Subject: AAR: Part I--From France to Barbarossa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is my first attempt at an AAR, so bear with me.

My gaming buddy, Toby, and I are the only two gamers that we know of in Sherman, Texas, so we play Eurofront II in stretches of a few months, then leave it alone for a few months, then pick it up again. With the release of the Ver. 1.15 rules, we decided it was time to play again. We've been strategy game competitors since we discovered Axis & Allies when we were kids 25 years ago. We progressed to Europe Aflame, then Europe Engulfed, and finally discovered Eurofront. Needless to say, we've been hooked ever since. As a personal disclosure, I will say that Toby is far better than I am at Eurofront and most of our games end with me resigning in 1942 when my situation, whichever side I'm playing, is clearly hopeless.

On this particular session, it is my turn to play the Germans. We skipped the 1939 scenario and began with the 1940 scenario on the eve of the invasion of the low countries. The original setup looked like this:

As you can see the Germans concentrated north of the Maginot line ready to blitz across Holland and Belgium. The attack commenced in the second fortnight of May with the Germans completely overrunning Holland. Belgium chose to defend the hex southwest of Brussels instead of in the Ardennes which prevented the Germans from completely encircling Brussels. However, the fort at Liege was defeated and the static protecting its rear fell in the blitz phase. Brussels was invested and thanks to some good shooting, the Belgian division holding the city was hit 7 times, almost eliminating it and securing Brussels for the Germans. The lone French infantry unit holding Phillipville was also destroyed and 4 German divisions roared into north France, engaging more French defenders east of Paris. The situation at the end of the German turn:

The allies poured units into Brussels and into the battle east of Paris, inflicting heavy casualties on the two German divisions holding the line. The British counter-attacked into the hex southwest of Brussels in an effort to solidify their lines and hold back the German onslaught. As May ended, the front looked like this:

During the first fortnight of June, with the Allies heavily engaged in Battles B and C, the Germans struck west from Phillipville, gambling that the four divisions defending the line northeast of Paris would contain at least one headquarters unit. The gamble paid off and with a blitz the Germans were able to take Cambre and were staring across the river into a lightly defended Paris:

The Allies stubbornly refused to offer armistice and began pulling units out of Brussels and Battles B and C to throw up a new defensive line from Paris northwest to the English Channel. The lone Belgian defender in Brussels fell during the second fortnight and France was demoralized. The Germans pushed further west, completely occupying Belgium, routed the remaining defenders in Battle B, then engaged English defenders in Lille and northwest of Paris. The Allied forces in Battle C continued to resist fiercely, and that portion of the Allied line remained stable.

The Allies then abandoned Lille, running out to the coast with their mechanized unit. As July opened, Italy, satisfied that the Germans had done the heavy lifting, entered the war and promptly did nothing, deploying their forces and simply waiting for the inevitable collapse of the French.

The Allies continued to survive the mounting German onslaught during July, but as the month drew to a close, the defenders east of Paris were finally worn down, panzers pushed on to the English Chanel, and a Paris was able to survive thanks to a lone rail line south of the city.

During the first fortnight of August, the Germans fully encircled the starving Paris defenders, engaging the city sufficiently to kill enough troops such that the rest would starve quickly and in the middle of August the battle for France was over. The remains of the French government offered armistice at this point and with the Germans ill prepared to beat the English into French North Africa, the Germans reluctantly accepted and Vichy France was formed.

At this point the Germans began moving their forces slowly but surely into French ports and eastward towards Poland. The Med. Front opened and the two sides, ill equipped for battle, simply stayed put and built their forces with the supplies that trickled in from Europe. In March the Axis declared war on Yugoslavia and with the quick help of their new allies in Bulgaria, Yugoslavia was cut off and defeated. The Germans dispatched their Baltic task force to the borders of Greece and piled the rest of their forces in Poland, waiting for the first sign of good weather to strike eastward into Russia.

Germany declared war on Greece in April, 1941, steadily using their small task force to push the Greeks down the peninsula towards Athens. The first fortnight of May saw mud in the East and the hungry steel legions of Germany, fully fueled and fully manned, waited impatiently for the order to move. The sun shone through as the second fortnight began and the word to proceed came down from Berlin. As this AAR draws to a close, the armies of Hitler and Stalin find themselves on the precipice of conflict that will see slaughter ruin the territories of eastern Poland and Mother Russia littered with burned out equipment and torn men.

In our next AAR, the battle for the fate of Europe begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb

Great report! Thanks for the work in doing this!

The photos are a little small, any chance you could edit to insert 'medium' after the image ID.

eg: ImageID=1370905 medium

It will appear as:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Edited. Thanks for telling me how to do that. The small pics were bothering me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant stuff. I played Eurofront II last year, after building a table especially for the game! We met on a weekly basis. We started in 1939, and played through until (I think) 1941.

Absolutely fantastic stuff, and worth the intense effort & dedication.

I must think about giving it another go this year.

Thanks for the AAR, and as said above, do keep it coming.

Looking forward to the next report.

Marty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.