Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: party [+] 8+ [+] group [+] [View All]
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of August, I'll be heading down the shore (NJ) to share a house with 3 other families. A total of 8 adults, and 9kids (between 3y and 8y). I am quite good friends with 2 of the other couples, and more of "acquaintance" with the 4th couple. I want to bring a few board games for the adults to play and am looking for some recommendations.

This is NOT a gamer group (I'm the only "geek"), so I am looking for light/very approachable games, able to be played by 4-8adults, and gametime no longer that 60min. (30 even better). My wife plays games, so next to me, she's the only other "gamer".

I know I'll be bringing Apples to Apples, as that is always goofy fun, and I know they are familiar with it. I'll probably bring Ticket to Ride or Forbidden Island or Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Infinite City , as options for less than 6 players and to help expand their horizons.

But...as for a good "party" game, the only one I have is Apples to Apples, so I am thinking of picking up a new game to add to the collection, and bring down with us.

I've narrowed the list to the following (my thoughts on each included):

Cards Against Humanity : could be a great fun, especially after a few "beverages", and I pretty sure the "ludeness" would be perfectly acceptable, but $50 is more than I'd like to spend.

Dixit: Odyssey : been interested in for a while. Could be easy to get a group into i think. There are some good storytellers in the group.

The Resistance : not sure how the sci-fi aspect would fit. Maybe too "geeky" for the ladies?

or maybe

The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow : more approachable theme than The Resistance, but if you need a minimum of 8, that won't work if 1 or 2 people don't feel like playing when the rest do.

Telestrations : only fun for a short time, then get old quick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
You may be better off using your own materials for Telestrations (a.k.a. Eat Poop You Cat). Using your own pans and paper lets you make more detailed drawings than the little dry-erase boards supplied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Run. Run now. And buy The Resistance. Mark my words: It will be an unforgettable weekend.

Also consider Word on the Street.
Dixit Odyssey is a good idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get The Resistance. The Sci-Fi theme doesn't matter (we always play we are The Resistance against WalMart) and everyone will have a blast with it. Works well for both sexes.

Bang is another game you might want to consider. Goes up to 8 I believe and provides for funny interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our serious gaming group does the same thing every year at the 1000 Islands. Last year we brought The Resistance and it didn't go over well. However, what we do is this: we all send a list of the games we are going to bring to one person who puts them into a spreadsheet and sends the chart to the rest of us. We all then vote on a scale of 1-5 which games we most want to play. This lets us know which games people most want to play, whether duplicate games may be brought, and where gaps may exist. We plan on between 40-50 games being brought, though not all will be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're fixin' to head down to the beach (Panama City, FL) for annual beach trip with one of my old college buds & his family. Apart from those times when we're on the beach, the games we've had good success with (usually 5 to 11 folks at any given time) in the past have been:

Dixit: Odyssey (along with a couple of expansions)
The Resistance
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
Catch Phrase! (the electronic edition)
Reverse Charades
Click Clack Lumberjack
BANG!
Citadels
Wings of War: Famous Aces (along with an expansion or two)
Telestrations
Mexican Train (the wives seem to really love this one)
Diamant (aka Unnamed Object)
Scene It? Movie
Say Anything
6 Nimmt! (aka Category 5/Slide 5)
Tsuro
For Sale
Wizard (nice trick-taking card game for up to 6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Long Shot

This and 6 Nimmt! have been my most successful large group games among non-gamers as both games keep everyone involved the during the entire game. You can get Long Shot for less than $20 shipped from Tanga right now: http://www.tanga.com/deals/ccf3e0839c/long-shot-the-board-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:

Cards Against Humanity : could be a great fun, especially after a few "beverages", and I pretty sure the "ludeness" would be perfectly acceptable, but $50 is more than I'd like to spend.

It SHOULD be only $25, but they must have sold out again. Send them a message and see when the next shipment will arrive. Well worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
A really cool game for 2 to 6 people, simple to learn, and just plain fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Last year we brought The Resistance and it didn't go over well.

