Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Breaking News to all Fans

Hi, I am Mike Hayes. I invented the game first known as ‘The Warlord’ (red box), then as ‘Warlord’ (blue box) and then as ‘Apocalypse’ (Games Workshop).

This is to let you know that this autumn I will offer for sale 500 copies of the first edition of ‘Classic Warlord’ an even better version of my original game. The 8 part board in Classic Warlord now covers 600 regions. Improvements to the Rules drive the game along to its apocalyptic conclusion. No expense has been spared in the design of the board and the assembly of parts for this new edition of the game.
Classic Warlord intends to be the ultimate version of the 70’s classic game. As one journalist (Steven McClarence) commented after playing the game for the first time – ‘It beats the hell out of Monopoly’.

If you want to reserve a game and place an order – price will not exceed £60 (plus postage and packaging) - please contact me at m.hayes@sheffield.ac.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This shall make someone-(such with 'moi')-a most "wondrous gift" on their upcoming "WANT DAT DAY", so A-L-L y`all hurry on up and "get this!" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Copy reserved, email sent.

Am lucky enough to have played the red box version in the past. It may seldom get played but simply cannot turn down the opportunity to own a copy of a new edition.

Can then trade away my copy of the GW version to fund purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Nick West - I'd be interested in that trade!

@Mr Hayes,

I am very interested in handing my money over to you! I shall commit to ordering at least one copy, and will contact you via e-mail as requested.

I shall also share this with some of my friends and let them know the good news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Definitely interested, have mailed you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted up on behalf of the Hayes family:

'Classic Warlord' is now available for purchase. Limited edition of 500 sets available. All orders, further information and contact details are at the website: www.classicwarlord.com

UK, Europe and World P&P rates and options are available - just hover over the 'Order Now' and then click on the dropdown 'P&P' tab.

Hopefully have the rules (in PDF) available on the Files section soon too.

Update: Rules PDF is now available in the weblinks, as is an interview with the designer, Mike Hayes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't be a doofus like me and just hit that easy to spot "Buy" button on the front page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Yeah, don't be a doofus like me and just hit that easy to spot "Buy" button on the front page...

Gee, I did the same thing. Why would they have a "Buy Now" button?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers chaps. No Doofus awards necessary

Their website is certainly improving as more information is added to it.

'Buy Now' button now live with P&P Drop down selection. I believe the 'How To Play' page will have more added to it soon as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

Read the rules online and I am interested in one notable absence from the set you have on the website - no mention of what (if anything) happens upon capture of an opponents missile?

In at least one version they lost stage(s) upon capture - was retaining this considered for the Classic version? If not why not?

Just interested in the design philosophy here. Our exepience was that capture of missiles was too powerful and thus I expected some rule to be present in your classic version.

Any comment?

Still probably going to reinvest in the new version but welcome some debate here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Given that you must fire missiles at the start of your turn before capturing, I would have thought the fact they can be captured intact made for a lot of key decisions around where you place your missile. Yes you can place it near the front lines but it is likely to spend several turns being captured back and forth before someone holds onto it long enough to get the key in the ignition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy has arrived - hope to post up some pictures later.

As well as two copies of the rules, there's also a FAQ booklet of 24 pages too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dear Nick, At the start of your turn, you can choose to fire off any of the missiles that you possess. When you have finished doing that, you go on to adding extra armies to the board and moving and attacking. If during that process, you capture a missile, it is your missile BUT... you cannot fire it off until the start of your next turn (you always start off your turn getting your missile-firing done).

With Classic Warlord, you get a 23 page Questions and Answers booklet to clarify such queries (it has been assembled from 100s of past players who I'd like to thank). Your query is expanded in the answer to Q65 on p16.
However, I don't want to make it sound too formidable to start playing Classic Warlord. Experienced games players get the basic hang of it in 5 minutes or so and only delve into the Q+A booklet if they want to screw a presumptious too successful opponent.

