Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
So, my seven year old daughter wants a board game similar to minecraft which she plays on the computer. "Are there any games where you have to build a house before night or else you die?" This is specifically what she is looking for.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker has a race against time / impending doom feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
A Manly Beard
badge
Instagram @bryanbfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Galaxy Trucker. There really aren't many games that combine the elements of building things and survival like Minecraft does. Galaxy Trucker might be the exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put forth Pandemic. The outbreak track, player deck, and infection track all act as timers that you have to fight against. The outbreak track is easily forecastable, so the feeling of "impending doom" is much stronger here than in something with a Timer like Galaxy Trucker or Space Alert. Made even worse by the fact you have time to think about your actions, but are often helpless anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill

In this game you build a house before you die. Or at least before some monster tries to kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks a lot everyone for the recommendations. I actually have Pandemic and Forbidden Island. She likes Forbidden Island, so maybe I'll introduce Pandemic.

I don't know if she could be the betrayal person on House of the Hill if she has to read that. She's only 7 after all.

I will look into Galaxy Trucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is nothing that stops you from just superceding the text and becoming the betrayer. Loosen up the rules a bit and make it into a bit of a role playing game.

Or better yet, just read the rules to her. It's not like you are playing to beat her, are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Schafer
United States
Stoughton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really interested in Mondo
It uses a 'grab and place tiles mechanism' similar to Galaxy Trucker to achieve a certain goal..
Short games, theme looks great.
I haven't played it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Okay. I will have a closer look at the house game. I don't play to beat her, no. I just play for fun....

Mondo is interesting, but I think she likes the building, death thing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? Has that creepers feeling

Zombie in my Pocket is actually a better choice. Has the time limit to get the artifact to the graveyard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids do minecraft as well. I'm amazed at their patience as they (and their friends) build these huge structures/worlds.

If your trying to reduce the screen time for your daughter (a good goal in my opinion), why not try actual Legos. Minecraft is basically a virtual (and unlimited) set of Legos.

Also, whatever you do don't get the "Lego" vs "Legos" debate started again! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
No, there aren't. And if it exist, it isn't Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
For straight up building, it's hard to beat Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. Nobody gets eaten, though you shouldn't have much trouble drafting an acceptable variant under the circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday. Get off the island or die trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
A Manly Beard
badge
Instagram @bryanbfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a game like Minecraft out there, it's definitely not Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:
For straight up building, it's hard to beat Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. Nobody gets eaten, though you shouldn't have much trouble drafting an acceptable variant under the circumstances.

Well, one person gets eaten...... by the crocs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like you're looking for a game that has a building mechanism and some scoring/turns that punishes you for not having an optimize building/system.

if so then +1 to galaxy trucker

Dungeon Lords have you build dungeons with monsters and traps in order to survive the onslaught of the heroes. However it's quite a heavy Euro.

Dragon Valley also has onslaughts of monsters that you have to defend against by building up your towers and stuff, but through a "you split I choose" mechanic. There's also an exploration element to the game whereby you can go out with your troops and beat some lairs for extra points.

Agricola maybe? You ARE building a farm, and there IS a sense of having to build a food engine or else you're people will starve. (okay that's a stretch)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola and Dungeon Lords seem a bit heavy for a 7 year old......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
TedW wrote:

yeah, I bought Le Havre to play with my older daughter. The 7 year old can play it but does not do well. It's very frustrating for her.

I don't know anything about Dungeon Lords, but I think Agricola is out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:
TedW wrote:

yeah, I bought Le Havre to play with my older daughter. The 7 year old can play it but does not do well. It's very frustrating for her.

I don't know anything about Dungeon Lords, but I think Agricola is out....

Forget Dungeon Lords - its much more heavy than Agricola or Le Havre. But I do think that the family version of Agricola could be a try. I dont think she will be that good, but I could imagine she would like the theme a lot.

But my advice for you is not to search a game for your daughter, based on the "mechanic". (Building sth. up in limited time) - yes I know this isnt realy a mechanic, but what I want to say is, let her choose a game cause of the theme!
Dungeon Crawling?
World rescuing?
Farming?
Science Fiction?
Monsters beating each other? (I look at you, King of Tokyo )
Horror/Zombies?
Some more abstract?
Survival Game?
Realistic themed?
Comic themed?

I guess she wont like the best mechanically fitting game to Minecraft, if the theme/design doesnt appeal to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
A building game with two phases, one where you primarily build up (and perhaps take some small risks), then one where you use what you've built to hopefully survive/resist asset destruction. I like it. But I don't know of any!

Well, there's maybe Comuni, which has periodic barbarian invasion between the building phases. But I got turned off from Comuni by a bad rulebook and poor card design (something I didn't have time for when checking out an avalanche of new games at Essen in 2008).

I think this is an idea aspiring game designers should play with. Day and night, business cycles, golden ages to dark ages, preparation for alien invasion etc. Strange that it is so common in computer games, but so rare in boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Now that I think of it, the abstract game designer Cameron Browne played around with this a good deal some years ago. The tile laying game Trugo has a vague tidal theme, with a growing phase where you add pieces and a shrinking phase where you remove them.

http://www.cameronius.com/games/trugo/

But, it's a very obscure game and by my count only 20-30 rounds were ever played on pbmserv. Either he wasn't happy with it or they found some flaw in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
A building game with two phases, one where you primarily build up (and perhaps take some small risks), then one where you use what you've built to hopefully survive/resist asset destruction. I like it. But I don't know of any!

As already mentioned, Dungeon Lords is such a game.
But much too heavy for a seven year old

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Angry Birds? I believe that there is a beanbag version of this where one of you builds the structure and the other knocks it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:
So, my seven year old daughter wants a board game similar to minecraft which she plays on the computer. "Are there any games where you have to build a house before night or else you die?" This is specifically what she is looking for.

Thanks

For myself, I think this game would be a better match for what Minecraft is:

Super Motherload

I also think Caverna would be a good approximation also. You get the idea of expanding and transforming the environment, which is part of Minecraft. People did mention Galaxy Trucker, which does fit also, if the idea of building before doom happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.