8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Stock Holding game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one of those? Usually i go with ranking but Airlines is more recent then U.P., 1830 playtime say 300 minutes! And i have no idea about chicago express.

I own, acquire and imperial already.

I sorted out theses game from stock holding filter. Maybe some are missing? Please help me find the best game

1830: Railways & Robber Barons

Chicago Express

Union Pacific

Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People missed my thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express is a great stock game that takes less than 90 minutes. The components are superb. Light enough for most people to play, but there's a lot there for a gamer to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago express is definitely a good game. If, however you don't like the train theme, then go for Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1830 is the deepest, best stock game there. If you've got the time to play it (and it would take multiple plays to really see it for what it is), go for that no doubt.

Chicago Express is a good "gateway" game for these heavy stock games. It's also got the benefit that many experienced gamers enjoy it and say there's a lot of replayability.

If you can't decide between the two, check out Baltimore & Ohio which I have seen described as 18xx lite and Chicago Express on steroids.

For another, lighter stock game (at the level of medium Euros), check out Bullfrog Goldfield which is about investing in the goldrush (with risks of the lucrative mine you invested in all of a sudden running out and becoming worthless). A great 45 minute stock game with insider trading and corruption is Hab & Gut

But if you want to go all the way with math and calculations and jump fully in, do 1830: Railways & Robber Barons and don't even think of bringing out another game for about 2 months, assuming you play once a week.

Btw, I've read that Airlines Europe is a more enjoyable Acquire, so you may want to research what that's all about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephenson's Rocket is another good Acquire derivative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a short game I suggest Chicago Express, best for 3-4 players. If you want a longer game, go with 1830, best with 4-6 players.

Yes, it'll take 5+ hrs (longer while you're new to it). What I normally do is photograph the board, write down player holdings and play over 2 sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea of picturing the board and write down what players had I'll go with 1830 it look a lot more epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.