BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 18xx series, need help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Which of the 18xx series you recommend? i was about to order 1830 but my friend think we wont be able to bring it on the table because of the listed playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're essentially all long games, if that's your concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After (getting crushed in a 6-player game) 1 playing a game of 1830 I did the PnP of 18GA & 18AL. I think they both do very well in presenting the system for 3 players and at minimal cost. The 'bigger' game typically are best with more people and can be significantly longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the 18xx are long games. Listed play time for 1830 is 3-5 hours-- with new people, expect it take close to 8. You need dedicated people. If you want a deep train stock game that's going to hit the table on a more regular basis, try Chicago Express-- it rarely takes more than an hour to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for chicago express. It captures the feeling of an 18XX game, but without the length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:
After (getting crushed in a 6-player game) 1 playing a game of 1830 I did the PnP of 18GA & 18AL. I think they both do very well in presenting the system for 3 players and at minimal cost. The 'bigger' game typically are best with more people and can be significantly longer.

I would agree that trying the PnP version of 18AL is your best bet: its a simpler version and a good introduction to the game. With a bit of experience, you will get plays in under 3 hours.

A typical 18xx game will take ~4-5 hours once you know how to play; I'm not sure more players make them better ... different, but not better. For me, the sweetspot is 3-4 people.

They are amazing games but not for everyone ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want something more complex than CE but not as lengthy as 18xx, have a look at Baltimore & Ohio, which is still a heavy game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
+1 for chicago express. It captures the feeling of an 18XX game, but without the length.

I wouldn't go that far. I enjoy Chicago Express, but it doesn't really scratch the same itch that 18XX does. At their core there are some similarities, but 18XX offers a much deeper experience. CE may be a good first step into economic train games though. Especially if you're looking for something shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say Train game... what do you really want to say? Because i own TTR and it is not my favorite game... I was interested into 1830 because of the stock holding and economic aspect. I already own acquire which is a filler and not deep at all.

Im also considering Brass and Steam, Brass is soon to be reprinted and steam is back order at my store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try 1860. Works well with two players, and doesn't take as long as 1830. I don't agree that CE is a good substitute for 18xx, it doesn't have anywhere near the interesting decisions that 1830/46/60/61 do (those are the 18xx's that I've played). CE was kind of dry even for a stock/train game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon is a shorter, nice looking, quick playing 18xx game. It is heavily nerfed though in terms of the sorts of stock market shenanigans you can perform. It's more of a "run good companies" type of 18xx than the "screw around with the stocks/presidencies" branch of the games, (where 1830 clearly sits).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my recommendation:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/665386/1846-a-fine-intro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
When you say Train game... what do you really want to say?

When I say train game, I'm usually referring to stock-holding games with a route-building aspect in which inter-player dynamics are hugely important, information is open, and there is little to no randomness.

I'd agree that Chicago Express isn't a substitute for the 18xx-- there's a lot more going on with the latter, and you have far greater tools at your disposal. I suggested it more as an alternative-- if the length puts you off 18xx, and you're interested in non-random stock-holding with butterfly effects, Chicago Express is still very deep (IMHO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

I love '46 the most, but damn it takes a long time with newbies. I finally was able to obtain a copy and have taught it twice in the last two weeks. Both times took six hours. My two player plays of 1860 were 2 1/1 to 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

I love '46 the most, but damn it takes a long time with newbies. I finally was able to obtain a copy and have taught it twice in the last two weeks. Both times took six hours. My two player plays of 1860 were 2 1/1 to 3 hours.

I have yet to play 1860 (although it is sitting on my shelf staring at me), but personally I'd recommend Steam over Holland as a better introduction to 18xx. It has a lot less exceptions to the general 18xx ruleset. I'm really excited to try 1860 but I just don't think it'd be a good first game.

Steam Over Holland has a fixed number of rounds (5 stock rounds and 10 operating rounds) and then it ends. While it may not give you the full 18xx experience (since it's a fixed number of rounds), it's probably closer than anything else that plays in a reasonable amount of time (3 - 4 hours).

I'll also echo that CE doesn't have the same feel as 18xx (although it is an excellent game in its own right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 18Scan is worth a try. After you get the rules down you should be able to get through a game in a couple of hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Both times took six hours. My two player plays of 1860 were 2 1/1 to 3 hours.

How many people were you playing 1846: The Race for the Midwest with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
Both times took six hours. My two player plays of 1860 were 2 1/1 to 3 hours.

How many people were you playing 1846: The Race for the Midwest with?

Four both times. Both times one player (not the same player) had played it once before and the other two had not. I have to keep teaching it so that one day I'll get to experience a really nice smooth experience, but getting there calls for a lot of patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

Be prepared to wait though - extrapolating on how my order has moved so far I won't get my copy until 2014 at the earliest. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
When you say Train game... what do you really want to say? Because i own TTR and it is not my favorite game

TtR isn't a train game. It's a set collection game with a pasted on train theme mostly due to the train pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
jschlickbernd wrote:
Four both times. Both times one player (not the same player) had played it once before and the other two had not. I have to keep teaching it so that one day I'll get to experience a really nice smooth experience, but getting there calls for a lot of patience.

OK, Jennifer, next time I can get out that way we need to get in a 3 or 4 player game. I promise that with 3, we'll get through in under three hours, probably in under 2.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:
Be prepared to wait though - extrapolating on how my order has moved so far I won't get my copy until 2014 at the earliest. meeple

John Tamplin, the one-man marketing and processing engine of Deep Thought Games, LLC, has just started a new job after an fairly protracted job search. I'd expect the queuing time to return to the usual 7-11 months soon. He has, by the way, enlisted Scott Peterson of All-Aboard Games to share production and shipping duties, so it might go even faster than that. But Scott can't process the incoming orders, so he's been on hold, too, while John moves to a new job.

If anyone has any interest in any of the games John offers, I strongly encourage you to make an order. You don't have to pay until he's ready to manufacture your game(s), and even better, if you decide at that point that you don't want them, you can cancel your order, so that it cost you nothing to wait in the queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

We can play with you at the Gathering next year if you want. Joe Rushanan and I taught Larry Levy (a 3-player game with one newbie,) and it took 2 hours flat. Even better, Larry won in a very close game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
TtR isn't a train game. It's a set collection game with a pasted on train theme mostly due to the train pieces.

I think it's more than a set collection game, because you have a network connection game going on as well. Furthermore, network connection is a clearly train-linked mechanism, so I don't agree that the theme is unrelated to the game play.

I will concede that it's not a strongly trainy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
1825 Unit 2 and the other two units are the shortest good 18XX I know about since it's faster than 1846, 18TN and all the single state 18XX games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.