James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the game would have been better had the cards been similar to the Warlords ccg. In Warlords although you had cards, you still needed to roll a D20 to succeed in attacking or defending, which was based on AC etc.
I guess certain games are more enjoyable if a certain luck factor is present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Warlords and the original version of DDM. I am very hesitant about this because of the no-dice mechanic. The tiles seem nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Based on your review and a few videos that I have seen the theme looks good but the game play appears to be a bit bland.

I love dice and the randomness that they add to a battle but no such luck with this game, disappointing

At $40.00 each faction it will get a little costly, however, these can be purchased online for aprox $26.00 each right now, still costly seeing as you need 2 sets for a descent game.

The plus side is ... if you have any or all of the D&D Adventure Games, the tiles and monsters are compatible with them. So consider this, at the current online price you will get a mediocre skirmish game that can also be considered as an "Add-on" pack for the D&D Adventure Series games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC has the DDM stat cards for download. You'll have to slog through the cards to find the ones which match the DC mini's, but free is free:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20090121

Also, the DDM fan site has 'em:
http://ddmguild.com/rules-and-cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the UK (well in one UK shop!) they are available for £31.99...

So to get both, thats just shy of £64, or a quid less than the new Descent is shifting for...

Not a criticism of either price (or possibly a criticism of both!), but interesting to see the price so close. If I had spare readies, Id probably plump for these over descent, though descent feels like a better buy in terms of components - I think my ideal game lies somewhere between the two sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
£21.37 + free UK delivery from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dungeon-Command-Dungeons-Dragons-Exp...

cool

Would pick em up if I hadn't just grabbed Descent 2.0 this afternoon... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bourbeau
United States
lowell
MA
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
compared to buying 80$ in mallifuex terraxclips(I just bought) and the 500$+ I spent on warmahordes and then another 200+ on warhammer 6th ed, I think dungeon command minis and terrain option in a box looks a lot more appealing to someone with a small wallet. (Though Relic Knights is what I am truly waiting for)

Also, I hate dice. I hate them. Dice do not = interesting game play. They are a time consuming amount of hand shakes that act as a random number generator that could be replaced by a quick card draw which could also contain a fun mechanic.

FFG uses dice correctly, with interesting symbols and ect(see Descent, Elder Signs).

So I love dungeon command. It is the old dnd skirmish game I was obsessed with, with no stupid dice, and far more interesting mechanics, as well as bonus content for the cooperative board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not_jeff wrote:

Also, I hate dice. I hate them. Dice do not = interesting game play. They are a time consuming amount of hand shakes that act as a random number generator that could be replaced by a quick card draw which could also contain a fun mechanic.

FFG uses dice correctly, with interesting symbols and ect(see Descent, Elder Signs).
So, it's not the randomness that bothers you, it's that they have pips instead of symbols? What about the deluxe dice for Summoner Wars that have pips and a symbol?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
msg tools
Postin’ over here, boss.
badge
Post over there, Luke.
mb
superflypete wrote:
You have to have two sets to play the game properly, which means that you're investing in an eighty dollar experience, not the forty dollars that I was initially looking at. Now, you get twelve miniatures per pack, two big tiles and two smaller tiles, a sheet of counters, and a bunch of cards for that forty dollar pack

I paid ~$25.00 per set from Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Incoming Priority Message...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, Pete!

I was also concerned about the lack of dice but found I liked this game because of that. I play a lot of different miniature games that involve dice and this was a nice change of pace. The randomness comes from card draw and players can still act with normal actions regardless of the draw.

This game won't replace Warmachine/Hordes or Song of Blades and Heroes because I do like those "Whoaaa!" moments in a game too (that's right, I quote Ted "Theodore" Logan ) but it will fill a niche when I want to combine Chess with a mini game.

I think the ability to build warbands and power decks is a cool idea but can see that going South quickly especially if one player uses a min-maxed warband/power deck combo and one player is using a stock warband/power deck. Of course, that only matters in tournament play since people playing casually can determine the limits of warband/power deck design any way they see fit.

The components are top-notch and including cards for the Adventure Game was an excellent idea by WotC.

Take care!

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Incoming Priority Message...
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Wasn't trying to convince you to like it just discussing the undice situation from my POV.

T. (Pete sux! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of Earth Reborn, Dungeon-Twister & Necromunda, I loved this review. Excellent job and very insightful, SFPete. thumbsup I Geekbuddied you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls