Subject: Naval Bombardment Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Brubaker
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the bullets under V.D.2.

Does the defender announce how AE, 1/2AE, AL1 and AL2 results will be applied BEFORE the combat die roll is made?

Does assigning AE, 1/2AE or AL1 results to naval forces mean that NO attacking land forces will take losses?

What is the meaning of each result as it applies to a naval force? In other words, does an AL1 damage one BF and an AE damage all BF? Would this mean an AL2 assigned to both naval and land forces eliminates one SP and damages one BF?

V.D.2. If there is supplied Artillery present in the defending force, the defender announces whether or not he will inflict damage to any fleet that attempts bombardment as opposed to damaging the attacking land force.
- An AL1, AE or 1/2AE result must be inflicted entirely on either land or naval forces. The defender announces this now.
- An AL2 result may be split between land and naval forces or inflicted entirely on one or the other. Defender announces now.
- A die roll is made for each damaged fleet. The number rolled is the number of QUARTERS (3 months) that the unit is out of play. There is a strong chance that a fleet would never see action again in a scenario, especially in a short or medium length scenario. So discretion is recommended in using Naval Bombardment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played with this option, so I am not really sure.
It appears that the answer to your first two questions are yes.

I think an AL1 affects only one BF.
If an A2 result is split between land and naval forces, one SP is lost and one BF is damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it says in step 1., the bombardment procedure starts before combat commences. What you've written under V.D.2. is only step 2. of the three steps in the procedure (the defender has to announce before the combat die roll is made). Step 3. is rolling the bombardment dice. So the answer to question #1 is yes.

The first bullet in step 2. says "inflicted entirely on either land or naval forces" so the answer to question #2 is also yes (no land forces would take losses).

The answer to both parts in question #3 is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brubaker
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.