Popular Tags: [View All]
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which announcement would you prefere were BattleLore revived?
Undead Legion: Skeletons and Frights Exapansion Pack
Scaled Battalion: Lizardmen Expansion Pack
Elvish Battalion: Wood Elves Expansion Pack
Creature Pack II: Elementals and Avatars
Battle for the Underdark: Undeground Map and Terrain Expansion
      151 answers
Poll created by PKDuke
O.K.,
Let's pretend BattleLore is brought out of corporate mothballs and revived whole-heartedly. Which of the following announcements would you prefer?(or add your own with a reply)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More medieval scenarios, e.g., Wars of the Roses, Italian Wars, feudal, crusades, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This survey is excellent - very imaginative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for the Elves but could just as easily go with the undead. Both would be fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Βραδύπους Ένα
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
This survey is excellent - very imaginative.

Indeed!!!! Hope someone from FFG will read it......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a campaign system introduced and possibly have CTA reworked with all of the expansions in mind for balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
More medieval scenarios, e.g., Wars of the Roses, Italian Wars, feudal, crusades, etc.

This!

Then, elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
I voted for the Elves but could just as easily go with the undead. Both would be fantastic!

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Because I'm curious (and this is to others that have expressed similar sentiments), what would your reaction be to a Scottish Wars-like product in this vein- mixing the fantastic into real-world history. Specifically, I was talking in a blog post here on BGG the other day about an Italian Wars thing, folding in Undead armies (in the same way Dwarves were used in place of Scots in that product). I'm looking at less of an 'evil' undead force and more of a practical/science-based one.

I've done a bit of thinking and research along these lines already- I was just looking through wikipedia at famous battles of the 13/1400s, making note of the Italian ones, and thinking how the undead could be injected into them. Fun stuff. I also have a kind of strange idea going for a fantastic/elemental/demon sort of idea, based more in Asia and/or Poland. It's complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see a re-work of the leaders, injecting something like they did with the Battles of Westeros into Battlelore. Maybe even going so far as to bring new decks that do away with the LCR aspect and focus more on field commanders, rallying, orders, and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They need to develop some castle siege rules. That's what would bring this game into greatness.

Additional factions or units wouldn't add much to the gameplay in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
I'd really like to see a re-work of the leaders, injecting something like they did with the Battles of Westeros into Battlelore. Maybe even going so far as to bring new decks that do away with the LCR aspect and focus more on field commanders, rallying, orders, and such.

While I understand the merits of that system, I think BattleLore is a Command & Colors game at its core and I wouldn't want that to change. I have always felt that the Lore element allows you to overcome command card issues if you play wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
They need to develop some castle siege rules. That's what would bring this game into greatness.

Additional factions or units wouldn't add much to the gameplay in my opinion.

This. I believe that BL fans have been stuck with the same "more races" idea for far too long IMHO. This system goes WAY beyond just a few new packs with new minis with a new +1 dice here and ignore 1 flag there.

There is no point in starting to release new races people. The expansions needed to get the new races up to par with the others and/or the cost to get a whole new race in a single box is also prohibitive and to tell you the truth there is NO NEED to have a new race.

I would much prefer it if FFG released the rest of the Lore cards that Richard Borg has mentioned that Days of Wonder cut off from the base game. I'd prefer to see Siege rules, I'd prefer to see a new campaign system that uses all those neat ideas that appeared in the Heroes expansion.

We don't need new races, we need more gameplay options in order to take advantage of the HUGE potential of this game.
A new race is surely better than nothing but I don't think that BattleLore deserves another round of crappy expansions with new figures. We've already been there.

Expand upon the leaders, maybe transfer the morale track from Battles of Westeros {just about the only thing that I actually like about that game}, new Lore cards, Siege rules, new terrain options, new objective ideas and/or connected scenarios like in Memoir, new Command deck and/or customizable Command deck etc.

There is so much potential in this game and a new race will just be a waste of time and resources in my opinion.
Is adding a few new dice modifiers attached to some new mini sculptures enough for you to feel satisfied after all this time?
BL deserves and can do much much more if it is going to be resurrected.

Unfortunately FFG seems to care more about that Westeros game which is NOT Battlelore no matter how many times they are going to write it on every box. I just hope that they do a 2nd edition of BattleLore and start from there with new gameplay options while providing upgrade boxes for the owners of the 1st edition. Do that and I will be happy. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

Unfortunately FFG seems to care more about that Westeros game which is NOT Battlelore no matter how many times they are going to write it on every box. I just hope that they do a 2nd edition of BattleLore and start from there with new gameplay options while providing upgrade boxes for the owners of the 1st edition. Do that and I will be happy. meeple

Amen!
....and if they're not going to do it, get off their butts, and sell the franchise to someone who will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that will not happen, but AMEN here as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COLOSSUS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them all I say! While we're at it we'll take;

1)Werewolves
2)Minotaurs and Centaurs
3)Giant creatures of all kinds(Scorpions and Basilisks come to mind
4)Griffons and Chimeras

I could go on and on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

I would much prefer it if FFG released the rest of the Lore cards that Richard Borg has mentioned that Days of Wonder cut off from the base game. I'd prefer to see Siege rules, I'd prefer to see a new campaign system that uses all those neat ideas that appeared in the Heroes expansion.