Yours Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dear Phil,

That is a good strategic comment on the potentially seesawing ownership of missiles. Some players make a foray into highly lucrative regions, dump a few 1-range missiles on them and get the hell out of there. Remaining players with a vested interest in that rich area then spend a lot of fruitless time trying to grab those missiles and hold on to them.

Yours Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dear Tim,

Excellent news on the UK delivery situation. Get back to me by email or via this site concerning anything about your early experiences when playing the game.

Yours Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to comment Mike.

I see where you are coming from re leaving captured missiles and the use of 1 stager's to hold lucrative regions "to ransom" which I can see would be negated if captured missiles lost stage(s) upon capture.

Order going in.

Out of interest what was the "captured missile stage reduction" rule I vaguely recall and from which edition? Anybody?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dear Nick,

On "captured missile stage reduction" in old Warlord games. That was pre-Apocalypse (1980s) pre blue box Warlords (1970s)even I think pre-red box games (earlier 1970s). I will have to rummage around the attic to see if there are any yellowing old rules and variants still around. Come to think of it, the earliest Warlords (called The War Game) came in discarded cucumber boxes from Sheffield markets with all the rules on one side of yellow paper. The game developed from the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. Initially only about 20 copies were made for Philip Whitehead MP and his London media friends. Philip later excelled editing the "World at War" TV series, but this is getting off the point Nick. In the earliest games, you could capture a missile and fire it off straight away. That led to all sorts of imbalances which reducing the range of a captured missile tried to address. Eventually it was resolved by insisting that you fired off missiles at the beginning of your turn, before capturing or building up new missiles. That's working pretty well now.

Yours Mike Hayes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Mike - very interesting.

I had forgotten you could fire captured missiles straight off - remember now you mention it! Can see the logic for dropping it now you can't. Will play Classic as per the rules out of the box - sounds like it was fixed.

The fact I must have played the early version with the step reduction for captured missiles just makes me feel old! Might have been 1974/5 my first game of Warlord but cannot remember if it was red box or even the legendary cucumber box, I was war gaming in London at the time so it might have been the latter. All too long ago. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, when you get your copy let me know and we can go to the Games Hub and play it! Ian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're on Ian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I quite like the differences in the rules from the GW version. Obviously with the full 8-section board, the map area is vast! But two principle areas stand out.

First, raising extra armies is a lot slower. Even if you're lucky and have a string of mountain bases adjacent to each other, as it's only Cities, Key Regions (Red) and Rural Regions (Yellow) that get you bonus armies, the mountain fortresses don't 'earn' for your mini empires. But each mini empire does get a free army raied for each.

Second, forget the GW 'nicety' that your inactive armies can clean up a radioactive zone, that isn't an option at all in these rules. And I get the impression that this is a return to one of the basic tenets of the game from when Mike Hayes first designed it.

I guess given time, players could cherrypick what aspects they like from what particular edition of this classic. There is potentially a considerable vein of variants that could be mined from this game and that will be interesting to see in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hayes,

quick question. Do H-Bombs go off in chain reactions as well?

(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny from Tower wrote:
(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes....)

Yes.

I hope you find that pleasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the game (as it were), but it seems you still have copies left on your site.

Looking forward to getting my copy!!!

spike1 wrote:
Breaking News to all Fans

Hi, I am Mike Hayes. I invented the game first known as ‘The Warlord’ (red box), then as ‘Warlord’ (blue box) and then as ‘Apocalypse’ (Games Workshop).

This is to let you know that this autumn I will offer for sale 500 copies of the first edition of ‘Classic Warlord’ an even better version of my original game. The 8 part board in Classic Warlord now covers 600 regions. Improvements to the Rules drive the game along to its apocalyptic conclusion. No expense has been spared in the design of the board and the assembly of parts for this new edition of the game.
Classic Warlord intends to be the ultimate version of the 70’s classic game. As one journalist (Steven McClarence) commented after playing the game for the first time – ‘It beats the hell out of Monopoly’.

If you want to reserve a game and place an order – price will not exceed £60 (plus postage and packaging) - please contact me at m.hayes@sheffield.ac.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.