Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Turns out that I won't get roborally. I will get it here in my local FLGS because

1. it won't be good to store a big box in my carry-on/luggage
2. the price of the game won't be within my budget

However, I do think if I want to buy a boardgame, but a small one, it would be Ingenious Challenge and Qwirkle Cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A card game might be a good idea too, those are usually relatively cheap and small enough to easily pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Roborally is a really bad game for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Turns out that I won't get roborally. I will get it here in my local FLGS because

1. it won't be good to store a big box in my carry-on/luggage
2. the price of the game won't be within my budget

However, I do think if I want to buy a boardgame, but a small one, it would be Ingenious Challenge and Qwirkle Cubes

Why don't you carry it in your normal, checked-in, luggage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
You should still stop by The Compleat Strategist, if only to marvel at the ridiculous volume of games they carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the price of a game does not fit my budget it is an automatic DO NOT BUY! No matter if it can fit in my luggage or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
utcarver wrote:
You should still stop by The Compleat Strategist, if only to marvel at the ridiculous volume of games they carry.

oh yeah I will do that

but don't you think that if I gone to the store to look, wouldn't I be tempted to buy one of their games even if it's a game that I never heard of and it's not on my list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Epee wrote:
I think Roborally is a really bad game for solo play.

Are you sure? you don't think I can't control other players robots and program their cards without even looking at which one I place? the setting up the cards will be in random. I won't know whether the robot is going to turn left, right and into a trap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play the Resistence when I travel with whatever number of my multiple personalities are around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pick the cards randomly for the other robots they will most likely not get very far and probably just end up going round in circles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Green Angel wrote:
If you pick the cards randomly for the other robots they will most likely not get very far and probably just end up going round in circles!

Really I imagine that I would progress in the game by advancing the other robots across the board but I didn't imagine that they will end up where they started...Okay so I know that there will be cards that will say "Turn Left".....CARD 2; "Turn Right".....CARD 3; Turn Right"....CARD 4; "Turn Right" CARD 5: "Move 2"

and I am aware that they will move in a much slower pace but I will take the chance and go around in circles untill I land on a conveyor belt or other obsticals and deal with the consequences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really I imagine that I would progress in the game by advancing the other robots across the board but I didn't imagine that they will end up where they started...Okay so I know that there will be cards that will say "Turn Left".....CARD 2; "Turn Right".....CARD 3; Turn Right"....CARD 4; "Turn Right" CARD 5: "Move 2"

and I am aware that they will move in a much slower pace but I will take the chance and go around in circles untill I land on a conveyor belt or other obsticals and deal with the consequences

I love RoboRally, but this sounds excruciating. RR only really shines when you have 4+ players, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:

It's hard enough to make progress in RoboRally when you're actually trying to play the right cards. Random cards will invariably send robots the wrong direction, falling into pits, or running off the board.

The fun of the game is when you have a bunch of robots all running around in the same general area so they push each other off track and totally screw up their plans. Having four robots randomly roaming around the board just sounds like an exercise in tedium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't usually end up where they started, but over time they don't tend to get very far away.

I know this to be true, because we frequently play a variant where we start Twonky on the flag that the majority of players are trying to reach, point him in the general direction of those players, and give him random cards. He tends to just sort of wander around in the area of the flag unless he happens to stumble on an express conveyor and somehow manage to stay on it. He also tends to die a lot, which in the case of the variant is good (because all it does is put him back on the flag, where he can cause maximum interference) but in the case of solo play would just be meh (because it would generally return him to the starting point where nobody cares what he's doing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
dedbob wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

It's hard enough to make progress in RoboRally when you're actually trying to play the right cards. Random cards will invariably send robots the wrong direction, falling into pits, or running off the board.

The fun of the game is when you have a bunch of robots all running around in the same general area so they push each other off track and totally screw up their plans. Having four robots randomly roaming around the board just sounds like an exercise in tedium.

So, I guess I should take this into consideration and not buy the game

great this is the second game that will be taken off my list due to lack of a solo mode to the game, the first being Dungeon Run. I already recieved word from a comment by a BGG user that Dungeon Run has its flaws when playing solo. Now my hopes of buying a new boardgame is crushed, there is a dead endcry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Isaac, I know it's disappointing to not get a game you were excited for, but it's a good thing to figure out that a game is not for you before you buy it. Now you can save money and when you find a new game that is a good match for you, you will have the money saved to buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are plenty of games that *can* be played solo with some tweaking, but why not look for games that have solo play built right in?

I see you don't have your collection listed so I can't tell what you already own, but why not look into games like Pandemic, Arkham Horror, the D&D Adventure System Games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt), Mage Knight, Defenders of the Realm, or Elder Sign? There are even some deckbuilders that have official solo variants that work pretty well like Thunderstone or Ascension. Or a pretty good solo card game if you like the Lord of the Rings: LotR Card Game.

Those are just some quick suggestions based on games I own and play semi-frequently (except for Mage Knight - I don't have that one).

Luce wrote:
but it's a good thing to figure out that a game is not for you before you buy it.

Luce makes a a great point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I know the TSA and Israeli airport secuirty suck, but I mean, ... suck it up, man.

You can do it! Get that game back to your house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, there are some fantastic games out there that cater superbly for solo play, either by design or by variant.

My favourite is Mage Knight.

However also look up Friday whilst you're in the States - it is solo play only, small, and light
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
DarkTori wrote:
If the price of a game does not fit my budget it is an automatic DO NOT BUY! No matter if it can fit in my luggage or not.

If the price of a game does not fit my budget it is an automatic INCREASE MY BUDGET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I know there are plenty of games that *can* be played solo with some tweaking, but why not look for games that have solo play built right in?

I see you don't have your collection listed so I can't tell what you already own, but why not look into games like Pandemic, Arkham Horror, the D&D Adventure System Games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt), Mage Knight, Defenders of the Realm, or Elder Sign? There are even some deckbuilders that have official solo variants that work pretty well like Thunderstone or Ascension. Or a pretty good solo card game if you like the Lord of the Rings: LotR Card Game.

Those are just some quick suggestions based on games I own and play semi-frequently (except for Mage Knight - I don't have that one).

Luce wrote:
but it's a good thing to figure out that a game is not for you before you buy it.

Luce makes a a great point!

I have Pademic
D&D boardgames are intended to be too large and bulky
I have Ascension as an iOP for iphone/ipod and I can barely know how to play
I don't really like card games, without having a board there is no really being imagitive to the game's enviornment on the board. I like games with a board because it gives a structure/setting and a background to the story.

Should I give CCG's a try?

What are some of good card games that can be played solo besides the ones you mentioned? I will be gladly to pick up lord of the rings the card game. You know what I also like that I saw in my local FLGS? World of Warcraft, the card game. I wonder if it has a solo varient to it. I know that you have to have two sets of decks to play WoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you plan to play by yourself, give Friday a try. The box is smaller than a Big Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I thought US games cost an arm and a leg in most other countries?

How much was OGLS + international vs. MSRP in US + shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Hmm. I thought US games cost an arm and a leg in most other countries?

How much was OGLS + international vs. MSRP in US + shipping?

Isaac is visiting the US soon, which is why he's able to pick up some games in the US while he's on holiday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.