9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for a mechanic to "buy" the end of a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a vague game idea in mind, but I'm having trouble figuring out a good way for the game to end.

So far I haven't come up with anything workable. OTOH I haven't played every game on BGG, seen every mechanic, nor come up with every possible idea I'd really appreciate some input.

The game context (very brief):
Players will generate "game-gold", and the winner will be whoever has the most at the end of the game. The game context itself would allow players to generate more and more gold forever though :s

I'd like to find a way for players to "buy" the right to end the game, in such a way that it's an in-game competition of sorts (see below). Unfortunately everything I've come up with so far nets out to "own x% of the gold".

Background and objectives:
I've been playing a card game called "Glory to Rome" which has some characteristics I really like
A. Each play is reasonably fast, so if you lose you just play again
B. The game "speeds up" as it's played - if someone gets well ahead, they will probably end it very fast

Objectives related to ending "my" game (I might need to add more later):
* Decisive completion: A fast and definite finish if someone gets well ahead
* Pacing: if someone chooses a fast start strategy and everyone else plays for the long haul, the fast starter can "buy" a quick win
* Self-balancing (up to a point): Other players can "gang up" on the leader to block their ending the game

Optional:
* Position on the "completion fuse" could affect the pace of the game (think "how much gold different "engines" can generate").
---- There's an obvious risk of "feedback effects" with this, so details have to be "off topic". On the other hand, a known mechanic with this kind of "side-effect" would be a good candidate solution

NB: I left out the underlying game context on purpose. IMO "a game that can generate piles of game-gold" is enough for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
A few games have a scoring track where you pay for each step along it.

That money could go out of the game, instead of back into the supplyif you like ...

Not sure it would work exactly like that in your case, but it might ...

And then you have a certain score to be the end-trigger.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting idea. What about if the "win amount" increases like inflation throughout the game. An early lead would necessitate a near perfect play to end the game while the long haul strategy would be more open to all players, but still require some shrewd tactics to get enough to end it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@Strickhouser

Yes - that's the kind of effect I'm looking for. There will be different choices available for generating "gamegold", some fast-start but with less long-term, some vice-versa. This happens sometimes as a side effect of existing games, and I think it can lead to interesting play.

I think have a way to handle the "inflation" of gamegold without ruining the underlying engine. I originally thought it would be simple to make a bidding system for the "completion fuse", but every attempt so far has turned out to be a way for the richest player(s) to impoverish the poorest.

This is not good, because I also want (and think I have) a way for someone who's behind to choose a different path to victory than generating cash. Think of it as guns vs butter

Unfortunately if I hand the richest player a way to bankrupt the poorest, the changes needed to make this second path work make the game impractically complicated.

OTOH I've never played a "bidding" game, or even seen one played. It seems to be a standard game type, which suggests there might be pieces of a solution to this out there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are working two problems at once.
End game trigger.
Catch up mechanic.

To keep the richest player from just stomping everyone else, you are saying you want a catch up mechanic for the poorer players. A couple good ways are in game taxes and disadvantages for being ahead like Power Grid and Belfort, and or random elements like dice or card draws. Random elements can serve as a way to level the playing field. The downside of randomness though is that it's random and could just as well boost the leader.

For the end game. The Sprint strategy, balancing etc. I suggest a combo of Carson City and Hansa Tuetinica. Basically players can buy VP for gold every turn, but the kicker is every turn VP get progressively more expensive and if players use money early for VP then that's less money to use to get the engine going. Sprint vs long term. The game ends when someone gets to X VP. If they successfuly Sprint there they prolly win. If they fall short then the people working long term engines prolly win. Also, the idea to increase the game ending VP number every round is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't thought about this in depth, but what if the game needed X numer of 'End Points' to be bought. Each End Point would cost more than the last. Any player can buy them, and when X is reached the game ends.

So, you get a balance between people trying to end the game and trying to build up enough gold so that when the end is reached they'll have enough to win.

Solves your 'richest player' issue a bit because the person who buys the last End Point is spending the most money on it and will be down good chunk of gold at the end of the game, so it requires careful planning.

May or may not want to have the game finish a complete loop once the End Point is bought so that everyone still gets a turn to get their last bit of gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
Haven't thought about this in depth, but what if the game needed X numer of 'End Points' to be bought. Each End Point would cost more than the last. Any player can buy them, and when X is reached the game ends.

This has the benefit that if multiple players want the end of the game, they can each do it faster/cheaper. Also, by fast players buying the cheap ones early, they can end the game faster later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
You are working two problems at once.
End game trigger.
Catch up mechanic.

To keep the richest player from just stomping everyone else, you are saying you want a catch up mechanic for the poorer players. A couple good ways are in game taxes and disadvantages for being ahead like Power Grid and Belfort, and or random elements like dice or card draws. Random elements can serve as a way to level the playing field. The downside of randomness though is that it's random and could just as well boost the leader.

For the end game. The Sprint strategy, balancing etc. I suggest a combo of Carson City and Hansa Tuetinica. Basically players can buy VP for gold every turn, but the kicker is every turn VP get progressively more expensive and if players use money early for VP then that's less money to use to get the engine going. Sprint vs long term. The game ends when someone gets to X VP. If they successfuly Sprint there they prolly win. If they fall short then the people working long term engines prolly win. Also, the idea to increase the game ending VP number every round is cool.

Mephansteras wrote:

So, you get a balance between people trying to end the game and trying to build up enough gold so that when the end is reached they'll have enough to win.

Solves your 'richest player' issue a bit because the person who buys the last End Point is spending the most money on it and will be down good chunk of gold at the end of the game, so it requires careful planning.

May or may not want to have the game finish a complete loop once the End Point is bought so that everyone still gets a turn to get their last bit of gold.
Merge these two and you have a very elegant sort of mechanism for the progress of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.