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Re: WIP - '2013 An Apocalyptic Survival Game' for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Desgin Contest (Components Ready for Public Playtesting)
Latest game design update posted to my Blog.
This one covers the ideas and thoughts behind generating items needed to ensure the survival of the players team, post apocalypse.

It takes the form of 'Loot tables'
As the player searches areas, he collects Loot Tokens, which are later used to generate supplies and items.

This preview looks at items mainly used in the coming 'Management Phase' of the game, and represents first look items found in... a bathroom location... Yeah, not so exciting, sorry, but the Hygiene of the Survivors is very important none the less!

Thanks all!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
2nd draft of the Rules has just been added to my Blog,

Key changes/additions include,

Rules on Board Sections
Diseased Reinforcement rules expanded
Placing of Diseased expanded
Movement revised and expanded
New Detection Methods and ways to avoid the Diseased
Noise and threat generation
Extra and enhanced Combat Rules
Introduction to game effect 'Lethality'
First Six Survivor Weapons and Items
Introduction to Smarts and two abilities associated with the stat (now clever folks can fight!)

Plenty of new stuff to check out.
Thanks folks!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
For those peeps who havent had time to view and print the game yet, but want to see what it looks and plays like, I have uploaded a sample game using 3 Survivors in an attempt to raid a store for supplies!

Will they make it? Will they survive?

Check it out here -

http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-example-...

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting set up. But... another zombie game pretty much since the infected act much like the 28 Days Later infected pseudo-zombies. sigh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Interesting set up. But... another zombie game pretty much since the infected act much like the 28 Days Later infected pseudo-zombies. sigh...

My collection does not contain a single solitaire 28 Days Later zombie style game. Also this is one of the few wargame-ish games in the competition.

The only thing that makes me a bit sad is that the map is not area-movement as I thought first, but free-movement. That is normally enough to make me not buy a game, but I am known to make exceptions, and in this case I do not even have to buy it to play.

EDIT: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Omega2064 wrote:

At the moment yeah, its pretty much chase and slay, but if you take the time to read the first page of rules you will see I have much more planned for the game.

The Diseased are all '28 days' style at the moment, but I want to make the Disease gradual, like something from 'Night of the Comet' that takes effect over time. Infact if you read the game intro I do say it starts with mild dementia, leading to all out 28 days. I will encorporate the stages of the Disease in future expansions, for now Im still on basic mechanics.

A large part of the game is the untouched 'Management Phase' which will deal with items and supplies, rationing and the health of the Survivors. Players will have to make tough choices over food and water, and will even need to try and maintain some form of Quality of Life, to avoid their Survivors topping themselves!

Also in the works, are rules for other adversaries beside the Diseased, other Survivors, Militia Groups etc. Even loyal guard dogs.
Multi player is also on the cards (all be it, not for this solitaire version) which will include the choice to work with other players Survivors, or fight them for the much needed, and limited, resources.

So at the moment it may be 'another Zombie game', but I can only write so much so fast.. if only there were 26hours in a day.. sigh...

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xericor wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

The Diseased are all '28 days' style at the moment, but I want to make the Disease gradual, like something from 'Night of the Comet' that takes effect over time. Infact if you read the game intro I do say it starts with mild dementia, leading to all out 28 days. I will encorporate the stages of the Disease in future expansions, for now Im still on basic mechanics.

Yep, saw that. A better anology would be the Family in the Omega Man movie as the disease progresses in those it didnt kill outright. Gradual dementia and aggression, and an increasing sensetivity to sunlight. Or a mix of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook wrote:
One aspect
to remember is though these people have survived the first few weeks of the apocalypse there is no
guarantee that the players starting team are all in perfect health.

Part of the feel of 2013 is trying to survive with real world people, flaws and all. That means the
young and the old, the fit and the fat. The gym-a-holics and the couch potatoes.

I guess most that managed to survive the first few weeks would be young, fit, gym-a-holics though?

Not sure how useful it is to comment on the old public rulebook, but the heading for character generation is a bit odd ("TEAM SIZE").

That's about how far I got reading tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Pelni

I suppose survivability would be based on many factors, personal health definitely being one of them, also location. Inner cities I view as being far more violent than say semi isolated country towns.

I have set the game (at the moment) in an fictional area similar to where I live. Its a series of towns, with neighbouring villages, semi rural, with the largest of the towns being close in size to the smallest city.

More specifically the starting map base is designed around a series of roads and streets, Terrace style (known in the game as 'Jackson Street). I intend to increase the map pool, with different style Terrace Housing, local shops, lock up garages, and maybe a junior school.

Jackson Street is an attempt to keep the game claustrophobic, with row upon row of close knit buildings, which I imagine when you trapped and scared all begin to look the same.

Starting Survivors exclude the very young and the very old. Low Body stats on adults can also reflect injury. Eventually I hope to have an experience system whereby Survivors can increase their stats. There is also 'Traits and Skills' on the design board which should help explain why the character survived.

As for the layout and wording on the Rulebook... its not great I know.
I have been going with speed over attention to detail at the moment. The rulebook reads horrible in places, and has no diagrams or pictures. Something I will work on in time.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

PS. I guess many people are in the same boat as myself, working on writing their own games, without much time to check out other peoples work. I am looking forward to the deadline on this so I can take a break and play other peoples games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Brief update for today -

One new map tile 'Lockup/Garages'

and the first Scenario 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon'

http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-new-map-...

Thanks!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it a bit difficult to see it as anything but major fail if only one of them makes it to the hideout. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I like to think the deceased partner would be happy the other survived

NEW UPDATE, NEW SCENARIO 'Fort Nigel'

On Number 44 Jackson Street lives Nigel Banks. In the real world he was an odd ball recluse, in 2013 he is a well stocked Survivor.

The player faces their first moral dilemna. Appeal to Nigels humanity for a share of his stockpile, or attack this sole survivors barricaded home?

You play, you decide. The link for the Scenario -
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0DHcxfvT8FmUzkwZHRVZnBLdmM

Good luck, you merciless, heartless people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well.. like the Stones sang 'baby, you're out of time'

I think given the time I entered this I may have had to big ideas for the time I had to work on the game.

Version 003 of the rules is up on my blog, but now I am in damage control, its not a case of what to write, but what to discard.

I will however continue on this project outside of the competition.

For the new edition rules -
http://marchingincolour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/2013-rules-ve...

Also a full page template of Terrace House, ground floor, for ease of printing.

thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
CONTEST READY! WOOT!

All the rules, maps etc posted here -

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Xericor wrote:
CONTEST READY! WOOT!

All the rules, maps etc posted here -

Thanks
Chris

With both our games in this contest they should make a new category, Best Survival Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Survival of the survival games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Survival of the survival games.

We can put them all in a muddy pit with nothing but a handful of razor blades and a roll of barbed wire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.