Hide
8 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Game of Thrones Diplomacy variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike D
msg tools
I'm pretty new here, but wanted to share a project some friends of mine have been working on. We play weekly game nights and got tired of the same Diplomacy map, so decided to translate the Game of Thrones Westeros map.

Here is the full map:

The variant is for six players, and it is based on the setup leading into Robert's Rebellion (prior to the start of the series). I follows all of the same rules as Diplomacy with Armies and Fleets as the only unit types.

The game is only six players to keep the board less cluttered and focus on major houses from Robert's Rebellion (not to mention it's hard enough to get that many players to actually show up).

Starting forces are:

House Stark (The North): A Winterfell, F White Harbor, F Cape Kraken

House Arryn (The Vale): A Bloody Gate, A Eyrie, F Gulltown

House Targaryen (The Crownlands): A Castlelands, A King's Landing, F Dragonstone

House Baratheon (The Stormlands): A Summerhall, A Rainwood, F Storm's End

House Tyrell (The Reach): A Highgarden, A High Hill, F Oldtown

House Lannister (The Westerlands): A Lannisport, A Goldentooth, F Casterly Rock

All names and maps came from a lot of research using A Wiki of Ice and Fire (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page) and the Game of Thrones Wiki (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki). Tear's map was also incredibly useful (http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/posts/google_earth/Westeros...)

We've playtested with friends a couple of times (I've lost track of which version this is), but we've done all we can and are eager to get feedback from other gamers!

PS - Tip of my hat to Kyle K's version a few months ago. Only found out about it today and was very impressed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Hansen
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea!!

Correct me if I’m wrong on any of these numbers: 35 centers total
Centers within 2 movements:
Stark 5 (and 3 of those are all accessed by the same fleet)
Baratheon 7
Tyrell 7
Aryyn 8 (I assume the Three Sisters is not accessible by land, ie A at Eyrie)
Targaryen 9
Lannister 9

Home Centers vulnerable to enemy in first two movements:
Stark 0
Baratheon 1
Tyrell 1
Lannister 1
Aryyn 2
Targaryen 2

1) Stark is far too weak to my eye.
While Stark has no threat to begin with, he also has little growth potential, especially if you look at his secondary build points (Greyjoy Isles and The Twins). He cannot even get to Braavos.
It would appear that the Aryyns can simply march Bloody Gate to The Trident, and The Eyrie to Mountains of the Moon (fleet can go multiple ways).
Then The Trident supports Mountains into The Twins and Stark is pinned.
Unlikely Lannister will march to Tumblestone to even think about helping Stark.

2) Aryyn/Targaryen alliance looks strong
With the above pin of Stark, Targaryen can move west/south into Stony Sept/Northern Reach. If both agree to build armies, there isn’t much threat of betrayal with the Maidenpool buffer zone, which can be defended against and can be seen coming by anyone breaking the truce.

3) Lannister looks the most fun to play.
While he’s likely only to get two builds, depending on if he can barter into Northern Reach or such, once he has those two builds he can go any of a number of directions!

Without having played though, you can take these observations with a grain of salt...

Hopefully I’ll get to try it someday, but then again, the 2nd Edition Game of Thrones is still new!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Very nice map.

Anyone interested in a Westeros version of Kingmaker? Would need a similar board, but with more complexity large towns & castles rather than supply centres, and heraldic shields to mark the homes of the various houses. A much more fluid game which I think could work very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
msg tools
You got it! It's 18 centers to win.

We actually used to have Stark as four starting units (The Neck as a starting supply depot), but they were far too overpowering. The issue is that there is no good way of getting around their forces, and any attack on them really just bottlenecks. Even with only three units, we found that if Arryns don't have a strong alliance with someone, the North has a really easy time of invading that area. However, I take your point about getting pinned. Any suggestions? One person suggested to me that we divide Winterfell into two supply depots, and adding another army...

Also, last time we played, Arryns mopped up by taking the riverlands early and holding strong with an alliance between them and Targaryens (as you predicted). Targaryens took the burnt of most of the battle against Baratheon, though, and didn't fare as well as the game went on. However, if Arryn doesn't have an alliance with someone, they fall really fast to the North.

As for Lannister, I definitely agree that it's been fun to play! It is really easy to re-divert your forces to go in any direction (or even spread them out), and is surprisingly easy to defend. However, you get really crammed in if people start gunning for you (there used to be no Ashemark, just the Crag, and there was almost nowhere to maneuver)! Also, Northern Reach = hardest supply center to hold (it changed hands 5 times last time we played!).