Do you mind me asking what happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send the kids off to a baby-sitter and play "KEY PARTY".
Best adult party game in existance.devil
It's a good way to get to know the other couples a whole lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupBANG! The Bullet!
thumbsupBohnanza
thumbsupDixit
thumbsupExcape
thumbsupFor Sale
thumbsupUnnamed Object
thumbsupMord im Arosa
thumbsupNuns on the Run
thumbsupPick Picknic
thumbsupPow Wow
thumbsupThe Resistance
thumbsupSaboteur
thumbsupWord on the Street

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With non-gamers, I'd recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue. It's simple, plays quickly with no down time for any player. The best part is that all of the players are fire fighters working together to rescue the people, the system plays the fire.

So you're all winners together, no compititon, it's OK that some are more into it or more skilled than others....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason William
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium WOW

Reverse Charades

Bubble Talk

Liar's Dice

Wits & Wagers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'll get in touch with some from the group and see if I can get a feel for what people would be intersted in.

My one real good friend/coworker is a tough nut to crack, and in general finds "board games" silly...and when I brought some of the suggestions to him his typical response was "what's the point of that?". When I described Ca$h 'n Gun$, he was initially interesting, but then wasn't when he realized there was not real money involved. And yet, he did think that Eat Poop You Cat could be fun and said he loves Scrabble.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Cards Against Humanity (if price drops in time) or Dixit: Odyssey. I haven't given up on The Resistance as I think that could be a viable option for down the road as well, for more controlled gamenights at home (not the craziness that usually comes with vacation).

I'll keep my eyes open for Say Anything on a good sale and I actually think one of the couples coming has Things... which is a good one too.

Thanks again all....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hornung
United States
Mission
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
We're fixin' to head down to the beach (Panama City, FL) for annual beach trip with one of my old college buds & his family. Apart from those times when we're on the beach, the games we've had good success with (usually 5 to 11 folks at any given time) in the past have been:

Dixit: Odyssey (along with a couple of expansions)
The Resistance
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
Catch Phrase! (the electronic edition)
Reverse Charades
Click Clack Lumberjack
BANG!
Citadels
Wings of War: Famous Aces (along with an expansion or two)
Telestrations
Mexican Train (the wives seem to really love this one)
Diamant (aka Unnamed Object)
Scene It? Movie
Say Anything
6 Nimmt! (aka Category 5/Slide 5)
Tsuro
For Sale
Wizard (nice trick-taking card game for up to 6)

This list is Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KILL DOCTOR LUCKY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhorn62 wrote:
Twister devil

Naked with olive oil.devil devil

But only after the kids have been sent to the babysitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
GiftTRAP and Things... are good options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never see it mentioned, and I don't think it's very well reviewed here on BGG, but my group always enjoys Cineplexity. If your friends are movie buffs, it may be a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu. Yes, it only seats 4...but it comes with two decks...and you might find that you might only have four folks available/willing to play at any given time anyhow. This game is a vacation godsend. Non geeks will enjoy it, and while it's not difficult to learn, it's complex enough to hold an adult's interest. The nine-year-old might also be able to jump in on it.

Finally, it's way portable, which is something I always deal with when we go to the lake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprised nobody has suggested 7 Wonders yet? That is one of only a couple games my wife will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
Tichu. Yes, it only seats 4.... The nine-year-old might also be able to jump in on it. Finally, it's way portable, which is something I always deal with when we go to the lake.

Full disclosure, I plan on bringing a few simple, quick, and portable games that the 8-9 year I think could play and would be ok for the adults too to fill some time while the little ones (and some adults) nap including Loot, Castle Keep and Treehouse.

I think I've also put The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow back on my radar after reading up on it a bit more. It only about $12 and even if the shore crowd doesn't take a liking to it, I think it'd work when visiting my inlaws when there are routinely 8-10 adults around.

As for 7 Wonders suggestion, I, personlly, would love to play that game, but i think it'd be "too much" as to intro to this particular group of people. Not that my thought of bringing Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Infinite City would be simple, but zombies are easy to grasp and IC is self explanatory as you play it.

Also, I forgot that I actually own Mexican Train, so i'll prob grab that as well.

I an already sense the "overpacking problem" rearing it's ugly head....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.