Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombie Cops rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McHugh
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I picked up Zombies!!! 2nd edition in an online sale, and a group of friends played it, and really enjoyed the game. We ran out of zombies toward the end, and had to 'recycle' zombies (that is, take zombies from map tiles where we all agreed not to go).

While looking for some cheap additional zombie substitutes I found little plastic cop figures in a local Dollar Store. It got me thinking of the latest Resident Evil video game (which is not very good) where some of the zombie cops have bullet-proof vests.

So here's my variant idea: Zombie Cops go in any large building with at least 6 spaces, one per building. The Police station is reverse, with there being 5 zombie cops and 1 regular zombie. Movement and placing are the same, except that the only way for a Zombie Cop to enter the game is through a building (i.e. existing zombie cops can be moved via a card, but they can't be additional zombie cops placed on the board via a card).

During combat a player rolls both dice. The blue dice determines if the cop was wearing armor when it turned. 3 or less, no armor. 4 or better armor. If the cop is wearing armor the red dice gets a -1 penalty. Only the red die is re-rolled in combat. Subsequent encounters with zombie cops re-roll both dice at the start of each new encounter. Defeated Zombie Cops are worth 2 zombies for purposes of victory conditions (admittedly, this is partially because the cop figures are twice the size of the normal zombie figures).

What do you think? Is the risk/reward assessment correct? Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Seems like a fun variant. Thanks for sharing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, sounds cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McHugh
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks! I'm going to melt the Cop figurines to make them look a bit more zombiefied (I already removed some limbs).

Thinking about it, I may also double the bullets in the Police station, since it could get resource intensive. I haven't played the game enough to know if this would unbalance the game if a player had an equipped weapon. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea. I love hearing people's house rules for this game because it's so open ended and easy to modify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.