Dungeon Command» Forums » General

Subject: I need to know whether to get this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made an Amazon preorder which is 52 bucks for the two packs, and covering the shipment it seems I get it for less than retail. However, I have until the 24th to cancel my preorder. I need to know for those who played it whether the game gets stale after a while. I like the mechanics and gameplay, but with so little variation I fear it will become repetitive.

As a comparison, I'm an avid fan of Summoner Wars, having collect all their expansions and even their dice pack. Game like that has lots of replayability with the different factions and dice keeps it from becoming "chess" by adding a degree of randomness and suspense. I've read some of the reviews over here and there, and so far there does seem some grievances toward the game due to the above problems I'm fearing.

Anyone care to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Tom Vasel's video overview. http://boardgamegeek.com/video/18782/dungeon-command-sting-o...

He indicates he is going to do a comparison between Dungeon Command, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars; which may be worth waiting for before you decide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking to get this as well but the more i learn about it... the less appealing it is starting to become.

I was not sure what it was going to be but now it looks more and more like a fantasy version of Tannhauser.

Basically a Death-Match game. That facet simply turned me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jflight1 wrote:
You may want to check out Tom Vasel's video overview. http://boardgamegeek.com/video/18782/dungeon-command-sting-o...

He indicates he is going to do a comparison between Dungeon Command, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars; which may be worth waiting for before you decide

I won't have time for that, my shipment is due out on the 24th. So i have to make a decision by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Here is the way I see it.

Summoner Wars is cool, but how on earth could this have less tactics? Summoner Wars has no terrain. It's just a board and you set up some walls and go at it.

Dungeon command has terrain that harms you, terrain that slows you, and terrain that blocks line-of site. So that alone means there is more to the game. The fact that you can randomize/change the terrain every game and there will be more terrain with every faction pack means the map will have even more variation. With Summoner Wars it is always the same, except where you put the walls. (Forgive me if the later Summoner Wars packs add terrain modifiers I've only played the original factions.)

The game has no dice? Does the fact that Magic has no dice eliminate variance? No. This game will have plenty of variance especially when you realize every pack has different order cards and different terrain. Playing the game over and over again, like Magic, will yield different play experiences.

Since you like Summoner Wars, there is a good chance you might like this game. Read through the rules, look at the card lists, read Merric's session reports.

Well I'll give you that, the only thing DC has gameplay-wise over SW is terrain. However, SW has 16 factions at the moment with reinforcements so there's no two same games. In SW, there's lots of tactics like Assassination(go for the enemy summoner), or Turtling(delay the game because your deck performs better endgame), Board ControlPositioning, and performing awesome combos that your enemy doesn't see coming. The dice really makes the difference, since sometimes a well thought out plan can fail and it takes planning to prepare for that.

For DC, all I see is we're trying to exchange pieces with your opponent more efficiently. Basically, try to kill or damage as many of them as possible while minimizing yours. There's positioning also, I suppose. What is to differentiate two games where both my opponent and I draw the same faction and place the same creatures at the start? How does the game handle if we both just stall and turtleup to a superior defensive position while grabbing all the treasure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are game days this weekend. Go check it out at a local shop and see for yourself, although it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll letcha know after D&D Gamesday on 7/21.

However, Superfly's review is lukewarm if you're not buying this game also for the bits. The mini's support D&D RPG, D&D Miniatures Game, D&D Adventure System, and D&D HeroScape. (HeroScapers.com should have army cards for the DC sets.) And $26 for 12 miniatures, including huge ones and plus terrain, is a GOOD price for miniatures.

But if you don't use 'em for other games, you might as well be buying an overpriced fancy chess set.

EDIT: I posted a First Impressions on the Lolth forums. I also checked today and Amazon bumped up the price of each set by about $10. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kiger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
My local shop had a demo today and I ended up buying both sets. I played twice, once with each side. I think it played a lot like a combo of what I liked about heroscape and summoner wars. The downside is the lack of expansions so far, but it looks like there are already three more in the works. On the plus side in that regard, if you are building a war band, you can include adventurers, so you can actually make a combo team from the first two sets. You can also mix and match event cards and map pieces to really change things up. A couple of the spiders are boring paint jobs and a couple of the drow are minis that I never really cared for, but I like the paint jobs a lot more than the D&D minis (heroscape or otherwise).
I'll get some more plays in tomorrow, but I would not hesitate to recommend this game to someone who likes skirmish games and pre-painted minis. I have never cared much for the 4e co-op board games, so I can not comment on how balanced these sets are for those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glenn3e wrote:
I made an Amazon preorder which is 52 bucks for the two packs, and covering the shipment it seems I get it for less than retail. However, I have until the 24th to cancel my preorder. I need to know for those who played it whether the game gets stale after a while. I like the mechanics and gameplay, but with so little variation I fear it will become repetitive.

As a comparison, I'm an avid fan of Summoner Wars, having collect all their expansions and even their dice pack. Game like that has lots of replayability with the different factions and dice keeps it from becoming "chess" by adding a degree of randomness and suspense. I've read some of the reviews over here and there, and so far there does seem some grievances toward the game due to the above problems I'm fearing.

Anyone care to share? :)

If you cancel now, can't you just reorder for the same amount later after you have more information / reviews / a better feeling for the game?

I played the demo today at my local game store.

The randomness comes from two things. The creatures that you draw and the orders that you draw. In general, You only get more creature cards once you've played creatures and only draw 1 additional order a turn. Everything else is predicated on player decisions, which mean the more skilled player will disproportionally win or conversely, the less skilled player can at time has little to no chance of winning.

One other concern you might have coming from Summoner Wars is that the customization that you can do in Dungeon Command can sift the win rate heavily to a player who spent the most money while Summoner Wars, the win rate change is slight and more of a flavor change. This is akin to Magic the Gathering Starter deck going up against a finely tuned competitive tournament deck.

Other difference between Summoner War and Dungeon Command, Summoner Wars you can teach to almost any new player really quickly and easily, but Dungeon Command has a few finicky / abstract rules that can confuse or be harder to grasp by casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are alot more posts in the Sting of Lolth forums giving more info, reviews, and play session examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
I was looking to get this as well but the more i learn about it... the less appealing it is starting to become.

I was not sure what it was going to be but now it looks more and more like a fantasy version of Tannhauser.

Basically a Death-Match game. That facet simply turned me off.

FFG has turned Tannhauser from a Deathmatch game to a scenario-based game. I'm sure that if WotC don't release scenarios the fans will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.