Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Words that peak the interests of wargamers and collectors alike...

With the wife and kids out of town for the week, I thought I'd take advantage of the time and quiet at home and really play some wargames. I had two great solo games of The Ironclads and feeling good about the old stuff I decided to break open an "OOP and new in shrink" Marine: 2002 that had been sitting on my shlef for a while. And I was really looking forward to it... until while reading the rules I couldn't figure out what terrain/craters things they were referring to. I figured out about 20 minutes later that one of the two counter sheets (the one with the multi-hex craters, of course) was missing from the game. Ugh. Not much recourse against an out-of-business company for a defective product 30-some years old... Ugh. I got a complete copy from ebay for a few bucks, so that should solve my crater problem.

Oh well, what can one do? (Went back to Ironclads... I really like this game now! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it... I am going to x-ray my OOP in Shrink copies of Magic Realm & Merchant of Venus next time I go to work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be why when looking for games my priority list for out of print stuff goes:

-Opened, inventoried complete and unpunched
-Open inventoried complete and punched
-New in shrink
-Open, inventoried incomplete and punched/unpunched
-Open uninventoried EDIT-forgot this one

That second to last one really depends on what is missing though. A few marked counters that there are multiples of, or a missing play aid that is a duplicate are no big deal and could easily move it up in the list. And missing something crucial could move it down.

It's also why I open every new game right away and inventory it. If it's missing something I'd rather know right away while replacement should hopefully be easier. Plus, if I sell it in the future I'd rather be able to tell someone "It's all there because I checked" than "It *should* all be there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want to buy an OOP in Shrink empty soap box copy of SPI's Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the older games weren't shrink wrapped in the first place.

I'd much rather get an opened and inventoried copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me once and I ended up buying another game - found it at a local auction for $1. You can also look to see if anyone has parts here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Early SPI games--but not those in the white box--were "sealed" with a rather elegant loop of plastic that stretched over opposite corners. I wish now that I had saved them all! (They were most effective in keeping the lids down once counters were punched.)

Perhaps I'm speaking to folks who already know all this! How old is the average age here I wonder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Early SPI games--but not those in the white box--were "sealed" with a rather elegant loop of plastic that stretched over opposite corners. I wish now that I had saved them all! (They were most effective in keeping the lids down once counters were punched.)

Perhaps I'm speaking to folks who already know all this! How old is the average age here I wonder...

I have many of these in my collection; trust me, they have not aged well (the flat trays, that is...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

I have many of these in my collection; trust me, they have not aged well (the flat trays, that is...).

Same with many flatpacks in my collection. The old shrink plastic became brittle after all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a habit not to open new games to inventory. So I keep many of my collection still new in shrink. Certainly I can sell them for more in future when I am too old to play and think. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're too old to think, what use is more money?

My wargames are my retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
I have a habit not to open new games to inventory. So I keep many of my collection still new in shrink. Certainly I can sell them for more in future when I am too old to play and think. laugh

Not to me you can't. Like I said, I'd pay more for them open and inventoried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

Not to me you can't. Like I said, I'd pay more for them open and inventoried.

My only "unopened, still in shrink" games are a couple of second copies of esteemed favorites that I've retained as backup or replacement copies if my playing copy gets damaged or ruined.

Otherwise, if I haven't at least opened a game up, let alone not played it, I really have to ask myself why i spent money on it in the first place.

As mentioned, "shrink wrap" doesn't mean much these days. I've heard horror stories of people who opened "shrink-wrapped" copies just to find the box empty. Players of collectible miniatures games have been known to open "sealed' boosters only to find out that they've been obviously culled of the best stuff, etc. Unless you are getting it straight from the manufacturer or a reliable retailer then "shrink wrap" means little. Much better to have "opened and inventoried." Not to mention that manufacturer's have been known to make mistakes in packing and even a shrink-wrapped game might be missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago I opened the shrink on a slightly older OOP game and to my horror I found that there were a ton of counter sheets missing. Luckily the publisher still had some extras in stock and mailed them out to me gratis.

