Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Carnduff
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,
Could someone explain to me how you find opponents and then actually play a boardgame with them using VASSAL? Do you PBEM with it, or does the app itself update when your opponent has completed their turn? Do you have a hardcopy of the game on your table you update with your opponents turns? Can I use VASSAL on my iPhone? How long does it usually take to play this way?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schindler
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No on the iPhone.

You can play the game , which you have the module for, live over the vassal server.
You create what is called a log file for playing PBEM.

Write me at my mail address on BBG and I will explain in more detail, should you want the help. We may be able to use Skype to help you though it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrc007 wrote:
Could someone explain to me how you find opponents and then actually play a boardgame with them using VASSAL? Do you PBEM with it, or does the app itself update when your opponent has completed their turn? Do you have a hardcopy of the game on your table you update with your opponents turns? Can I use VASSAL on my iPhone? How long does it usually take to play this way?

Find opponents by posting in the game forum here on BGG for the game you'd like to play. For wargames, there's a VASSAL Wargamers group on Facebook that sees quite a bit of action. Consimworld is another venue, or the Opponents Wanted forum on the VASSAL site itself.

VASSAL supports PBEM or live real-time play. For the former, you and your opponent(s) send logs of your moves back and forth, maybe by email or by saving to some internet storage, e.g. Dropbox. For live play, you connect online, synchronize to each other, then you see what the other person is doing as it happens. There's no need to keep a hard copy of the game on your table--VASSAL is how you update the map, pieces, and game state.

VASSAL cannot be used on the iPhone at this time. Mobile devices will be targeted in the next major release (VASSAL 4).

Play length is entirely dependent on the game being played and the speed with which you and your opponent(s) make their moves. For a lot of PBEM games, one move a day is a common goal you'll see cited (though that's much too slow for me in most cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two files, one ending in .vlog the other in .vsav. Which is which? Which one do I use for PBEM? Why are there two? Their contents appear similar when examined with 7zip. Do I need both? Which one do I share using Dropbox with my PBEM partners?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
felipe1982 wrote:
I have two files, one ending in .vlog the other in .vsav. Which is which? Which one do I use for PBEM? Why are there two? Their contents appear similar when examined with 7zip. Do I need both? Which one do I share using Dropbox with my PBEM partners?

Thanks!

Felipe,

The .vlog file is the most important one, since it is a recording of everything you do during the move. It allows you to replay all the movements, card selection, etc that occur during a game turn.

The .vsav file is a "snapshot" of the game at any particular point in time. Usually the .vsav file is created at the end of the move and used as the starting point for the next move by your opponent.

So both are needed for VASSAL PBeM play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Tchoup wrote:
tallracer333 wrote:
Usually the .vsav file is created at the end of the move and used as the starting point for the next move by your opponent.

So both are needed for VASSAL PBeM play.

A .vsav file is not needed for PBEM play. Just trade the log file. At the end of the log, start a new log. The program asks you if you want to save the game but you do not need to at all. As long as you have the logs in sequence, you're good.

While not needed, providing a .vsav at the end of each .vlog allows a player to view the file, go away and then later come back to do his turn without having to step through the .vlog again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrc007 wrote:
Hello,
Thanks!

To find VASSAL opponents Geeklist (note is a monthly thing): December VASSAL Opponent Geeklist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
While not needed, providing a .vsav at the end of each .vlog allows a player to view the file, go away and then later come back to do his turn without having to step through the .vlog again.

Correct. It is a courtesy to your opponent, but not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Tchoup wrote:
tallracer333 wrote:
SewerStarFish wrote:

Correct. It is a courtesy to your opponent, but not required.

Who knew?! I've played via Vassal for years and have never ever regularly traded a vsav file beyond the initial set-up.

I guess it depends on the game. If the .vlog is long, and you're playing PBEM, then for me a .vsav is surely appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.