Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I appreciate the time/effort that went into creating the free iOS app for Dominion.
2. I really like that we can play against other humans so easily.
3. Too many people disconnect when they are about to lose. Sucks.
4. I hope the official app comes out soon.
5. I hope the official app uses a system to handle the quitters.
6. I realize some of the disconnects might be thunderstorms, etc. but it happens way to often to always be an honest excuse.

Don't know why I went for a recipe-style list of thoughts today. (perhaps I should have made that thought my #7 laugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Dominion, on board or online, but the way that is handled on the ICC (Internet Chess Club) is that the game is automatically awarded to the other player whenever anyone drops out before a rated game is completed. The game can be continued, but if it never is then it counts as a victory to the player left standing. That is how it should be done. Is the Dominion app handled over a server sophisticated enough to keep track of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect that the official app might have isotropic like player ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
I don't play Dominion, on board or online, but the way that is handled on the ICC (Internet Chess Club) is that the game is automatically awarded to the other player whenever anyone drops out before a rated game is completed. The game can be continued, but if it never is then it counts as a victory to the player left standing. That is how it should be done. Is the Dominion app handled over a server sophisticated enough to keep track of this?

The only problem with this is if you and a friend team up and play game after game after game quitting over and over to inflate each-others win record. Because all you have to do to win is have the other person quit, you could rack up thousands of games therefore making the rankings worthless.

It's an interesting problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully it'll be like TTR where a bot comes in when someone quits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
mikeloftus wrote:
The only problem with this is if you and a friend team up and play game after game after game quitting over and over to inflate each-others win record. Because all you have to do to win is have the other person quit, you could rack up thousands of games therefore making the rankings worthless.

That's why you use a complex ranking system like Isotropic that isn't just a simple win/loss ratio. If your friend deliberately loses 500 games to you, your friend will quickly end up with an incredibly negative ranking, so you won't actually improve your own ranking by beating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official app will apparently have an AI take over if your opponent drops out:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3489.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always ways to "game" the system, but if you leave a digital paper trail, that should be sufficient enough.

E.g. Some guy who's rated highly always plays the same 2 opponents over and over again, and they appear to be coming from the same IP address.

I knew people who played Settlers/Seafarers on Sea3d who quit b/c they were in such a bad position, although rules are, u do need to stick it out. For 2p Dom, there could be an option to forfeit if the other player is drawing out his deck each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeloftus wrote:
tmredden wrote:

Okay, but it seems that you and your friend will have an equal number of losses in that case, also deflating their preposterous number of victories. Of course, if both play artificial opponents, not their real friends, who log in under fictitious names, then false accounting prevails. The system would have to be able to prevent this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
mikeloftus wrote:
tmredden wrote:

Okay, but it seems that you and your friend will have an equal number of losses in that case, also deflating their preposterous number of victories. Of course, if both play artificial opponents, not their real friends, who log in under fictitious names, then false accounting prevails. The system would have to be able to prevent this.

Maybe the system should be based on ELO ratings, if it isn't already. That way, fake accounts can't be used to inflate someone's ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion: If someone is that desperate for attention so that he PURCHASES multiple accounts (remember: we talk about the future paid online Dominion version) to push one of them up high in the ranking... let them this last bit of "happiness" in their lives as their lives must be so damn bad that they need to do stuff like this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... And if you are matched (either automatically or through personal selection of opponents) to these artificially highly rated players, they'll just get their asses handed to themselves. There's really no up-side to cheating to attain a high rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind when someone quits. I do mind if they quit by not doing anything, and I have to wait 5 minutes or so before the game asks me to force them to resign. Click the resign button, go back to the lobby, I don't care, just don't leave me hanging there waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Perry
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
hadsil wrote:
I don't mind when someone quits. I do mind if they quit by not doing anything, and I have to wait 5 minutes or so before the game asks me to force them to resign. Click the resign button, go back to the lobby, I don't care, just don't leave me hanging there waiting.

If only!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben V
msg tools
hadsil wrote:

I've had plenty of people on Isotropic slow play their last 10 hands or so trying to wear me down (especially when they are doing 10-20 part chains slow on each part)... Frustrating when you are trying to get a quick and fun game in.

Dominion is meant to be a FUN game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Knight
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Rob in Richmond wrote:
1. I appreciate the time/effort that went into creating the free iOS app for Dominion.
2. I really like that we can play against other humans so easily.
3. Too many people disconnect when they are about to lose. Sucks.
4. I hope the official app comes out soon.
5. I hope the official app uses a system to handle the quitters.
6. I realize some of the disconnects might be thunderstorms, etc. but it happens way to often to always be an honest excuse.

Don't know why I went for a recipe-style list of thoughts today. (perhaps I should have made that thought my #7 laugh)

Getting back to the specific free iOS app issue, I have found there to be a bug that froze the game from my end. When my opponent played a Militia and I was in the process of selecting the discards, my opponent apparently completed the turn. Thus, it was my turn and I still had five cards. The game was frozen and I assume my opponent thought I had quit.

I have only played the game 20-25 times and am not yet ranked. This bug has occurred twice, which seems too common. I have also had opponents quit right before losing, which I agree is highly annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.