Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Joist
Germany
Burghausen
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if I the street is blocked some fields in front of me and I do a time attack with more dice than I actually need to reach the field behind the blocked road?

Just stand behind the blocked road? Control loss? Do I get time attack seconds for all dice rolled or only for the dice actually used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't allow it. You would know at the time you choose your dice whether or not you'd be blocked. If you were allowed to throw all the dice knowing you're going to end up stopped after moving just one space, it'd be abusive -- you could throw all seven dice and take the 7 seconds of bonus time knowing you'd never experience enough hazards to crash before having to stop on the track. If you don't allow the bonus seconds to be taken, then there just isn't any point in rolling the extra dice.

If you are time attacking and you're going to end up blocked, I don't think you should be allowed to roll more dice than you can possibly use. I think it follows the same rule about time attacking and reaching the end of the track -- if you're on the last space on the track, you can't roll all seven dice to time attack the one space you need to move to finish your run.

...Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither would I. Sure, there are alternate ways to use the dice to maximize how many dice you could use, but above and beyond that I wouldn't allow it.

It isn't like Formula D where you can roll a die and just pray you roll under a certain number so you don't smash into somebody, but that isn't the case with Rallyman.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Got to play my first games of Rallyman and Rallyman: Dirt today. Awesome game and we both give it 5:5
This, admittedly though, is our first go with any form of racing game.

A question did come up, and it is similar to the original poster's question, so I thought I'd post here. Well several questions came up actually, but the big one was; if you are rocketing into a corner that you can not down shift to make, can you still Time-Attack to get the bonus seconds? IE:

So in the above, I would be coming into the corner in 5th gear and obviously couldn't down shift to 2nd. Can I roll all the dice as pictured and assume I wreck in the first space of the corner? I down shifted enough to not be an automatic removal from game (within 1 or 2 gears of the corner). We ruled that you couldn't Time-Attack.

Did we rule correctly?

The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, good question. I would play it that you could not time attack, since you have to be able to try and play all the dice you rolled, and in this case you can't roll more than one die before losing control.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't allow it -- I think you have to have a realistic expectation that you would be able to use the Time Attack dice in order to get the benefit. Just like I wouldn't allow a Time Attack to use more dice knowing your car would be blocked on the road, I wouldn't allow Time Attack dice to be used if you knew the car was going to lose control on the first die because it was going too fast for the corner.

Honestly, having crunched some of the numbers, I'm not sure you're really ever at an advantage purposely blowing a corner, even if you rolled all seven dice for 7 seconds of Time Attack bonus, given that you end up with a 60sec card (and that's assuming your spinout *doesn't* end in damage/disaster).

...Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was some really poor planning ending up in a gear that you cannot take a corner in.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, thanks for the speedy responses!

To be honest, it was some "really poor planning." It was early on and we were focusing more on how many dice to roll and how to use them than to actually be able to plan forward.

I think it happened once to each of us early on. It did pop up once more, if I recall correctly, when we were in a a sharp "S" and it required a 'double downshift' and the intermediate die was rolled by accident. Where, instead of skipping a die, it was accidentally rolled in a Time-Attack and we agreed that if they are rolled, they are played.

Again, thanks.

Now off to post a new question on Damage!

The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny W
Germany
Eppertshausen
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheBane wrote:
I would be coming into the corner in 5th gear and obviously couldn't down shift to 2nd. Can I roll all the dice as pictured and assume I wreck in the first space of the corner? I down shifted enough to not be an automatic removal from game (within 1 or 2 gears of the corner). We ruled that you couldn't Time-Attack.

Did we rule correctly?

The Bane

NO it's wrong:
You have to plan your move. So for the first field you can use either the 4th or 5th gear. Then you loose control. For one die time attack is not possible.

If your car stops 2 fields in advance: you can plan your move 432GG - take all 5 dice and throw. If get (!) for all dice except of 2nd gear you can use them: 43G -> loose control or 432G -> loose control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
JohnyW wrote:
TheBane wrote:
I would be coming into the corner in 5th gear and obviously couldn't down shift to 2nd. Can I roll all the dice as pictured and assume I wreck in the first space of the corner? I down shifted enough to not be an automatic removal from game (within 1 or 2 gears of the corner). We ruled that you couldn't Time-Attack.

Did we rule correctly?

The Bane

NO it's wrong:
You have to plan your move. So for the first field you can use either the 4th or 5th gear. Then you loose control. For one die time attack is not possible.

If your car stops 2 fields in advance: you can plan your move 432GG - take all 5 dice and throw. If get (!) for all dice except of 2nd gear you can use them: 43G -> loose control or 432G -> loose control.

Thanks for the reply. I think how we ruled, and what you are saying are the same. Just said differently.

Happy gaming,
The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.