K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how you're tackling the issue with such an organized approach.

1. The Dungeon Command (DC) tiles have the same locking mechanism but due to the different sizes and backs, they cannot be part of the tile stack. One option is to designate a specific tile from the adventure game which when revealed, will either be replaced by or connect to a DC tile.

2. When used in this way as an objective tile, there is no need for white/black arrows and likely the Treasure squares will do fine as monster spawning and movement points. This would be similar to WoA's chamber tiles.

3. With just Lolth & Cormyr, I do not think there are enough outdoor tiles to simulate a campaign map. Also the scale would be wrong. I would prefer a card-based approach similar to what Ninjadorg did for the Barovia & Longbridge decks. Then add some cards that would require a fixed-boundary outdoor encounter to be played prior to the main adventure. It could be as simple as a battle with a group of wandering monsters or having to defeat a monster guarding the entrance.

Milarky has posted a session report under Sting of Lolth that shows how such an encounter could be run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas guys, keep em coming! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Tileset coming soon... ninja

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno if this is relevent:-

the Cavern and Dungeon tiles DO NOT fit the outdoor side of the DC tiles

they DO fit the dungeon side, this is due to a reversing mirror images thing..

try it :try and connect a tile that has the title showing to a tile that has the dungeon floor showing,

did that make sense?
DC wishlist an out-door to indoor transition tile so one side the puzzle go one one way and the the other side the oppersite,

Also for white arrow / black arrow just keep your normal stack near by and flip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) comes with 2 transition tiles, and the cut is a perfect fit for the D&D tiles:

You could use those to transition between dungeon tiles and outdoor tiles (if you want the boards to physically connect).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first gut reaction to the outdoor tiles was to not connect them anyways. They seem to have a 'cave' entrance/exit of some sort anyways. So why not just have some goal tile in the Adventure game (like the Secret Stairs or something), that when the Hero exits, he emerges onto the outdoor Dungeon Command tiles, preset kind of like a Chamber. And then the game is part exploration, part climactic battle outdoors.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Indeed, I'm very interested in all the ideas being thrown around here.

(Shall I confess it? Yes I shall. I'm slowly envisioning a way to combine Conquest of Nerath, the Adventure System games and Dungeon Command...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I envision it...

In terms of dealing with Dungeon Command's tiles, the easiest thing to do is to simply imagine dividing each of DC's tiles into 4 quadrants. (DC's "smaller" tiles can be divided into 2 quadrants).

A regular tile from the Board Games is simply 4x4, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where the dividing lines are.

------ Monster movement & tactics -------

When Monsters move to a new 'quadrant,' follow these tactics:
-Move to the Treasure space.
-Move to an Obstacle space.
-Move to a Difficult Terrain space.
-Active Hero chooses which space to place the Monster (but not in a Hazardous space).

Just like a Monster card, if it can't do the first tactic listed (because the indicated space doesn't exist or is occupied), then it tries the next one, and so on... Example: If a 'quadrant' has no Treasure space, has 2 Obstacle spaces, and has 1 Difficult Terrain space, then a Monter moving into that quadrant would be placed on either of the two Obstacle spaces.

------ Terrain Modifiers ------

Difficult Terrain: Costs 1 extra movement for a Hero to move into that space.
Obstacle: Just like Difficult Terrain, it costs 1 extra movement for a Hero to move into. Any Hero or Monster on an Obstacle space receives a +1 bonus to AC from non-adjacent attacks.
Hazardous Terrain: If a Hero or a Monster enters a Hazardous Terrain space, it takes 1 damage. I think that for each space, this effect only happens once (like the Caltrops or Blade Barrier tokens). Perhaps you can cover up a brazier that's already dealt damage with an unused item token or something.

Not sure how to handle Encounter Cards. I agree that these tiles are best used as some sort of boss fight or encounter, where exploration is no longer the focus. I like Milkary's idea of simply putting a dungeon tile stack off to the side and out of play, and flipping over a tile at the end of each Hero Phase -- drawing an encounter card each time a black arrow is revealed. Or perhaps we could put a couple of Time Tokens on the Encounter Deck, removing one at the end of each Hero Phase -- if there are no tokens left, draw an Encounter Card then replace the tokens on the top of the deck.

Good ideas all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing on some of the older map tiles from 3rd edition that are larger sized squares. What we've been doing is instead of "move one tile" for monsters, we've changed it to "move five spaces". It works nicely.

I do like your idea on these new tiles able to just be divided in half or quarters too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking along the lines of moving 5 spaces instead as well, and was toying with the idea of simply replacing all move-tile commands to move 5 spaces and seeing how that plays in a normal game.

As for the end fight,this would be a custom scenario anyways so we can dictate how it plays out in regards to Encounters. I was picturing that a Hero that moves "off" the normal board is out of the game until all Heroes move off (similar to how escaping the dungeon works in some adventures), and the you start the end-boss fight. By starting a secong "half" you can probably just so no more Encounter cards (I would suggest no more Treasure cards to balance it).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I should add I've picked up both sets today.got Cormyr scanned, will scan Lloth tomorrow and start working on a Tileset soon (also working on a Descent 2nd Ed Tileset, so time is precious).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run some of my boys through my own premade adventures using the rules pretty much as they are with the exception of the movement change (due to tile size) and often I have specific monsters, traps, etc., setup at certain points. Works well as "D&D Lite".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving 5 spaces also sounds like it would work great. Though using that system I'm curious how you'd handle things like "Attack a Monster within 2 tiles of you," or "Attack each Hero on the active Hero's tile," etc etc.

EDIT: Though I suppose you could translate those two into "Attack a Monster within 10 spaces of you, and "Attack each Hero within 5 spaces of the active Hero."

