5 Posts

Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Always problems with Sea Beggars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Werner G. Elb
Germany
flag msg tools
In our Wendesday game group we began playing Virgin Queen, an exciting game which I even prefer to "Here I stand".

As the Spain gamer I surely have problems with the Sea Beggars. Unfortunately I have these with the rules herefore too.robot The English/Protestant gamer (we play a 3 persons game) plays the Sea beggars card in the 1st turn before there was a Protestant Revolution. He got his regular and two galleons because he attacks Flushing.

To my understanding of the rules this does not automatically trigger war because it is not a rebellion. Therefore can I not attack those Protestant units even they enter my spaces? Can I only declare war next
Diplomatic phase? Or must I wait until a Protestant Revolution?

English is not my native language therefore execuse any errors.

Werner G. Elb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. He gets control of the space but your diplomatic status does not change (that is, you are not at war) you cannot attack. You may DOW the Protestant at the start of the turn if you wish by paying 1cp. You might be smarter just to wait for him to rebel, though!

Now here's anothher question: if they're not at war, can the Protestant target Spain with the free piracy action from Sea Beggars? Normally you can't target someone for piracy unless you're at war (or you're a corsair). The text of the card is ambiguous, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:
Now here's another question: if they're not at war, can the Protestant target Spain with the free piracy action from Sea Beggars? Normally you can't target someone for piracy unless you're at war (or you're a corsair). The text of the card is ambiguous, I think.

The restriction that you must be at war with the targeted power in a Europe Map piracy attempt (if you're not the Ottoman using corsairs) is found in step 1 of the procedure. The card tells you to skip to step 5, so it seems clear enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, piracy is allowed in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner G. Elb
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for the informations. I feared the the Sea Baggars invasion does not trgger a war but I am glad we played this situation right.

Werner G. Elb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.