We don't need new races, we need more gameplay options in order to take advantage of the HUGE potential of this game.
A new race is surely better than nothing but I don't think that BattleLore deserves another round of crappy expansions with new figures. We've already been there.

Agreed Bowmangr - now if someone would just listen, or better yet, take action.

For a game that doesn't get much attention from it's publisher maybe they would realize it is still popular. THIS seems to show (tier 5) that there's a decent fan base around here at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Agreed Bowmangr - now if someone would just listen, or better yet, take action.

For a game that doesn't get much attention from it's publisher maybe they would realize it is still popular. THIS seems to show (tier 5) that there's a decent fan base around here at least.

I have seen many game developers and publishers make their presence known on the BGG forums. Is there any evidence that the FFG people ever come here?(if no, very dissapointing for a premier boardgame company)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off topic... but that whole Battle of Westeros deal still makes my blood pressure go up.

High five for Bowmangr. He nailed every item on the head. Thanks for the post. Nice to see some passionate Battlelore fans out there still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:

High five for Bowmangr. He nailed every item on the head.

+1
We need campaign rules for the heroes and to integrate all the expansions, and a good system to set up terrain for Call to Arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thinking of no more races assumes that any new races would be only slight alterations of existing units. Why limit them to that.

Why can't we introduce racial heroes and new races that come with race specific lore cards and new mechanics that would delineate the races even further and really give them a way of playing more uniquely.

These things could be included with campaign rules and new boards.

The popularity of the Game of Thrones TV show as well as the books and FFGs passion for the series has seen them run with BoW. Battlelore has been left behind.

Recently they announced that the most recent Tannhauser figure announced will be the last for the foreseeable future. Actually voicing this (while disappointing news), at least gave everyone an idea of where the game stood. The lack of direction or concrete news on Battlelore is just frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
The thinking of no more races assumes that any new races would be only slight alterations of existing units. Why limit them to that.

Why can't we introduce racial heroes and new races that come with race specific lore cards and new mechanics that would delineate the races even further and really give them a way of playing more uniquely.

These things could be included with campaign rules and new boards.

This is my feelings, too. Yeah, a new army that existed solely of new, slight modfiers to existing units and armies would be pretty disappointing, and would have a lot of work to do to make it equivalent to the existing armies. On the other hand, an army that forced you to manage a set of resources to deploy (like Lore-powered for an undead or demonic army) would radically change the dynamic of the game.

Similarly, each Hero class already has his own skill deck, which leads the way for race-specific hero decks.

Siege rules might be nice, if what you're actually talking about is assaulting a fortress or other structure- actual sieges were boring, drawn-out affairs from what I can tell, and not interesting at all. To implement a castle assault properly, though, you'd need a whole new micro-scale map- I don't think the normal C&C rules and battelore map would work too well with the castle being just a few spaces on the board. Have any of the other C&C games done this? How did it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
They did post concrete news: too costly to reproduce and it seems that hasn't changed.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1122

What bothers me is if they ever do reproduce BL what will become of their 'vision' not aligning with Borg's vision.

Reading this, it's pretty clear the Battlelore line as envisioned by DoW is dead, and anything new (beyond what DoW already had in the pipe) is just wishful thinking.

The most telling line for me was:
Quote:
We acquired BattleLore to be our core brand for medieval tactical warfare games (in the scale represented in the classic BattleLore game). The BattleLore name is not necessarily tied to Richard’s “Command and Colors” system.

They just wanted the name. There it is.

Extremely unfortunate, but that's what they're saying. I just hope we can one day see what Borg had in mind for it. Ideally this would be through "community content", but I doubt this will happen without some sort of financial incentive for him to do so. I do that know I'd be willing to pay for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
red black wrote:
They did post concrete news: too costly to reproduce and it seems that hasn't changed.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1122

What bothers me is if they ever do reproduce BL what will become of their 'vision' not aligning with Borg's vision.

Reading this, it's pretty clear the Battlelore line as envisioned by DoW is dead, and anything new (beyond what DoW already had in the pipe) is just wishful thinking.

The most telling line for me was:
Quote:
We acquired BattleLore to be our core brand for medieval tactical warfare games (in the scale represented in the classic BattleLore game). The BattleLore name is not necessarily tied to Richard’s “Command and Colors” system.

They just wanted the name. There it is.

Extremely unfortunate, but that's what they're saying. I just hope we can one day see what Borg had in mind for it. Ideally this would be through "community content", but I doubt this will happen without some sort of financial incentive for him to do so. I do that know I'd be willing to pay for it!

Has anyone suggested Kickstarter to Richard Borg? It might stimulate some action if he becomes aware Steve Jackson recently cleared nearly $1Million in funds to produce a new edition of Ogre. Maybe, Kickstarter will become the way to go, as those who want it pay up front, and the designer doesn't worry about losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, undead minis break easily. Elves it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.