Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dune» Forums » Variants

Subject: The impact of Rex's new Treachery Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercenary (x3)
- Add +3 strength to your battle value.
- Discard after use.

Tactical Retreat (x3)
- Cancel battle with no losses.
- Return your leader and units to your reserves.
- Discard after use.


Double Agent (x2)
- Play at start of Battle Phase.
- Draw 1 new card from the Traitor deck.
- OR look at 1 random Traitor card held by another player.
- Discard after use.



For the Dune experts out there, how do you think they would impact the game? I really liked the idea of the cards, specially the Mercenary.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
In more Dune games than you might think, the ability to win a battle is cut so finely that you're either one token or spice short, or you just barely have enough. So Mercenary is a strategic card, (ie, one that you always want to keep track of).

Retreat has been in use prior to Rex - it's a lower value card of lesser importance. Sort of a get out of jail free card, or allows you to bluff at an attack.

Double Agent looks minorly useful, but as traitor luck would have it, probably won't pay off in an average game. Nice theming though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GLENN239 wrote:
In more Dune games than you might think, the ability to win a battle is cut so finely that you're either one token or spice short, or you just barely have enough. So Mercenary is a strategic card, (ie, one that you always want to keep track of).

Retreat has been in use prior to Rex - it's a lower value card of lesser importance. Sort of a get out of jail free card, or allows you to bluff at an attack.

Double Agent looks minorly useful, but as traitor luck would have it, probably won't pay off in an average game. Nice theming though.


I'm thinking in incorporating them in my build... they seem pretty neat. The question is... do you think it could throw off the balance in any way?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
IMO, no.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards are pretty much the only thing I've liked about Rex over Dune. (They and the size of the board and movement rates.) I'll definitely be incorporating these cards into my set, although I'll have to consult the card distribution and deck size for Rex to see how many I think would be appropriate for Dune.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a bit of a feisty mood this morning. As a preamble, I do feel Dune could stand adding a small number of additional cards to.

endou_kenji wrote:
Mercenary (x3)
- Add +3 strength to your battle value.
- Discard after use.

OP and will kill technical wins leading to a greater preponderence of opportunistic victories. x3 is far too many. What happens when you get two in hand? Is this played on the wheel? After revealing? After setting plans, but before revealing? Can Atreides prescience it?

endou_kenji wrote:
Tactical Retreat (x3)
- Cancel battle with no losses.
- Return your leader and units to your reserves.
- Discard after use.

x3?! Because it is good for games to go on forever? Each one that Guild buys pushes the game a turn longer. Can I play it when I'm not in battle? Does it happen before or after revealing? Before or after traitors? What about lasegun-shield?

endou_kenji wrote:
Double Agent (x2)
- Play at start of Battle Phase.
- Draw 1 new card from the Traitor deck.
- OR look at 1 random Traitor card held by another player.
- Discard after use.

Some version of this should be the Harkonnen Karama power instead of the handswap (I don't mind Dune's asymmetrical balance even while at the same time thinking about fixing it.) Gives about a 3% chance of producing a random win OR a similarly low chance of avoiding a random loss. If you must have it FGS add things that improve the tactical decision-making: ergo this should be play anytime or start of Movement Round. Really this is a very minor card that some of the time will make traitors a bit less fun. It is a bad thing to shuffle traitor discards back into the draw BTW.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vonklaude wrote:
I'm in a bit of a feisty mood this morning. As a preamble, I do feel Dune could stand adding a small number of additional cards to.

endou_kenji wrote:
Mercenary (x3)
- Add +3 strength to your battle value.
- Discard after use.

OP and will kill technical wins leading to a greater preponderence of opportunistic victories. x3 is far too many. What happens when you get two in hand? Is this played on the wheel? After revealing? After setting plans, but before revealing? Can Atreides prescience it?


For what I recall from Rex, it's played instead of an attack card in the battle plan. Of course it needs to be re-themed to the Dune universe and it could be a Weapon card.

vonklaude wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
Tactical Retreat (x3)
- Cancel battle with no losses.
- Return your leader and units to your reserves.
- Discard after use.

x3?! Because it is good for games to go on forever? Each one that Guild buys pushes the game a turn longer. Can I play it when I'm not in battle? Does it happen before or after revealing? Before or after traitors? What about lasegun-shield?

I'm not sure, but I think that in Rex, this is a Defense card to be played with your Battle Plan. And if I'm playing Dune, I already admitted it's a 6h game. If it ends short, great. If not, well, it's a 6h game anyway...

vonklaude wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
Double Agent (x2)
- Play at start of Battle Phase.
- Draw 1 new card from the Traitor deck.
- OR look at 1 random Traitor card held by another player.
- Discard after use.

Some version of this should be the Harkonnen Karama power instead of the handswap (I don't mind Dune's asymmetrical balance even while at the same time thinking about fixing it.) Gives about a 3% chance of producing a random win OR a similarly low chance of avoiding a random loss. If you must have it FGS add things that improve the tactical decision-making: ergo this should be play anytime or start of Movement Round. Really this is a very minor card that some of the time will make traitors a bit less fun. It is a bad thing to shuffle traitor discards back into the draw BTW.

That's why I asked the experts over here. I only played 1 game of Rex, and found that the new cards included could be interesting in Dune.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.