Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on a "free print-n-play" kick lately. These are games that are completely free if you print out the game components yourself. Naturally, since there is no cost for the designer, the barrier for entry is low and thus the quality of these games tends to vary. What I'm trying to say is I've printed-n-played a few clunkers.

Also, I'm trying to find a decent solitaire game. Solitaires have their own challenges. A solitaire computer game can challenge you with a decent AI, one that adapts to your play style. A board game either has a fixed response or you roll dice and find the result on the response chart.

Enki-Des is both "free print-n-play" AND a solitaire game so my expectations were low. On the other hand, the game only required me to print out two pages and there isn't any cutting or assembly so really it's asking very little of me to try it out.

In short: fight 6 dudes one after the other by rolling dice.

In longer...

Each dude has his own quirks, strengths and weaknesses. The dude you are currently battling does a fixed amount of damage to you every turn. Nothing to think about here.

You have three attributes which can be customized at the start of the game and even leveled up during play. On your turn, you roll three dice, choose two, and look up the result on a chart. So, for example, a 4 and a 2 let me heal some while a 6 and a 5 let me deal some damage.

The object of the game is to find the "special thing" (which you do by rolling dice to beat a fairly high target number) while also defeating all 6 dudes. I know I'm being vague on theme and that's because I want to talk about that all by itself after I talk about gameplay. And the game play is very nice. A good game is all about having choices and I found enough here to enjoy myself. I got to choose my attributes at the start and every turn I had two or three choices based on my dice rolls. Actually, you have even another choice: instead of choosing an action based on your current dice roll, you can "lock" a die for the next turn. So if I'm not excited about any of my available choices for this turn I could save a die result for next turn to improve my chances of getting what I want.

OK, I want to move on the theme. For some reason, the theme hooked me so good it is the whole reason I wanted to post a review.

"Enki-Des is a game that tells the tale of an Ukri warrior — you — who has passed on to the afterlife." The Enki-Des are gates that you have to pass through to get to Ukri paradise. To pass through the first six gates you have to defeat the gate guardians. To pass through the final gate you have to present your Enko-ori, or essence pearl. "Ukri warriors who have lived long and honorable lives are granted their Enko-ori freely when they die, but you have died a young, untested warrior. You must therefore search for you Enko-ori as you battle the guardians of the Enki-Des." Battle the guardians and search for your soul pearl to get into heaven!

Maybe it was something about sitting alone in a quiet room, but I really sunk into this story. I picked my attributes based on the type of warrior I wanted to pretend to be, I leveled up based on how I imagined my experience was going, I felt genuinely stressed at battles that weren't going well and genuine relief when I rolled a lucky hit. At one point I had a question about the rules and chose the easier interpretation and then felt that I was going to be judged by the final gate guardian for my cowardice. I also liked how the guardians were different for each gate, and not merely tougher; it kept it fresh. I guess just as some people like train games and some people like WW2 games, I really clicked with this afterlife journey thing.

Conclusion, the game is easy to make, easy to learn, has just enough choices to be interesting without getting bogged down, and the theme feels just right. I really enjoyed myself and look forward to playing some more. I can even see myself spending more time making the components nicer to enhance my immersion.

I think some appropriate background music will make my next run even more immersive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Maybe it was something about sitting alone in a quiet room, but I really sunk into this story. I picked my attributes based on the type of warrior I wanted to prent to be, I leveled up based on how I imagined my experience was going, I felt genuinely stressed at battles that weren't going well and genuine relief when I rolled a lucky hit. At one point I had a question about the rules and chose the easier interpretation and then felt that I was going to be judged by the final gate guardian for my cowardice. I also liked how the guardians were different for each gate, and not merely tougher; it kept it fresh. I guess just as some people like train games and some people like WW2 games, I really clicked with this afterlife journey thing.

I'm glad you liked the game! You really made my day. This is exactly the experience that I wanted the player to have!

The action chart is getting an update, if you're interested. I actually thought that I had already uploaded it to BGG, but apparently not! It should be up in a couple of days. If that's too long to wait, I'm very willing to send you the files if you Geekmail me your email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd play... almost bit it at Todolan-Shri's gate (again). Lost all my Training, just started losing my Creativity, finally hit 5x3 and got a 25 for my "search". Passed to the last gate, help up my hard won Enko-ori, and felt the bliss of heaven wash over me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated files for the game have been approved and are available in the Files section of the game's BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.