Hmmmmmm... not too shabby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. That's why I think replacing Tile with 5 Spaces could work in the base game and make it a lot more interesting at very little expense in complexity.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i did the imaginary tile 4x4 but switching to X movement,
i'd say up it from 5,
reason if a creature was on 1 tile edge, and the hero was on the next tile at the oppersite edge,

Standard rule would let the creature attack,
5 moves means he out of range if melee,
Monster
x
x
x
x
x(5 squares movement)
x
Hero(laughing hero)

So bare min. 6 squares but this brings in to question corners, maybe the e 5 off sets corners :-/
but also hero's move from 5 slow, to 6 average 7 fast
I think most monster move faster then dwarves..

I need to lie down brain crash.....

Edit if no hero in 6 range then monster carefully walks 5 on alert.. to fussy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Edit if no hero in 6 range then monster carefully walks 5 on alert.. to fussy?

Yes. Keep it simple, this is D&D after all. If you really wanted to take time to differentiate the monsters, rather than a blatant 5 spaces, you could come up with a "1 tile speed" value (i.e. if move 1 tile, you move its speed, if 2 tiles, its speed x2, etc. But to keep it simple, just make it 1 Tile Movement = 5 spaces. You can still probably keep the Move Adjacent movement.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Moving 5 spaces also sounds like it would work great. Though using that system I'm curious how you'd handle things like "Attack a Monster within 2 tiles of you," or "Attack each Hero on the active Hero's tile," etc etc.

EDIT: Though I suppose you could translate those two into "Attack a Monster within 10 spaces of you, and "Attack each Hero within 5 spaces of the active Hero."

Hmmmmmm... not too shabby.

Yes, that is exactly how we do it. "Within 2 tiles" becomes "Within 10 squares".

This also lets you have some larger battles on the paper battle maps from WOTC too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles in Zpocalypse also use the same locking edge and the graphics look fairly usable for fantasy games. Those graveyard tiles would look great in CR. Looks like the DDAS tiles are becoming industry standard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a quick scale note... indoor and outdoor were different scales back in 1st edition D&D... never was a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fiddling with Cormyr Allies vs. Lolth Monsters and the gameplay was... boring. Not surprisingly, all the creatures do is move forward to the opponents and start attacking.

* You need to have the spawn points change to make things "interesting". Otherwise, the monsters move in a predictable beeline towards the heroes.

* Treat 1 tile as 4 spaces. Spaces are more intuitive. If you divide some tiles into quadrants, some quadrant spaces are no longer connected.

* Other than outdoor scenarios or to fit the d*rn tiles on my desk, I don't see why the AS tiles have to be replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
For the encounter card issue you might consider creating a deck of cards for the large rooms tiles. These could be events that happen during the big fight similar to boss fights and cut scenes in a video game or movie.

Some examples:

Reinforcements - The villain spawns a minor minion character on one of the tiles (eg. - an ogre with a bunch of orc minions spawns another orc.)

Coordinated assault - The heroes launch a combined strike on the villain. Each player attacking the villain gains +1 hit. This bonus increases for the next hero attacking up to a maximum of +4 (+1, +2, +3, +4). The bonus ends the moment a hero misses or attacks another target

Environmental Damage - a small avalanche happens because of the titanic struggle. Maybe a fire breaks out - can it spread? Perhaps a piece of the environment can be used a weapon. If it's outside maybe the weather changes/ what effect would fog or rain have on the encounter?

Complications - A band of villagers show up or a third party arrives (Drow slavers?) What effect would that have on combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I could work on these Event cards if people like the idea.

A simpler approach might be to combine the two games. Perhaps an adventure that wraps up with a climatic fight using the Dungeon Command system?

Example - Instead of fighting the Strahd villain card it's a climatic struggle between the townsfolk (Corymr set) fighting the Undead Hordes in Dungeon Command? The fight begins when Strahd's tile is found in the current adventure. The reward for winning might be some draws from the treasure deck, some XP points for leveling up, and the opportunity to continue using your adventure system characters in the campaign.

Or perhaps if the heroes fail in their villain showdown with Strahd the town falls deeper under Strahd's influence. Now the heroes must recruit from surrounding provinces to fight a Dungeon Command battle against Strahd's forces. Their success in recruiting could determine each side's starting forces. Magic items collected by the heroes during the campaign could confer additional benefits for the hero side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
Perhaps this is a silly concept, apologies if so.

I own the Dungeon tiles outdoor master set. Obviously, these tiles are not compatible with DC or AS games. However, for a strictly OUTDOORS adventure, how could these be used in an AS context? If possible, this could introduce a LOT of new terrain to battle upon. Even if only the 8x8 tiles are used, could offer some new tactical depth. Battle for control of a bridge or other vital piece of terrain? Perhaps this might be better suited to a DC game than AS, but seems there are some possibilities here.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Anderson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Autoduelist wrote:
Or perhaps if the heroes fail in their villain showdown with Strahd the town falls deeper under Strahd's influence. Now the heroes must recruit from surrounding provinces to fight a Dungeon Command battle against Strahd's forces. Their success in recruiting could determine each side's starting forces. Magic items collected by the heroes during the campaign could confer additional benefits for the hero side.

You make it sound like pokemon or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Daum
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Oh, and I should add I've picked up both sets today.got Cormyr scanned, will scan Lloth tomorrow and start working on a Tileset soon (also working on a Descent 2nd Ed Tileset, so time is precious).

-shnar

Did you ever happen to complete the Dungeon Command Tile Set?

I was thinking about using cards to define monster spawns and traps as is being done over here https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/127624/tile-cards-cr-woa-... and thought this would probably work pretty well for the dungeon command tiles as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.