Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted on MY BLOG
------------

On Monday there were rumblings of a 10 player game of Saboteur.

Really? Saboteur? 10 players? Time to R-U-N-N-O-F-T

Only I was trapped in the corner, with no way out – and social convention prevents me from making a quick exit through the bar window, so Sab it was.

This game should be a lot of fun. Players are secretly given roles at the start to either be happy, honest gold digging Dwarves, or dirty, insolent, traitorous saboteurs. Then in turn and from a small hand, the Dwarves will play one card. Normally, this will be laying map cards linking the starting point towards one of the 3 ‘mystery zones’ that will contain the Gold. Obviously, the good dwarves are trying to make the connection, the saboteurs ensuring that it doesn’t happen.

Evil Dwarf...

Beyond map tiles, players also have cards that allow them to peek at one the mystery zones ‘reliably’ informing the rest of the group as to its contents (if they believe you). There are also ‘rock fall’ cards that remove map tiles from the board (very useful to the sabs) and equipment break and repair cards that can be played on yourself or other Dwarves.

When your equipment (minecart, pickaxe or lamp) is BROKEN by one of these cards, you may no longer play map tiles - so the social game is all about making sure the other team is prevented from aiding / wrecking the route to the gold. Only you don’t know who the other team is. Or who your team is… and so it goes.

I LOVE the description of this game – it sounds fun – but I am yet to really enjoy a game of Saboteur. If you have poor cards or if you’ve had your equipment broken then you may just have to discard and pass on your turn. With 7-10 players, this could be several minutes until your next go.

There's gold in them thar cards...zzzzzzzzzzz

The arguments and heated accusations that work so well and have a distinct and immediate focus in The Resistance are tedious in Sab. I do play with smaller games hoping that this will be the game that ‘works’ but I’m growing tired. Maybe it’s just not as good as the sum of its parts might suggest.

As a play experience, for me, Sab is a one GAVEL game (out of four)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm.

Personally I really like this game and think it is one of the precious few games that can be learned easily in one sitting even with a group of 5-10 people.

I certainly don't believe that the designer was out to fry any neurons with this game, zombie but he definitely gave us a party game that will satisfy most in my opinion.

I also highly suggest that you try it on www.boardgamearena.com where some professional SMACK talkers will ham it up so much that you'll reach for that can of spam just like the old days - lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Sab on Boardgamearena was one of the most painful gaming experiences of my life.

I know its all about the group - but it took SOOOOO long...and half of them were French! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.