Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, during setup many of the outer (III) sector hexes are removed from play, but all the inner (I) and middle (II) sector hexes are kept.

When a hex stack is depleted, the rulebook says that the discarded ones are shuffled back in the game, and this means (if I undestand correctly) the ones discarded by the players while exploring, NOT the ones removed during setup.

For example, in a three-players game there are:
- 8 inner sector hexes in play (only 6 needed)
- 11 middle sector hexes (only 9 needed)
- 10 outer sector hexes (all potentially needed)

This implies that, assuming all hexes are explored, the outer hexes are chosen at random by the game (the players essentially only choose the positions by exploring), while, for the inner and middle sector hexes, the players effectively choose which ones are in play and which are not (by discarding).

Did I get this right? This seems to have relevant strategic implications when it comes to choosing whether to discard a hex in the different sectors: the players have complete information about the potential region I and II hexes, but incomplete information (at least at the beginning) about region III.

[EDIT: grammar]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Did I get this right? This seems to have relevant strategic implications when it comes to choosing whether to discard a hex in the different sectors: the players have complete information about the potential region I and II hexes, but incomplete information (at least at the beginning) about region III.

In theory, you are right.

In practice, however, by the time the players are good enough to utilize that kind of information, they will also be good enough that they are unlikely to discard hexes based on it. It is my experience that good players rarely discard hexes except in very particular circumstances (late-game explores, surrounded by ancients etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
In theory, you are right.

In practice, however, by the time the players are good enough to utilize that kind of information, they will also be good enough that they are unlikely to discard hexes based on it. It is my experience that good players rarely discard hexes except in very particular circumstances (late-game explores, surrounded by ancients etc.).

Thank you! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:

This implies that, assuming all hexes are explored, the outer hexes are chosen at random by the game (the players essentially only choose the positions by exploring), while, for the inner and middle sector hexes, the players effectively choose which ones are in play and which are not (by discarding).

Just remember discarding doesn't mean remove from game. In the case that someone wants to explore and there are only discarded hexes of that level left, you reshuffle to create a new draw stack. Although, I don't see alot of discarding happening, except when you play with the faction that can draw two and place 1.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question concerning setup:
Is the orientation of the home sectors fixed?
Or can the players choose the orientation themselves?
(Sry for hijacking the thread )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
Another question concerning setup:
Is the orientation of the home sectors fixed?
Or can the players choose the orientation themselves?
(Sry for hijacking the thread :))
The orientation of the home sectors is fixed, as shown in the diagram on page 5 of the English rulebook.

This topic has also been discussed in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
(Sry for hijacking the thread )

It fits the topic: it is a sector hexes setup question, after all. Makes sense to have both questions here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.