Subject: One Location Type Left! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this has been covered in a older rules thread, please indulge me, because it wasn't given a clear enough answer (for me).

If there is only ONE flower spot left on the entire map and I have THREE houses to be placed, am I required to place only ONE house and skip the other TWO house placements OR am I to draw a new card because I am required to place a minimum of THREE houses on any given turn?

Sorry if this seems crystal clear to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: See the responses below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
k0w0k wrote:
Yes this has been covered in a older rules thread, please indulge me, because it wasn't given a clear enough answer (for me).

If there is only ONE flower spot left on the entire map and I have THREE houses to be placed, am I required to place only ONE house and skip the other TWO house placements OR am I to draw a new card because I am required to place a minimum of THREE houses on any given turn?

In this case, I think you would do as much as you can.

So if you choose to use your card so you're supposed to place 3 houses but are only able to do at most 1, then you would only place 1.

And then after placing 1, you'd draw a new terrain card for your next 2 houses though. See this post that quotes the rules

Re: Mandatory action, but only 1 terrain hex available...?

Rules page 4:
If the rare case should occur that there is no eligible hex at the beginning of a player’s turn or during their turn, i. e. there is no hex matching the type of their played terrain card on which they could build a settlement, the player draws a new terrain card immediately. The useless terrain card is removed from the game. If necessary, the player repeats drawing a new card until they draw a suitable card.

(Emphasis mine).
If you weren't supposed to draw a new terrain card for the remaining 2 houses, the rules wouldn't have said "or during their turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
k0w0k wrote:

In this case, I think you would do as much as you can.

So if you choose to use your card so you're supposed to place 3 houses but are only able to do at most 1, then you would only place 1.

And then after placing 1, you'd draw a new terrain card for your next 2 houses though. See this post that quotes the rules

Re: Mandatory action, but only 1 terrain hex available...?

Rules page 4:
If the rare case should occur that there is no eligible hex at the beginning of a player’s turn or during their turn, i. e. there is no hex matching the type of their played terrain card on which they could build a settlement, the player draws a new terrain card immediately. The useless terrain card is removed from the game. If necessary, the player repeats drawing a new card until they draw a suitable card.

(Emphasis mine).
If you weren't supposed to draw a new terrain card for the remaining 2 houses, the rules wouldn't have said "or during their turn"

Your quoting from the thread that I found to be confusing.

That interpretation doesn't seem to make since to me, no offense - of course I could be wrong on this assessment. What makes since to me is that you would do as much as you could, place the one house and ignore the other two houses. The rule you reference sounds like to me that it is referring to a situation where a person uses their Farm ability at the beginning of their turn, putting a house on the last grass hex on the board, thus creating a situation where that they can't use the Grass card in their hand, forcing them to draw a new card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
k0w0k wrote:

That interpretation doesn't seem to make since to me, no offense - of course I could be wrong on this assessment. What makes since to me is that you would do as much as you could, place the one house and ignore the other two houses. The rule you reference sounds like to me that it is referring to a situation where a person uses their Farm ability at the beginning of their turn, putting a house on the last grass hex on the board, thus creating a situation where that they can't use the Grass card in their hand, forcing them to draw a new card.

Yeah that Farm situation would apply too.
But, everything about the rules seems to point to a mandatory placement of 3 houses, at a minimum. Even to the extent that they call it "mandatory". If lack of terrain led to less than 3 in some cases, don't you think they would have mentioned that in the rules: "in some cases, you may end up placing less than 3 if you run out of terrain" would have been easy to slip in if that's what they meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
k0w0k wrote:

But, everything about the rules seems to point to a mandatory placement of 3 houses, at a minimum. Even to the extent that they call it "mandatory". If lack of terrain led to less than 3 in some cases, don't you think they would have mentioned that in the rules: "in some cases, you may end up placing less than 3 if you run out of terrain" would have been easy to slip in if that's what they meant.

Thanks guys. I read your responses at work and while driving home it started to click for my brain. You are right. I had to pull over to say thanks for the clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k0w0k wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
k0w0k wrote:

Thanks guys. I read your responses at work and while driving home it started to click for my brain. You are right. I had to pull over to say thanks for the clarity.

GG for the "had to pull over" comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
k0w0k wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
k0w0k wrote:

GG for the "had to pull over" comment

Thanks!! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.