BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to play with my mum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly soon I will be visiting my mum for a couple weeks, and I hope to play a few games whilst there. The rules need to be fairly simple, the games can't be abstracts, preferably fighty themes should be avoided, and they need to work well with both 2 and 3 players.

Here's the problem though..I'm not really interested in buying the conventional gateway games. I've played Carcasonne not even 10 times and I already feel like I've worn it out. Ticket to Ride is rather good, but I can't imagine ever choosing to bring it to the table, except when playing with newbies or insistent friends, because there simply aren't enough paths to go down to keep strategy interesting to me. Lightweight yet fairly long euros for the most part don't hugely interest me.

I'm not sure how well I'm explaining what I want here :S Basically, I'm looking for something which has simple rules (and matches everything listed in the first paragraph) yet also has a fair amount of depth and which justifies the amount of time it takes to play. Also: pleeeease no co-operative games

I'm fairly new to gaming and so don't really have any ideas myself on what would be good..

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan. Role selection based mechanic. Players select a role and then everybody gets to do that role. The person picking the role does get an additional advantage. Of the roles, I feel like 3 being picked per turn is a nice amount, so 2-3 players works well. It's fairly straight forward in that you build buildings, gain and trade goods, and earn victory points. It's a gateway for other games like Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, and Glory to Rome. It's also cheap and comes in a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - It seems it will please all parties here. When the teacher knows the rules well, this game is a cinch to teach--especially if playing the family version, which I recommend with your mum. It plays well at all play counts. And I'd say it's a medium-weight game when played with the full rules. So it shouldn't bore you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Ra: The Dice Game or Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. Both leverage any existing Yahtzee knowledge, but both have some depth. Not a ton, but should keep you amused for 10-40 games at least.

And +1 San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Agricola - It seems it will please all parties here. When the teacher knows the rules well, this game is a cinch to teach--especially if playing the family version, which I recommend with your mum. It plays well at all play counts. And I'd say it's a medium-weight game when played with the full rules. So it shouldn't bore you.

Seriously? The poster has explained that they are "new to gaming" and they are looking to pickup the "conventional gateway games". While Agricola is a great game, it's not a gateway game and it's rules aren't "simple" to a new gamer. Edit: If they use the family style play it could be easier, but it's still not a gateway game.

Here are a few card games that are simple to learn:

Haggis Trick taking, similar to many classic card games.
Bohnanza This one is a card game that can seat lots of people.
The Bottle Imp Another trick taking game.

And for more lightweight euros:

Notre Dame
Kingdom Builder
El Grande
Rattus
Metropolys
Patrician

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the 10 days series:

10 Days in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Seriously?

Yes. Seriously.

Bryan Fischer wrote:
The poster has explained that they are "new to gaming" and they are looking to pickup the "conventional gateway games".

You're wrong. The poster explained being new to gaming and that he is "not interested in conventional gateway games". Please read the original post more carefully. Here's the quote:

Nekomimi1 wrote:
..I'm not really interested in buying the conventional gateway games.

Based on this, and these two comments by the original poster:

Nekomimi1 wrote:
Lightweight yet fairly long euros for the most part don't hugely interest me.

and

Nekomimi1 wrote:
...simple rules (and matches everything listed in the first paragraph) yet also has a fair amount of depth.

I believe the poster is looking for something a little deeper than a conventional gateway game, but still relatively easy to teach and learn. I think Agricola is this.

Bryan Fischer wrote:
While Agricola is a great game, it's not a gateway game...

Correct. I wouldn't have recommended it if it was a gateway game, because I knew he's "not interested in the conventional gateway games".

Bryan Fischer wrote:
...and it's rules aren't "simple" to a new gamer.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I learned Agricola when I was a new gamer, and it was quite easy. I found it just as easy as Stone Age. I also managed to teach it to several other newbies on my first play with no problem. Like I said before, if one person knows the rules well, its rules are so well integrated into the theme, that it's easy to digest the rules--newbie or not.