Since then I have opened all my shrink wrapped games to make sure they have the proper pieces. I would personally like to receive opened OOP games now versus shrink wrapped ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Anyone want to buy an OOP in Shrink empty soap box copy of SPI's Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862?

Not me. In spite of my sentimental connection to Shiloh, from having walked the battlefield several times starting in childhood, I'm selling my copy too. But it is opened, and is being inventoried by a game seller on CSW with a good reputation for carefully checking all the games that he sells. There is also an extra little booklet inside that I picked up at the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
That's it... I am going to x-ray my OOP in Shrink copies of Magic Realm & Merchant of Venus next time I go to work...

I suggest you should play your OOP shrink copy of Magic Realm. Will give you more joy than finding out (if you believe in an afterlife) that your wife toss all of your games in the garbage can when you're gone

... or give them to one of your old friends who offers to help her get rid "of this old worthless stuff".

But there is still the option to get burnt and take all of the games with you - lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Garfink wrote:

I suggest you should play your OOP shrink copy of Magic Realm. Will give you more joy than finding out (if you believe in an afterlife) that your wife toss all of your games in the garbage can when you're gone

... or give them to one of your old friends who offers to help her get rid "of this old worthless stuff".

But there is still the option to get burnt and take all of the games with you - lol

Need not worry! I have opened copies of both games both Avalon versions AND homebrew versions to play with! These Hamblen classics are the few games I've multiple copies of.

On a more serious note, I too prefer to buy opened and used (I am too lazy to punch, let alone clip!) complete copies of games, so I have very few in-shrink games in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer punched (and clipped copies). Wargamers are usually very good at not losing counters anyway in my experience.

For old OOP games I can't make myself punch it anyway. Have to buy a punched copy if I want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have punched and clipped some games just to make me play it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Calandale has converted me into a "I prefer to buy punched and cheap" guy. If I end up missing some bits I just make em with blank counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamers seem to be better at keeping the counters 'unlost' with the advent of counter trays and good zip lock bags. I remember putting counters into the Lock Top baggies where you folded over the flap back when other gamers were just leaving the counters in the bottom of the box. I guess Tupperware was too expensive back then. And where could I find a salesperson when over in Europe without the Internet???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
Calandale has converted me into a "I prefer to buy punched and cheap" guy. If I end up missing some bits I just make em with blank counters.

I visit the FLGS and buy used games quite often. I bought 2 or 3 this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Here's the relevant text from an auction I just won: This Auction is for Avalanche Press -John Prados' THIRD REICH (Punched Counters & in great shape!) The Game is lightly used and the uncounted Counters are punched and put in a Ziplock Baggy. The Box, Hardbound Mapboards, and the Player Aid Sheets all look to be lightly used, and everything appears to be in very good condition. The key words are "look to be" & "appears". I took a chance but no one else bid for the game and if it is missing a few counters I likely can find a work around. Most anything else I should be able to find with some help from everyone here or on Consim.

Don't you just love listings that say something like; "should be complete". Well heck yeah, it sure should be complete but is it? I prefer a straight, "I do not know if it is complete."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Gunslinger new and still in shrink.

Hardly even had to fight for it on ebay.

Some days I think about ripping it open and diving in. I know it is highly respected in some circles, but I've read enough about the rules and their complexity to leave me hesitant. Figure I still have a nice little pile of more modern games to get through first before I unwrap that thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RawDealDemo wrote:

Some days I think about ripping it open and diving in. I know it is highly respected in some circles, but I've read enough about the rules and their complexity to leave me hesitant. Figure I still have a nice little pile of more modern games to get through first before I unwrap that thing.

A never ending process of going through all the old OOP games. I can't even go through the piles of new ones. I am sure I bought more than 24 games in a year and my maximum capacity to play (allowable by my dear) sticks around that number. So, I can only have more and more OOP games that get unplayed year after year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.