My two cents, I'd say the strongest alliance is an early Lannister/Targaryen (mopping up the Reach), or a lasting Tully/Baratheon.

I'm really eager to hear how it goes if you do get a chance to play! Feel free to show my map around and let me know if anyone thinks of any other good changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Hansen
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dark_hermes wrote:
We actually used to have Stark as four starting units (The Neck as a starting supply depot), but they were far too overpowering. The issue is that there is no good way of getting around their forces, and any attack on them really just bottlenecks. Even with only three units, we found that if Arryns don't have a strong alliance with someone, the North has a really easy time of invading that area. However, I take your point about getting pinned. Any suggestions? One person suggested to me that we divide Winterfell into two supply depots, and adding another army...
Again, haven't even tried the map, so just theorizing on what I could say to others as well as possible moves...

First, let's assume that Stark takes Three Sisters and Harlaw.
Aryyn takes The Twins, The Trident and Braavos, as Targaryen has agreed to try to take Riverrun, Stony Sept and Pentos.
Without substantial risk by other houses (Lannister missing out on The Crag, Baratheon invading Targaryen), that's 3 pretty easy/sure builds for those two.

Stark pretty much MUST build a fleet in White Harbor and an army in Winterfell. Now his western flank is vulnerable if Lannister builds a fleet... If Stark builds a fleet on Cape Kraken, then he'll be weak in the center or east.

Against two new Aryyn armies and a fleet...(Aryyn could even go two fleets, but I would argue that will make Targaryen nervous, plus not needed)
The fleets have no issues getting to The Fingers, Braavos to Shivering Sea. Armies could march: The Twins - Seagard, The Trident - The Twins, The Eyrie - Mountains of the Moon, Bloody Gate - The Trident or some similar arrangement that guarantees a second army on the northern front, with enough support to counter a Targaryen thrust, and blunt any semblence of a Stark attack.
As the Stark fleets can only get one into Widow's Approach (and moving to Heart's Home doesn't really seem helpful), they now have NO offensive capability whatsoever.

If I were Lannister, I would agree to try and take Harlaw, to cause a reduction, which would then result in The Neck falling (if it doesn't already with 3 possible armies across, Stark needs the western fleet to cut Seagard support)

And the Stark counter-arguments telling Baratheon to push north will be compelling, but Targaryen is already preparing for that, and has 6 units (plus Targ should insist on getting the build from Harrenhal) to blunt the attack. Even Tyrell support would be slow in developing. I'm not sure Lannister could be convinced by Stark, not when soon they'd grab two centers, and have no northern enemy (as no one could build fleets against them in the north after Stark is crushed).

So my suggestion would be in some way, allow Stark the ability to focus on one theater, perhaps giving Winterfell the ability of both an East Coast and West Coast, to be a fleet...
That way he could put three ships in the east against Aryyn, if that's the push, while White Harbor can still protect The Neck.
Or alternatively, if Aryyn goes south/less pressure, they can build two fleets to pressure Lannister (which otherwise, they have no way of doing 2-2).
The other option would be to move/reallign The Neck/The Twins in some way to allow for another build center (perhaps taking away one of the Riverlands) that keeps the Starks only building 2 to start with, but the potential for another. Right now, I don't see how they get a 3rd build?

Just opinions, I'm no Diplomacy expert.
But I see a lot more options with all the various borders and neighbors in the south. The North just looks too limiting. Reminiscent of Turkey, to be sure, but IMO, Turkey can make it's builds go one way if he chooses.

Cheers,
Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
I agree that my map IS pretty awesome, although bloated.

Stark starting with cape kraken seems weird, though I can see why you'd want to push them down into the middle more. You turned Stark into boat lovers, despite how they had no boats at the time.

I didnt see that storms end connects to broken arm, so you may want to show it more, if not just get rid of shipbreaker bay

I worry about greyjoy land. If red gets it early, I dont see anyone else taking it from them.

Assuming your islands are water regions that armys cant march to (which makes the most sense to me), three sisters will always go to stark. This should make stark win the northeast sea area pretty easy.

I worry the conflict between some adjacent players is greater than others, so that some will be infighting while other more isolated players will take the middle. lanisport and highgarden. kingslanding and summerhall. crownlands and bloody gate. Seems like targarian is the loser here.

edit: oh, and themewise, Westeros people wouldnt even try to occupy a merchant city during civil war. they rest would gang up on you. Thats like USA trying to annex Canada during the civil war. but I can see that you wanted to give them some extra supply points. I would do it in a way that keeps everything on westeros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody wants to play a version on this by forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S
msg tools
5 years later...

Any additional reviews of this? I only have one Diplomacy game under my belt and the other players would likley be new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.