United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been amassing and playing a ton of board games as of late, namely the following:

Fortune and Glory
Last Night on Earth
A Touch of Evil / Something Wicked
Tobago
Dread Pirate
Defenders of the Realm
Twilight Imperium

Hopefully that gives you an idea for what my wife and I like (highly thematic games, lots of great pieces, some strategy (but not TOO much), and of course, lots of fun.

I just got $80 to spend on games on Amazon, and the following top my list:

DungeonQuest
Sky Traders
Fury of Dracula
Mansions of Madness
Galaxy Trucker
Merchants and Marauders
Arkham Horror
War of the Ring

Keep in mind most games we play are just two people, with the occasional social gathering where we get 4-8 people playing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like coop games you can't go wrong with Arkham horror.

I'd take a look at Race for the Galaxy, and although you didn't list any worker placement game, if you happen to want to try Agricola is always a must
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm assuming that Space Hulk is beyond what you're willing to spend, a 2-player game very, very much inspired by it, Incursion is set in an alternate history WWII setting where American G.I.s wearing diesel powered power armor take on hordes of Nazi zombies and werewolf super soldiers

If you've ever had a Space Hulk itch, it's the next best and certainly cheaper way to scratch it. The biggest difference and the main reason for the reduction in price is that Incursion comes with really nicely detailed thick cardboard stand-ups instead of miniatures. They look darn good though. Of course there's a full line of miniatures out there for sale for those who want to upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you list:

If you want big, epic, and deeply thematic, go with War of the Ring.

If you want crazy fun, go with Galaxy Trucker.

If you want a giant co-op, go with Arkham Horror.

If you want a game without very many meaningful decisions--and pretty much just a see-how-my-luck-treats-me game, go with DungeonQuest. I hated it.

I haven't played any of the others.

I personally like Galaxy Trucker and War of the Ring.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

If you want a game without very many meaningful decisions--and pretty much just a see-how-my-luck-treats-me game, go with DungeonQuest.

That is a very good one sentence description of this game. But I have introduced DungeonQuest to 7 other people, ranged from ages 9 to 52, and they all enjoyed it. I enjoy it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker would be my pick from that list because it's unique and hilarious.

Arkham is decent as well if you're in the mood for a theme-y multi-hour roll-and-move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Merchants and Marauders and Fury of Dracula.

Merchants and Marauders is a beautiful game and its fun attacking your friends ships.
Fury of Dracula has an evocative theme, and some nice artwork on the character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been leaning away from Arkham Horror, just since we haven't played it yet, and we have A Touch of Evil, which is similar in theme (and somewhat in play).

Merchants and Marauders is high on my list, but not so much on my wife's, although I think I could get her into it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will continue pondering, and keep them coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rehm

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants and Marauders and Galaxy Trucker from that list. Both are superb games and very different from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
I've been leaning away from Arkham Horror, just since we haven't played it yet, and we have A Touch of Evil, which is similar in theme (and somewhat in play).

Merchants and Marauders is high on my list, but not so much on my wife's, although I think I could get her into it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will continue pondering, and keep them coming. :)

My wife and I have played Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness and Merchants and Marauders, all two-player. Arkham Horror is our favorite by a mile. Probably our all-time favorite game. We like the co-op aspect of it and the story-telling.

Mansions of Madness did not click with us. It doesn't flow in the same way as AH and a lot of the time neither of us quite knows what is going on.

Merchants and Marauders was a bust the only time we played it. There are lots of fiddly rules, especially in regards to combat and it just ended up frustrating my wife. We almost had to quit before the end. AH has the reputation for fiddly rules but once you get into the spirit of the game they seem much more intuitive than those in Merchants and Marauders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker is going for $53, and War of the Ring is $65. Removing Mansions of Madness and Fury of Dracula for now. Also removing Sky Traders (still too unknown).

So that basically leaves the following as viable options:

1) Galaxy Trucker + a small expansion for a game we own
2) War of the Ring + perhaps Forbidden Island (also on our list)
3) Merchants and Marauders + Arkham Horror (would just be over $80 total)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.