Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I'm planning to place an order in the near future and wondering if the two games are similar enough where I would need only one or both. For example, if my friends were to ask or I were to choose a fantasy, adventure, dungeon crawl type game to play, would I choose one game more frequently/all the time, than the other. I've been watching some reviews on both games and they both have a fantasy theme which includes leveling up, gaining new abilities, getting equipment and fighting monsters. I know descent have an Overlord player but as for the heroes side, it seems similar with few differences. Both games are pretty pricey therefore I don't want a game sitting on the shelf most of the time while the other gets all the play.

Thanks again in advance for all your input and help as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Descent. I will tell you the one thing I know about both games. Descent has lots of unpainted miniatures. Mage Knight has 4 (maybe 5) nicely painted miniatures. Thats all the help I can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is ideal for 1-3 players. Descent will be better 4-5 players. Descent is much more in the classic dungeon crawl type of game as where Mage Knight is more geared towards the thinking man's D&D type of game. They may be from the same coin, but they are clearly on the opposite sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Descent should be a bit easier to teach. How well does your group absorb rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Matt. I own both Mage Knight and Descent (both editions) and can say it's worth it to own both. Mage Knight is more of an epic fantasy where Descent satisfies the dungeon crawl fantasy. There is more luck in Descent due to the Die rolls for combat. I like the deck building component of Mage Knight. I can't realy say I would choose one over the other unless there were time constraints / newer players. For newer players or a shorter play time I would pick Descent. For more experienced players / longer times I would pick Mage Knight. I personally vote owning both to give the flexibility. With both I think you would have pretty good coverage of the fantasy genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not describe the games as so similar that you should avoid owning both, but people have different opinions about what kind of collection they want to build. Have you come across these threads?

This or Mage Knight?
Descent fan = Mage Knight fan?
Descent 2 or Mage Knight
Mage knight vs Decent re-release (decent 2)

I generally agree with the view that Mage Knight is a heavy Euro with an adventuring theme. If you're concerned about overlap in theme, then you might want to choose one or the other. Their actual gameplay, however, is quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although both are thematically similar, their mechanics are vastly different. In wargame terms, Mage Knight is operational while Descent 2ed is tactical IMHO. If money is not an issue then I would suggest to get both since they are excellent games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.