Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Deck Building Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Smith
msg tools
I am currently doing Undergraduate Research on Card Analysis and Design: Deck Building Games, and also new to the BGG community. After scouring the forums for nearly two hours, I was unable to find the answer to my questions.

Could someone explain, with detail, the differences between a DBG 1.0, DBG 1.5, and DBG 2.0? I understand that Dominion was the first of its kind and started the industry of DBG, but have seen people refer to games like Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Thunderstone as a DBG 1.5 and I would like a more clear explanation of what that entails.

Thanks ahead of time to all those with hasty and productive responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
msg tools
I believe the 1.5 and 2.0 ideals come from taking the original Dominion concept (mainly the communal card pool), and adding another element to it. That makes sense to me in regards to 1.5, but 2.0 has me oblivious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i believe it has to do more with what you do with the deck as you build it

to generalize greatly -

Dominion is a deck builder where the purpose of getting cards is to get more cards

games like Ascension and Thunderstone, the purpose of getting cards has a secondary use - to defeat a component (i.e. monsters) providing a 2nd stream of victory points, in effect.

in these games you do something with the cards beyond simply having them

DBC 2.0 style games which i suppose i'd loosely maybe lump in Core Worlds and Eminent Domain, the deck building is part of a richer game experience where getting cards allows for different streams of strategy and allows the player to shift from one strategy to another as required

in these games you do something with the cards beyond simply having them and are able to adapt what you do as the game progresses

again gross generalizing here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.