Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

1830: Railways & Robber Barons» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions after a first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game of 1830, and none of us have ever played an 18XX game before. I suspect that we made a number of tactical "mistakes" and would probably have had our backsides handed to us by even semi expericenced player, but generally fun was had. However, a couple of things came up which seem either odd or just where we're not sure of the greater consequences of certain actions. Rather than blather, I'll list ehm so it's easier for people to respond:

1) When exactly do Private Companies not owned by a railroad generate their revenue? We assumed that they do it at the start of the operating round, before any Railroad operates, but we weren't 100% sure that this was correct.

2) With Private Companies, the rules say that you cannot lay track on or improve a hex which is the home of a Private Company if that PC is owned by a player. It wasn't 100% clear to us (and we might just be completely misreading it) but it appeared to us that this means only a railroad which owns that Private may build in that hex. Is this correct? Obviously once all the privates close, this is no longer relevant, right?

3) One tactic which was noticed fairly early was to buy unsold stock in a company which had been paying dividends steadily and was thus worth far more than Par, and then immediately sell them to the bank for a decent profit. Obviously player have to buy this stock one-at-a-time, and can't buy any more during that Stock Round once he starts selling so I guess you can see this coming, but is there anything commonly done to counter this? Or should you just accept that your stock price is probably going to take a hammering sooner or later, but at least that means your company is getting "free money" when you pay dividends? Or are we just reading this wrong: we understand that you can buy any number of shares during a stock round, but only one at a time, so other people can get in on this if they want and have the money.

4) How do people track which companies have acted in a given operating round? Because the counters move about in the stock market, it's sometimes not obvious that you have already Operated a company. Also, is there a tip for letting people see the values on the stock market on the squares which have counters on? they tend to cover the values up.

5) What exactly is the deal with upgrading track in a hex containing a company's starting station location if that company has yet to operate? Eg, can you upgrade NY before NNH floats? I seem to remember that the rule is something like "Yes, you can, but you have to leave a space so that the company can still place a station in the right place when/if it ever operates. but I couldn't find the reference when we were actually playing!

Thanks in advance,

Rich
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cunsolo
Italy
Pavia
PV
flag msg tools
1) each Private Company generate revenue at the start of EACH operating round

2) as soon as a Private Company is no longer in the hand of a player (closed or bought by a public company) its home hex(es) can be build on by any company

3) companies can (and should) be dumped devil in order to open better companies at higher par

4) these are mayfair edition's 'problems'. to keep track of 'operated' companies you can tap the price token. I put white label paper on one side of the tokens so I am able to flip tokens (almost universal trick)
I think there is nothing to do for the price value.

5) It is correct, but I can't remember the special case of the EIRE ERIE. IIRC you can't put a token on the home hex until the EIRE ERIE operates
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
Avatar
mb
RichKS wrote:
1) When exactly do Private Companies not owned by a railroad generate their revenue? We assumed that they do it at the start of the operating round, before any Railroad operates, but we weren't 100% sure that this was correct.


You are correct
RichKS wrote:

2) With Private Companies, the rules say that you cannot lay track on or improve a hex which is the home of a Private Company if that PC is owned by a player. It wasn't 100% clear to us (and we might just be completely misreading it) but it appeared to us that this means only a railroad which owns that Private may build in that hex. Is this correct? Obviously once all the privates close, this is no longer relevant, right?


Incorrect, as soon as any company owns the private the hex is available to be built on by any company

RichKS wrote:
3) One tactic which was noticed fairly early was to buy unsold stock in a company which had been paying dividends steadily and was thus worth far more than Par, and then immediately sell them to the bank for a decent profit. Obviously player have to buy this stock one-at-a-time, and can't buy any more during that Stock Round once he starts selling so I guess you can see this coming, but is there anything commonly done to counter this? Or should you just accept that your stock price is probably going to take a hammering sooner or later, but at least that means your company is getting "free money" when you pay dividends? Or are we just reading this wrong: we understand that you can buy any number of shares during a stock round, but only one at a time, so other people can get in on this if they want and have the money.


You have it right, I won't go into the reasons for countering this or how you would go about it here, there are plenty of strategy threads regarding this. It's very much dependent on the other aspects of your game as to whether this is good or bad for you and whether you want to encourage or counter it.

RichKS wrote:

4) How do people track which companies have acted in a given operating round? Because the counters move about in the stock market, it's sometimes not obvious that you have already Operated a company. Also, is there a tip for letting people see the values on the stock market on the squares which have counters on? they tend to cover the values up.


Flip the tokens over, then always place the new token in a spot on top of the stack, at the end of a set of OR, flip every stack completely over, that way they will be back in the 'correct' orientation for the new OR. I think the new version may have the counters printed double sided? If so then the only other option I can give is to move the token so it is positioned differently in the box (say move them to the top of the box on OR1, then the bottom as they operate in OR2....

RichKS wrote:

5) What exactly is the deal with upgrading track in a hex containing a company's starting station location if that company has yet to operate? Eg, can you upgrade NY before NNH floats? I seem to remember that the rule is something like "Yes, you can, but you have to leave a space so that the company can still place a station in the right place when/if it ever operates. but I couldn't find the reference when we were actually playing!


Correct, no restrictions on upgrading but you can't lay a token if it would block the company out of it's home hex. Just need to leave a space free.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Darke wrote:

RichKS wrote:

4) How do people track which companies have acted in a given operating round? Because the counters move about in the stock market, it's sometimes not obvious that you have already Operated a company. Also, is there a tip for letting people see the values on the stock market on the squares which have counters on? they tend to cover the values up.


Flip the tokens over, then always place the new token in a spot on top of the stack, at the end of a set of OR, flip every stack completely over, that way they will be back in the 'correct' orientation for the new OR. I think the new version may have the counters printed double sided? If so then the only other option I can give is to move the token so it is positioned differently in the box (say move them to the top of the box on OR1, then the bottom as they operate in OR2....


I white-outed one side of each of the stock markers so that we could use the flip method.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RichKS wrote:
it appeared to us that this means only a railroad which owns that Private may build in that hex. Is this correct?


As people have pointed out, this is not correct.

However (and this matters) when a railroad buys a private from a player, that railroad gets the first chance to build track in the hex(es) previously blocked by the private, as long as the railroad buys the private in before laying track. So, for example, if you want to be able to determine what green tile gets laid in the C&A hex, you can do so if you own C&A (if the railroad that buys the C&A is in position to lay the tile you want.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you guys don't hang around!

Thanks for the updates. We're not finding 1830 as complex (rules wise) as we had been lead to believe, but by golly, it's a deep game strategically.

Knowing the rules is not the same thing as knowing how to play.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RichKS wrote:
Knowing the rules is not the same thing as knowing how to play.


Knowing that is a big step of the way there!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.