Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like drafts in games because they generally encourage me to try new things. I have been thinking about it and it seems like it could be interesting to "draft" a spellbook. I'd have to come up with a good set of rules for drafting based around the point totals, as well as how to build the "packs" to draft from, but it doesn't seem impossible and may even be fun to do every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
hotcoffeeburns wrote:
I like drafts in games because they generally encourage me to try new things. I have been thinking about it and it seems like it could be interesting to "draft" a spellbook. I'd have to come up with a good set of rules for drafting based around the point totals, as well as how to build the "packs" to draft from, but it doesn't seem impossible and may even be fun to do every now and then.

Very nice! We have a team working out drafting and other modes of play. If you have any ideas, send them our way and we will try to work them into our models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hughes
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very interesting as a play tester I hadn't even thought of this. This would be very interesting and would be very different than drafting for magic for example. Plus pretty much all of the spells in Mage Wars are useful in certain situations so you wouldn't run into really any dead space in your deck most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can see a few ways to do it. When we run a cube format in MtG, we draft by sorting out the colors, shuffling them, then dealing two of four colors, three of one color (alternates each pack), two artifacts/gold cards (or one and one), and two special lands. It isn't an exact replica of a booster pack, but is pretty close. I could see something similar working here by sorting schools, etc. You'd want to sit some cards out though, so only use a certain number of the packs you build.

Since the Warlock seems to be the only mage that has two schools, but I think this could be made interesting too. Instead of picking a specific mage, you draft or draw two random schools of the 10 or however many ship with the base game. I only have the website to go by. This way, you end up with an even chance. This could of course be adjusted if you wanted, but I think two is enough. That gives people enough options in a draft pack to draft from. I'd stick with building to a point limit instead of a number of cards, so there could potentially be occasions in which one player is done but the other is not, but I think that's OK. The player that isn't done still has to pick from the packs one at a time.

Of course this is all theory-crafting until I get my hands on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.