Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumors started to fly around the office, that layoff's are coming.

I think it is because there is a fear in everyone's minds due to the recent news coverage of the huge $$ loss this company endured..

I'm sure you can put two and two together here and figure out where I work

If you do, and you know something, please tell me

Otherwise, I'm shrugging it off to simple paranoia

Gotta love rumors and how easily they spread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time on my night shift, We heard some ridiculous rumour that the company was going to cancel the cleaning staff's contract in order to save money. So they wouldn't be vaccuming our office.. It was absurd, and nothing ever came of it, like we all knew it would.

About 2 months later, someone on the afternoon shift came up to me and said "did you hear that they're cancelling the vaccuming to save money?"

I laughed, it took 2 months for that rumour to continue it's life and circulate it's way around to this lady who then said it back to me. It was pathetic. And the fact that she took it so seriously and was so concerned about it just added to the patheticness (is that a word?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
patheticness (is that a word?)

Pathos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
One time on my night shift, We heard some ridiculous rumour that the company was going to cancel the cleaning staff's contract in order to save money. So they wouldn't be vaccuming our office.. It was absurd, and nothing ever came of it, like we all knew it would.

About 2 months later, someone on the afternoon shift came up to me and said "did you hear that they're cancelling the vaccuming to save money?"

I laughed, it took 2 months for that rumour to continue it's life and circulate it's way around to this lady who then said it back to me. It was pathetic. And the fact that she took it so seriously and was so concerned about it just added to the patheticness (is that a word?)

Not so incredible. My wife works in a school and they only have their classrooms vacuumed ONCE A WEEK now. and that I would assume get a lot more dirty than your offices. She has the kids pick up the big chunks at the end of every day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Djcheddar wrote:
It's okay, I called Jamie Dimon and told him personally to let you keep your job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Djcheddar wrote:

isn't a phone company by any chance....?

Nope.

fightcitymayor wrote:
Djcheddar wrote:
It's okay, I called Jamie Dimon and told him personally to let you keep your job.

I have no clue who you are talking about.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Djcheddar wrote:
Rumors started to fly around the office, that layoff's are coming.

I think it is because there is a fear in everyone's minds due to the recent news coverage of the huge $$ loss this company endured..

Otherwise, I'm shrugging it off to simple paranoia

Gotta love rumors and how easily they spread

I know nothing about your employment situation, but while you're paying attention to this thread, I'd like to compliment you on your avatar. You have fine taste in music, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that only the "fingernail clippers" are on the chopping block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:

I know nothing about your employment situation, but while you're paying attention to this thread, I'd like to compliment you on your avatar. You have fine taste in music, my friend.

Yeah, they have been my favorite since 97 ? I just saw them actually the other day

Also got to sit at the table next to Barrett himself at Hooters. It was pretty awesome

matthew.marquand wrote:
I heard that only the "fingernail clippers" are on the chopping block.

Would be the best news I have heard all day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

Not so incredible. My wife works in a school and they only have their classrooms vacuumed ONCE A WEEK now. and that I would assume get a lot more dirty than your offices. She has the kids pick up the big chunks at the end of every day...

I have never been fortunate enough to work somewhere where the cleaning staff actually vacuums, much less on a regular basis. And it doesn't matter whether they are in-house or out-sourced, commercial cleaning companies--that I have experienced--barely do any cleaning at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may, or may not, work at the same place as you. However, I would not worry about it. I understand that a whale may have lost a lot of money, but there was still a lot more money to be had from the other fish in the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:

Have you seen the news lately?

There are a lot of companies losing huge amounts of money lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, gotta love the epic 'moment' when your department's manager's manager's manager calls for everyone to come to a meeting at 1pm

just gotta wait the half hour and deal with the other team members flipping out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Did your company start in a one-car garage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

I have never been fortunate enough to work somewhere where the cleaning staff actually vacuums, much less on a regular basis. And it doesn't matter whether they are in-house or out-sourced, commercial cleaning companies--that I have experienced--barely do any cleaning at all.
I wish our cleaning crew only vacuumed once a week. I can't get up to go to the bathroom without tripping over this one gal. That is if I can go to the bathroom as it seems to be shut for cleaning approximately 3 hours of my working day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we are all still here

Funny how the meeting of 'nobody is losing their jobs, so calm down' still doesn't calm people down. I mean i know it is a typical thing to have companies tell ya something one day and then another the next, but have some friggin positivity. At least while ya still have a job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:

Funny how the meeting of 'nobody is losing their jobs, so calm down' still doesn't calm people down. I mean i know it is a typical thing to have companies tell ya something one day and then another the next, but have some friggin positivity. At least while ya still have a job!

Hey, I was a contractor at a company in 2000 in the datacenter. They had meetings telling everyone that no one was going to lose their jobs. A couple of weeks later, some termination notices went out. I wasn't one of them, but I did have my employer find another client for me to work at.

In 2003, I worked at the Bank One Polaris building (also as a contractor). When Chase "merged" with Bank One, they also had various meetings as to what was going on with employment. One week, no one was losing jobs, the next week they would say contractors were going to be cut, and then another time they were going to reduce administrative staff. Nothing ever seemed to happen, but eventually a number of contractors did get the chop but most departments didn't want to lose them.

A friend of my mom's works at a rubber factory. She had been told last year they were going to be laid off and were moving the equipment to another state. They did lay off a number of people, but not her. They did move the equipment.

However, they quickly learned that the equipment was too hard to learn and the company was losing money because they couldn't keep up productivity. They brought the equipment back and she's still working, but awfully long hours because they are still understaffed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

I wish our cleaning crew only vacuumed once a week. I can't get up to go to the bathroom without tripping over this one gal. That is if I can go to the bathroom as it seems to be shut for cleaning approximately 3 hours of my working day.

Sounds like where I work. Maybe it's a tech corridor thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first people that I fired when my company lost its millions were the layabouts who spent all their spare time on the internet fretting about the possibility of losing their jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
A friend of my mom's works at a rubber factory. She had been told last year they were going to be laid off and were moving the equipment to another state. They did lay off a number of people, but not her. They did move the equipment.

However, they quickly learned that the equipment was too hard to learn and the company was losing money because they couldn't keep up productivity. They brought the equipment back and she's still working, but awfully long hours because they are still understaffed.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll bounce back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Coase wrote:
mileser wrote:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll bounce back.

jimbrax wrote:
that's a stretch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Djcheddar wrote:

They should have gotten my dad's sister to relocate the factory. Everyone knows about the a(u)nt that moved the rubber tree plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spock had nothing to do with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is clearly not over yet regardless. The wave continues. Teams in other areas are disappearing, moving, etc..

Some are getting a 45 day warning to find another job, others being given 2 weeks severence for every year worked.

ohhh the glorious mortgage business...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.