I learned the game on my own to a near-perfect level simply by watching Scott Nicholson's video review. I suggest that video to the OP. In fact, you could watch it and see if you like the looks of it. Perhaps after watching that video, you could see for yourself if you think it's too much for you and your mum.

Bryan Fischer wrote:
Edit: If they use the family style play it could be easier, but it's still not a gateway game.

If you read my original recommendation, you'll see I suggested the family version to the poster, at least when playing with his mum. And again, the poster is not interested in conventional gateway games.

--

Bonus anecdote:

My 7-year-old niece understood this game the first time I played it with her. Was she good at it? No. Did she know what to do on her turns? Yes. She was fixed on getting a lot of animals, so she collected wood, build a lot of fences, and adopted animals anytime she could. She didn't win, but she had a lot of fun building up her farm, and that's Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Bryan Fischer wrote:
Seriously? The poster has explained that they are "new to gaming" and they are looking to pickup the "conventional gateway games". While Agricola is a great game, it's not a gateway game and it's rules aren't "simple" to a new gamer. Edit: If they use the family style play it could be easier, but it's still not a gateway game.

Two people who didn't look at the OP's collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Bryan Fischer wrote:

Two people who didn't look at the OP's collection.

Matt, unless the OP tells me to, I don't look at the OP's collection. The reason for this is because these recommendation threads are not exclusively useful to the OP. Other users are welcome to browse previously-created threads to find recommendations based on the OP's requests too.

Further, if the OP decides that Agricola will work for his situation, I may have just saved him some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Further, if the OP decides that Agricola will work for his situation, I may have just saved him some money.

I figure somebody who has played the game at least 5 times would be smart enough to know if it would work or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
thedacker wrote:

I figure somebody who has played the game at least 5 times would be smart enough to know if it would work or not.

It's true. I'm guessing he could also (of course, who am I to assume since I have plenty of games I've played 5 times that I forget about laugh ). That last sentence was 90% jest. But the point remains:

Recommending a game that the OP already owns is more useful for the forums as a whole because the recommendation threads are not exclusively useful to the OP.

I will continue to disregard the OP's collection when making a recommendation unless the OP requests otherwise. I believe I have solid reasoning for that.

--

Nekomimi1, I apologize for allowing this convo to get a little out of control. I'll refrain from any further off-topic comments. If you have any questions about my recommendation, please ask. Also, let us know what you decide. I like knowing and hearing how your decision goes.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I got owned. Darn, I missed the not in the original post. My bad. Anyway, moving on from the drama that apparently sprung up after that...

Notre Dame is still a great option. It's simple to learn, but you don't master it right away and depending on how your opponents are playing the game can change each time. Just don't let those rats get out of control! This one will get played plenty.

Rattus is also a great choice. It's simple to learn and very cool to play. It reminds me of a classic game in many ways and while it has some luck, players who have played it a lot have found ways to mitigate that luck. This is a short game that you will visit again and again.

El Grande is another great game with simple rules and tons of replay value. It can be fairly nasty though, so keep that in mind. The gameplay will vary a bit depending on who you are playing with, but overall it is a solid game.

And no, I haven't checked the OP's collection.

I suggested several card games the first time around because I know a lot of people my Mom's age grew up playing card games. This depends on where in the world you live of course, and I know in the UK your mom was probably more likely to play board games well into adulthood, but regardless... card games tend to be a good option.

AND to reply very briefly to thedacker, Agricola isn't hard to muddle with and get a low score in, but it can take a number of plays before you feel like you truly have your head wrapped around it. This is often overwhelming for many new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, Bryan!

My kids (9 and 11) can play the family version of Agricola just fine! Using the cards amps up the skill level dramatically, as they both score much lower with cards than without, but without cards, it's a really simple game, and because it's so "themanic", everyone already knows how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.