Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: alcohol [+] [View All]
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to get some help from the beer drinking game community here with a new hobby of mine. I'm part of a video podcast that just started up where we try a variety of beers with gaming in mind (www.pintsofinterest.net). We do shorter videos of individual beer reviews that last 5 – 10 minutes and a longer show (30 min) consisting of a blind taste test where we drink four beers (such as four IPAs or four stouts) and rate them on aroma, taste, and finish to find a winner. We pair the winner with food, a game, and a movie.

Our game recommendations take into account the type of beer, the ABV, and the complexity of game rules. I guess some or most of the games could fall into the "beer and pretzels" category with games like Telestrations, Times Up, and so forth, but I’m wondering if there are some that are less obvious. We’ve either recommended or plan to recommend games like Tichu, King of Tokyo, and Quarriors to give you an idea.

So anyway, what I really want to ask the community is this:

What games do you find work best while sipping on a craft brew and what beers do you like to drink while gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to be able to sip a bottle or two of Polish non-preserved beer like Ciechan, Warnińskie, Orkiszowe, Twierdzowe, Piwo Żywe or Koźlak. Unfortunately I live in UK and can the best I can find in stores are London Pride, Brewdog (but I can't really afford it), Newcastle Brown Ale, Yorkshire Square Ale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't had any of those Polish beers obviously, but we've had Newcastle. We also have some from BrewDog - Glen Moore Paradox, Brashah, and just for the sake of our show, Sink the Bizmark.

We plan on drinking the Bizmark for our 100th beer review. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I think 41% ABV will melt my taste buds. Do you have any particular recommendations for BrewDog?

I don't know London Pride, but seems to be pretty well regarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to send you some of our World's Smallest Sports Games, if you feel like doing a sports beer episode.

Drop me a private message, if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We drink all sorts of beer with all our games.
But games like Bohnanza, Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
which have a conversational/mistrusting thing to them will always go better with beer.

I have never actually thought of bringin beer that suits the game, but thats a brilliant idea!

I'm guessing I'll have an IPA next time I play the Ticket To Ride India expansion, and a Weissbier for Agricola.
Oyster stout with any Naval theme, but what should I have for our favourite game for the time beeing: Power Grid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon or its more available cousin Blue Moon City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza and Sabotuer are great suggestions and I already have both of them! Didn't even think of it.

For Power Grid, that's a tough one. If you want thematic, probably a Blue Berry Ale for the electricity.

Or, depending on what map you are using, get a beer from each region and poor a flight (small tasting glasses) of each one for all the players.

Or, a glass of Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout. You can swirl the dark liquid around in your glass and eye your opponents like a power hungry industrialist. Oh course you would have to refuse to use any wind power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found both Dominion and Crokinole enjoyable with a few beers. Both for different reasons.

Dominion just seems like it's more fun with a buzz going and my Crokinole skills seem to improve with each beer I drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire

you think i am joking, but Brass is a hoot when you can't quite think straight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or, a glass of Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout. You can swirl the dark liquid around in your glass and eye your opponents like a power hungry industrialist. Oh course you would have to refuse to use any wind powe

Wow! You have Nøgne Ø i America?!?!
That is impressive.

Just for that I will have a Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout (which is a BRILLIANT beer) with my next game of Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Dragon Inn is just so much better with a pint of some dark ale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
chockle wrote:

You might wind up drinking two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebbe wrote:
Quote:
Or, a glass of Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout. You can swirl the dark liquid around in your glass and eye your opponents like a power hungry industrialist. Oh course you would have to refuse to use any wind powe

Wow! You have Nøgne Ø i America?!?!
That is impressive.

Just for that I will have a Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout (which is a BRILLIANT beer) with my next game of Power Grid.

Indeed we do if you know where to look. We did a review of it. Haven't posted it yet, but it's coming up at some point.

We've done around 70 so far not counting full episodes and the beers we review on twitter. We've only posted 7 so far, but I'm putting them up as I edit them. We'll eventually hit a regular weekly release schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:

That's another good one that I already have and didn't think of. Pooky would be disappointed in me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Blue Moon or its more available cousin Blue Moon City.

How are the rules to Blue Moon City? I remember watching a review of this and being interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex Hex XL is a lot of fun with beer.

Hanabi is also interesting with a few beers in you. As the beer level rises the game becomes considerably more difficult and increasingly amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting to get Hanabi for a while now. Where did you get your copy?

I'll have to check out Hex Hex XL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer & Pretzels. Tumblin-Dice. Caveman Curling. Any kind of dexterity game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Business one of the best drinking.

Plague & Pestilence this was a favorite for some of my friends. After 1,000 plays I got a bit tired with it.

A game of Talisman gives you plenty of time to do a lot of drinking.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye is good. Think it is available in winter.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo, I believe to be one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

Newcastle and Guinness Draught are our go to beers of choice.

Moose Drool is worth trying for its chocolate coffee taste.

Boont Amber another tasty beverage.

Winterhook used to be good, but the quality of Red Hook seems to be declining.

Red Nectar can be tasty if you want something fruity.

I could go on and on......

Try some Lasala Absinthe with cream soda!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BEERs

Shock Top
Fat Tire
Sam Adams - Seasonals

Games

Red Dragon Inn
Munchkin
Cave Troll
Drakon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need more interaction than Talisman, but I'll check out Family Business.

I'm familiar with those Sierra Nevada (and actually just had the Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hopped Ale) and of course Newcastle and Guinness (a personal favorite).

Haven't heard of Boont Amber (not sure we can get it on the East Coast) and Red Nectar. Moose Drool is just begging to be tried if I can find it.

Absinthe has actually been banned by our significant others, so definitely not trying that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just did an episode on Fat Tire (this is one that is constantly recommended to us and for good reason) and I'm always down for pretty much Sam Adams anything (other than the Vixen - shudder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Beer and gaming is a common thing for us, so if I would go fancy i guess it would have to be : Rum with Merchants & Marauders! (would also work well with Puerto Rico)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hikes
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get out to Portland. And I definitely plan on doing whatever game I want, but my main concern is level of intoxication vs. game playability/complexity. For instance, I don't think combining an imperial IPA with Arkham Horror will yield great results.

I'd like to try some Deschutes beers. I have a double-sided tap handle with Cinder Cone on one side and Inversion on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial IPA with everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.